PDA

View Full Version : Oak Burl Vessel

Allen stagg
09-20-2011, 8:50 PM
I received a burl as shown in photo from some friends on another forum. It was about a 3" oak limb with a burl that grew completely around it. It ended up about 14" diameter and 20" long. I turned shape as shown in photo and then taped it up to keep from coming apart, knowing that it was going to have a lot of voids in it and expecially with a couple of burl knots that I hoped would stay together and it did, but barely as it have very little wood holding it together and can feel it move. I haven't put a finish on it yet and want to let it dry out a little more and climatize before putting a finish to it as it was a little green, but close to dry, so shouldn't take long to dry the rest of the way. Anyway, here it is. This is my first post and first vessel I have made in a good while or since last spring. Summer has been quite hot here in Southeast Texas and been too busy to get out and turn much or even feel like getting out and turning. We have had the hottest summer on record and are still in record drought. Anyway, enjoy.

Don Alexander
09-20-2011, 8:52 PM
absolutely AWESOME wood and you re making agreat looking vessel out of it

Marty Eargle
09-20-2011, 8:52 PM
Yikes! That's one gnarly chunk of beautiful. I can only imagine it's going through your tools like a champ.

Look forward to seeing the finished product when you get a few cool days.

Allen stagg
09-20-2011, 8:53 PM
Here are the rest of photos.

Tony De Masi
09-20-2011, 8:55 PM
That was a pretty daunting task you took on Allen but it sure looks like you knew how to handle this. And I also like the use of the tape too. It's actually something that fits in quite well with the various recent posts about saftey. Really looking forward to you posting the final product.

David E Keller
09-20-2011, 8:56 PM
I hate turning oak, but I think I could make an exception for something like this... Wow! What a gorgeous piece of wood! Looks like you did a great job with it, and I hope you'll post some more photos when you get it finished up!

Allen stagg
09-20-2011, 8:57 PM
That was a pretty daunting task you took on Allen but it sure looks like you knew how to handle this. And I also like the use of the tape too. It's actually something that fits in quite well with the various recent posts about saftey. Really looking forward to you posting the final product.

It has so many voids and hollow areas, the tape was to help hold some of those small pieces together and not fall out. Expecially those two knots in the latter photos that are barely hanging together. The tape worked well.

And agree, I hate oak also normally, but coudn't resist this burl.

Bernie Weishapl
09-20-2011, 9:11 PM
That is going to be a beauty when you get the finish on it. I turned some oak burl and I used duct tape on it to keep it together.

charlie knighton
09-20-2011, 9:17 PM
Allen, nice oak, love your form, good idea on the tape, that stuff is just the right price compared to......

David DeCristoforo
09-20-2011, 9:18 PM
Great job so far. That burl looks like one gnarly chunk of wood! She's a beaut!

Michelle Rich
09-21-2011, 6:07 AM
can't wait to see it finished

Russell Eaton
09-21-2011, 7:20 AM
Allen that is going to be one very sweet piece when you get it finished. +1 for showing the after finish pictures.

Allen stagg
09-21-2011, 7:38 AM
I promise to show the after finish. Will likeky be a few weeks from now though to insure it s ready and to do the finish itself.

John Keeton
09-21-2011, 8:09 AM
Allen, lots of wood missing on that one!! Great job on taping and holding it together, and a neat looking finished piece. The finish will really bring it to life.

Tim Rinehart
09-21-2011, 10:40 AM
Definitely looking forward to completed piece. Thanks for posting the progress!

Steve Schlumpf
09-21-2011, 10:50 AM
I'm liking it so far!! Looking forward to seeing it once finished!!

Allen stagg
10-07-2011, 7:53 PM
Finished Product. Satin Lacquer finish. This piece measures aproximately 13" tall and 10 inch diameter. This piece is pure Burl. Finished quite nice and is quickly becoming on of my favorites.

Jon Prouty
10-07-2011, 9:30 PM
Great piece! Love it. JP

Joe Watson
10-07-2011, 11:11 PM
wow, that had to be a daunting task from start to finish.
Thanks for sharing.

Ed Morgano
10-07-2011, 11:23 PM
That is simply beautiful. You could have picked something easier to warm up on after not turning for a while. :D

Baxter Smith
10-07-2011, 11:33 PM
That looks pretty ancient. Pretty great too! Well done from start to finish!

Kathy Marshall
10-08-2011, 2:34 AM
Looks great Allen! Great job keeping it together!

Rich Aldrich
10-08-2011, 8:51 AM
Real nice peice of wood. I like the form. What do you put under the masking tape when you wrap the wood for turning the inside?

Allen stagg
10-08-2011, 9:27 AM
Real nice peice of wood. I like the form. What do you put under the masking tape when you wrap the wood for turning the inside?I put duct tape first, but the laser didn't show up well on that, so I just covered it with masking tape. However, I have used just masking tape before and holds well enough for it to stay together. Just need to go slow is the main ingredient as well as a sharp tool and as fast as you can get away with on lathe speed.

Josh Bowman
10-08-2011, 10:26 AM
gnarly dude! http://profile.ak.fbcdn.net/hprofile-ak-snc4/41577_300815651251_376339_n.jpgThat's right down my alley. I like the voids and inclusions.

allen thunem
10-08-2011, 12:20 PM
fabulous piece imho i liked the look of it right off the lathe without the lacquer

Allen stagg
10-08-2011, 1:29 PM
fabulous piece imho i liked the look of it right off the lathe without the lacquerIt turned out darker than I would have liked myself. However, no stain was used, just finish.

David DeCristoforo
10-08-2011, 2:17 PM
It looks like there is another case of the rare Kelleritis down there in Texas. Nice job on this. You certainly got the max out of that burl.