PDA

View Full Version : Septarillion - Red Mallee Burl Turned and Carved (Now with progress pics!)

Matt Hutchinson
09-20-2011, 3:19 PM
Okay, so whose bright idea was it to relief carve a Red Mallee burl? Man, what a challenging wood! Brittle grain going every which way really made life difficult. It rotary carves just fine, but when hand carving (even with a freshly honed gouge) light finishing cuts would often result in small chunks just popping out.

That said, I am pleased with the outcome of this piece. After all the hassle I think it's not a bad first piece with this wood. I entered it into this year's Artprize competition here in Grand Rapids, MI, and I just installed it this morning.

The first photo was taken in the shop, and the second is my "installation practice" in my front entry way.

Title: Septarillion
Wood: Red Mallee Burl
Size: 19"x13"x2"
Finish: General Finishes Enduro-Var

Now that it's done maybe I can get a good night's sleep. :D

Hutch

John Keeton
09-20-2011, 3:54 PM
Hutch, I love the concept of this carving!! So neat! But, I sure wouldn't have the patience to try it on an Aussie burl - better you than me. Looks like you did a great job.

Alan Trout
09-20-2011, 3:56 PM
That is really nice. That is the type of piece that is a bugger to photograph. I bet it is even better in person.

Alan

Tim Rinehart
09-20-2011, 4:00 PM
That is really nice. That is the type of piece that is a bugger to photograph. I bet it is even better in person.

Alan
Exactly my thoughts. Looks great though, glad it survived without incident. Too expensive a burl to have an 'oops' with. Well done!

charlie knighton
09-20-2011, 6:49 PM
Matt, that is very nice, i saw it this afternoon and was dumbfounded, i have never seen anyone carve any burl, much less an exotic

btw there is another thread out there for some burls and other woods, one of them is white top, have you ever turned it , like to see a picture of some, what is a comparable american wood if there is one

Steve bellinger
09-20-2011, 7:29 PM
matt i think this is one sharp piece. i love every thing about it. Good luck at the show.

Dick Wilson
09-20-2011, 7:44 PM
Hey Matt, I have been giving some serious thought of turning some wall hangings. Can I copy your piece???? lol:D:D;) Seriously a very nice first. I love it. I will take a look at it when I am at Art Prize.

David E Keller
09-20-2011, 8:59 PM
This is a cool piece, Hutch! Personally, I think you're nuts to try and carve that stuff, but I love the results! Somehow these Aussie burls always seem to be worth the extra effort. Good luck on the show!

Bernie Weishapl
09-20-2011, 9:02 PM
Beautiful piece Hutch.

John M. Smith
09-20-2011, 9:56 PM
Can't wait to see it in person. Going to be there Saturday.

Kathy Marshall
09-21-2011, 1:07 AM
Beautiful piece! The carving looks great and the wood is sweet! Love the color!

Nathan Hawkes
09-21-2011, 9:31 AM
I'm always impressed with your work Hutch! As for your finish, could you elaborate a bit on technique? A couple of the guys in our turning club have started to use it, with mixed results. Your finish looks great! I'd like to try it for a few special pieces that deserve a little "extra". Thanks in advance.

Matt Hutchinson
09-21-2011, 11:06 AM
Thanks all!

Nathan - I recently purchased a high quality HVLP, and it works great to build up layers when going for a high gloss finish. I chose the Enduro-Var because unlike typical water based finishes it has an amber tone and makes the wood really pop. It also will amber more with age just like traditional varnish. It's expensive stuff, and it might be tempting to layer cheaper material on top after the initial coats, but you can't/shouldn't. It's a stand alone finish, and is not compatible with any other water based finish....not even other General Finishes products. Also, I would typically rub out/buff the finish after it has cured, but I didn't have time before installation. The finish shown in the pics is straight from the sprayer.

-Hutch

Barry Richardson
09-21-2011, 11:16 AM
Great work Matt! Thanks for the inspiration! Yet another technique I will add to my list to attempt some day!

Matt Hutchinson
09-21-2011, 12:41 PM
Here is a link to photos of the creation process of this piece.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.202293369816992.52468.153694648010198&type=1
(https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.202293369816992.52468.153694648010198&type=1)
If you get a window that says you have to log in to continue just hit cancel. It's lying to you. :)

-Hutch

Jon Nuckles
09-21-2011, 11:06 PM
Very impressive, Matt. Thanks for posting the link to the process pictures. The difference the finish makes on that burl is unbelievable.

Josh Bowman
09-22-2011, 6:29 AM
That is one sharp piece Hutch. Good luck in the competition. It's a sure winner.

Baxter Smith
09-22-2011, 7:47 PM
Very pretty. Thanks for the additional pictures Matt.

Matt Hutchinson
09-24-2011, 7:26 AM
Thank all!

-Hutch

Michelle Rich
09-24-2011, 11:40 AM
thanks for doing all the hard work and sharing..this is awesome