PDA

View Full Version : Powermatic PM 180 or 18" Rockwell Wedgebed?

Keith Avery
09-20-2011, 7:37 PM
Longterm I want to upgrade all my woodworking tools to older ARN. I enjoyed my refurb of a Delta RAS as much as woodworking and was wondering? I think my next upgrade will be my planer. I currently have a Jet 13" planer/molder ,but would like to upgrade and am thinking PM 180 or Delta Wedgebed 18"? I have bought a rotary phase converter that I think will handle a 5hp planer and was wondering if you had to choose one, which you would buy, if they were about the same age, same price and needed similar work?

matt wormmeester
09-20-2011, 7:59 PM
Powermatic, I don't have either one, but people rave about the PM stuff. It's on my long term wish list, even a little PM100 is a thousand times better than the chiwanese stuff.

Rick Lizek
09-20-2011, 8:05 PM
Go with the PM. I have the Wedgebed and it's a great machine but it the worm gear on the feed mechanism goes it's expensive if even available now. I work on machines and can deal with it but you would be looking at problems.

Paul McGaha
09-20-2011, 8:06 PM
Keith,

There was a thread a few months ago about a Powermatic Planer Restoration. I'm not sure which model it was. It was a great thread. You might search for it here on the creek. It was fascinating.

I think it was titled something like Powermatic 180 restoration or maybe it was a PM-100.

PHM

David Kumm
09-20-2011, 9:55 PM
Condition is more important than model. The wedgebed had some issues to watch for so go to OWWM.org for specific info. The delta rockwell is actually an old Yates American design so you may see those as well. The PM is highly regarded. It does have a larger footprint and does not a have a separate feed motor as does the Delta so a 5hp delta has more grunt than the PM. Machine with a grinder is preferred. I don't believe the quiet head was available on the 180 but avoid it. Dave

Gregory Stahl
09-20-2011, 10:30 PM
PM 180! I own one with a Byrd cutterhead--it is a fantastic machine and can be had for a very reasonable price. I paid $1200 for mine in excellent condition.

My former employer owned a Delta wedgebed. We had issues with the table height adjustment and finally junked the machine.

Jerome Hanby
09-20-2011, 10:46 PM
If it's anything like the old Powermatic I got a look at a while back, Powermatic all the way. That freaking thing was a force of nature! If I had an extra $1000 bucks and half a football team with me to load and unload the thing it'd be in my shop right now.

Kyle Brooks
09-20-2011, 11:03 PM
I just bought a PM 100 and Powermatic is unbelievable. This is the second piece of Powermatic equipment that I own. I told my wife tonight that if I get another piece of equipment it is going to be Powermatic. I'm sold if you can't half tell.

Keith Avery
09-24-2011, 12:20 AM
It turns out the answer was a General 330 20" planer. It is a little bigger and a lot heavier but I think at least as good!!!

David Kumm
09-24-2011, 12:34 AM
Actually the General is a step up. About 500 lbs heavier. Parts might be a little harder to find but you are unlikely to break anything on that machine. Is it 5 or 7.5 hp? Solid or sectional chipbreakers? Is the grinder complete? Great choice. About a million times better than most current machines save high end euros. They are rare here and even rarer in the correct voltage. Dave

Keith Avery
09-24-2011, 12:50 AM
It was an admin person from the school system who sold it through ebay and she didn't know much about it. They recieved it new in 1982 and it worked well when they closed their shop last year. It is 5 hp 3 phase and she didn't know much else. Once I get it I will let you know but I doubt the grinder is with it as it was optional at the time. Can't answer on the chip breaker either yet. Manual says it weighs 1850#s and is variable speed 20-55 fpm.

Dirk Lewis
09-24-2011, 10:21 AM
Good score, a lifetime machine. Parts aren't an issue as that planer is still being made by General Canada (I just order some part for mine). The footprint on these are small for the machine as the motor is tucked in behind.

If that is the picture of what you bought, the grinder bar is mounted across the top.

I think you're going to really like that machine.

David Kumm
09-24-2011, 10:27 AM
Keith, The grinder bar is why I asked about it. Ask the school if the motor and stone are laying around somewhere. They would have been ordered together. Sectional chipbreaker is nice to have but not a big deal. Dave

Keith Avery
09-24-2011, 11:06 AM
I saw the grinder bar but thought that was standard and the actually grinder and jointer/setter were optional. I will talk to the school before I go there. Thanks for the info. I knew it was still made so parts are available but I suspect anything I needed to replace would cost more than I paid for the planer.

David Kumm
09-24-2011, 11:43 AM
That is possible Keith and you are correct. A grinder with a planer adds little value but purchased separately they seem to go for 500-800. Dave

Gary Herrmann
09-24-2011, 1:19 PM
I've got that planer's little brother. The 130. You're really going to like General equipment. I've got 4 of their tools.

Keith Avery
09-24-2011, 6:18 PM
David,
For some reason I was thinking the grinder bar was standard but the actual grinder and setter were optional, but I am sure you are right. They must have bought it all together. I will try talking to them and seeing if I can track down someone who may know where it is, if it is still around. I emailed General on Friday about availability of buying a grinder but even if its available I suspect it would cost twice or more what I paid for the planer.

David Kumm
09-24-2011, 8:33 PM
Keith it is still nice to have the bar as they are factory set and retrofitting them is a pain. Still think that is a beautiful planer. 20" is unusual as most small planers were 18. Newman made a great 20 as well. Dave