PDA

View Full Version : Which Router Table & Fence

Tom Kelley
02-25-2005, 10:30 AM
Hi, I am new to the Creek and would like some input. I want to buy a router table and fence. The router that will go in the table will be the Bosch 1617EVS, which I love compared to my old Craftsman. I have narrowed it down to three possibilities: Rockler, MLCS and Hartville Tool. If anyone has had experience with one of these I would appreciate any opinions. Who knows you might prevent me from making a big mistake. And I've made some beauties!
Thanks,
Tom Kelley
:confused:

JayStPeter
02-25-2005, 11:18 AM
I like the Woodpeck inserts myself. Their Al insert is the same size as the Plungelift and PRL. So, if you ever upgrade, you don't need to toss the table.
As for tables, I've made a few of them. Making your own gives you the flexibility to design in the options you like. If you don't like it, another piece of MDF and the other half of the formica piece you used last time will make a new one. Build your own fence too.
My feeling is that you don't really know what you want and what you like until you've used one. So, start with something simple and see what features you would like to add. Then modify or rebuild the parts you want changed. I used a piece of MDF clamped to the table as my fence for a year or so.
I currently use a plungelift and a Jointech cabinetmakers system. I like them, but went through a number of different variants to get there. I have built a couple fences dedicated to a specific purpose to go along with it (although they were lost in my last move along with some other router accessories).

Jay

Cecil Arnold
02-25-2005, 3:16 PM
I agree with Jay. You are better off building your own, and you can build a really great table for about what you would pay for the top and some legs to support your router, plus you can build in decent dust control. You may want to look at the NYW (Norm) plan, which I think you can build for well under $200. I think it compairs or exceeds some I have seen in the $4-500 range.

Ken Garlock
02-25-2005, 7:15 PM
Welcome to the creek, Tom. Come and wade in any time and do it often. :)

I am a WoodPecker (http://www.woodpeck.com/) fan. You can find everything you will need to have a nice router table in your shop. They sell everything from a blank table top, up through a complete table, stand, router lift, and fence. They are easy people to deal with, and Justin, one of the sales reps. is a member of the creek. Drop them an Email and explain what you want to do, and I am sure they will have a solution. :cool:

Keith Christopher
02-25-2005, 10:30 PM
For a long time I used a piece of plywood with a hold cut into it and the router mounted underneath . I would take this and spread my workmate wide and screw it to the top. I would put a straight piece of wood for a fence. and it worked just fine. I could run the width of the wood or the length. I used it exclusivey. I only upgraded to the jointech because I wanted the ability to accurately move the fence back and forth. Build your own first then upgrade.

Dave Avery
02-26-2005, 7:35 AM
I have the Rockler left table saw extension routet table and fence and I like it pretty well. You save space by incorporating the table in your saw, but you lose time in that you have to remove the fence sometimes for crosscutting and sheet goods work.

Tom Kelley
02-28-2005, 4:47 PM
Thanks for everyones ideas. I have a much better idea of what to do.
Thanks Again:)
Tom

Bob Yarbrough
02-28-2005, 6:58 PM
I bought a Rockler table and PC Router that allows you to raise/lower and change the bit from the top. The PC Router also came with a plunge base. Table, switch, legs, safety kit & router ran about $525. Very happy with the investment.

Steve Elias
02-28-2005, 10:28 PM
Bosch is coming out with a new router base for the 1617 that is designed for mounting to a router table. It allows you to raise/lower the router from above the table without removing the router. It does not allow infinite adjustment; instead, it allows for adjustment within the limited range of the fine adjustment knob on the 1617. At $50-60 it is the alternative I will go with as it will be easy to swap the 1617 in and out of the router table with the additional base. THe model number is RA-1165, I think. The nearly identical RA-1164 has been out for a while. The only change is the adjustment "key" and above table adjustment capability as far as I can tell. Anyway, there's another consideration for you if you haven't already done so. Good luck with the decision.

-Steve

Jerry Olexa
03-01-2005, 12:06 AM
Few years ago, I bought the Rockler top and fence etc and have been very pleased. For the $, it has been excellent. Started w a basic PC 690 router and worked fine. Since I have upgraded to a bigger router w var speed,etc and the table has performed well. It still amazes mw what you can accomplish w a router when mounted on a table w a good fence, etc. I build the cherry arch headboard of an earlier post using this table exclusively. There are more expensive tables out there but I for one have been v happy w this set up. I did build my own legs, cabinet, etc. HTH