PDA

View Full Version : Large (I thought) Bowl

Tom Winship
09-20-2011, 6:17 PM
A friend let me have some live oak that was cut down for a right of way. Not one to be discouraged about it being live oak, I have made several bowls from it. All green.
My wife has been wanting me to make a larger bow, so that was what I started out to do this afternoon. Hard to make an 11" bowl when the blank is only 8".
This one wound up 7" in dia. x 5" tall. I was really working the gouge in a crowded space. Decided to sand to 600, finish with tack cloth and remove tenon.
Thanks to Kathy Marshall for giving me the courage to go from log to bowl in a couple of hours. Will bag it now.
Comments and criticism invited.

charlie knighton
09-20-2011, 6:44 PM
pretty wood, thanks for sharing

Steve Vaughan
09-20-2011, 8:48 PM
That's a very nice looking bowl. Really love the grain and color too!

Don Alexander
09-20-2011, 8:58 PM
absolutely love oak and your form works well for my taste very well done

Bernie Weishapl
09-20-2011, 9:05 PM
Pretty wood and bowl Tom.

Kathy Marshall
09-21-2011, 1:13 AM
Nice bowl Tom! Looks like you did a good job on the inside, it can be tough to do a deep bowl like that with steep sides and get a nice transition to the bottom, looks good. Let me know how the bagging works for you!

Tom Winship
09-21-2011, 8:50 AM
Kathy, I have about 10 bowls in bags and am opening them every day for a while. Have started leaving them partially open. Am tempted to set one out in the house. They are all inside the house now. Never asked if you left yours in the shop or inside. Thanks again.

John Keeton
09-21-2011, 9:00 AM
Tom, that is some really nice looking wood! And, great job on the transition at the bottom - very smooth and well done. Looks like you are in production!!

Roger Chandler
09-21-2011, 11:15 AM
Nice one Tom!