PDA

View Full Version : Rough Cut - Woodworking with Tommy Mac

John Fabre
09-20-2011, 2:26 PM
Looks like the shows are starting Oct. 1st on PBS in Salt Lake city, UT. He builds a Dressing Mirror for the first project.

Did anyone like his other projects/shows?

Brent Ring
09-20-2011, 2:35 PM
Enjoyed them - looking forward to more!

Jerome Hanby
09-20-2011, 2:48 PM
I think he should take a sedative before getting on camera and quit doing the road trip every episode. Even as-is, any new woodworking show is a good woodworking show.

Rick Prosser
09-20-2011, 2:50 PM
He has is own style, but I am usually entertained. I agree on fewer road trips.

Joe Angrisani
09-20-2011, 2:52 PM
Personally, I enjoy his energy level and the road trips. Being it was the first season, I think it's shaping up to be the best woodworking show on tv (if it isn't already).

Jerome Hanby
09-20-2011, 2:56 PM
Isn't the only other one American Woodshop? I guess there's Woodsmith Shop too. And The Woodwright's Shop. If we could get Norm and David Marks back, we'd be rocking :D!

Out of that group, and this is purely my taste, Tommy might beat out Scott Phillips, but I'd watch the Woodsmith guys or Roy Underhill first any day.

Trent Shirley
09-20-2011, 3:08 PM
Unfortunately in my area I only have The Woodsmith Shop and recently Tommy Mac. I like both shows but I find The Woodsmith Shop to give the greatest amount of detailed and useful information while Tommy Mac is more of a general overview and examples of higher end work.

Kyle Iwamoto
09-20-2011, 3:14 PM
I concur on the nixing of the road trips. I met him at a woodshow. Didn't know who was at the time, since Rough Cut wasn't playing here at the time. He's just like that in person. 110% energy. Likable guy and I like his show. Strong. He about crushed my hand when we shook hands. And I personally don't think I'm a girly handshaker.
Also concur on Roy Underhill, although I can't duplicate anything he does. He makes everything he does LOOK so easy and effortless. I can do that, I seen Roy do it. NOT!!!!!

Von Bickley
09-20-2011, 3:14 PM
I have seen several episodes of "Rough Cut" and I have not been impressed. I would rather watch Norm re-runs.

Jeff Monson
09-20-2011, 3:49 PM
I'd like to know why my PBS doesnt air rough cut? I can get woodturning workshop, I dont own a lathe.

Jerome Hanby
09-20-2011, 3:52 PM
I've got the opposite problem, they show Rough Cut but haven't aired a woodturning workshop since around January on either PBS or Create!

I'd like to know why my PBS doesnt air rough cut? I can get woodturning workshop, I dont own a lathe.

Andrew Pitonyak
09-20-2011, 4:13 PM
My wife does not mind his show, so it is one that I can turn on even if the wife is hanging out with me.... I like is personality, he is contagious.

Joseph Tarantino
09-20-2011, 6:18 PM
I think he should take a sedative before getting on camera and quit doing the road trip every episode. Even as-is, any new woodworking show is a good woodworking show.

+1. less hyperactive, less travel and more woodworking would make for a more informatice program.

Peter Aeschliman
09-20-2011, 6:31 PM
I like guys who have some character. He definitely talks quickly and is a little twitchy, but I like it! I always found Norm to be too robotic. And don't even get me started on the Woodsmith Shop guys. I like their content for the most part (although most of it is too geared towards beginners, IMO). But they are so cheesy that sometimes I'd rather blow my brains out than watch that show! ha ha

Terry's pencil mustache, mullet, and denim shirt kill me! lol

Cody Colston
09-20-2011, 6:44 PM
And don't even get me started on the Woodsmith Shop guys. I like their content for the most part (although most of it is too geared towards beginners, IMO). But they are so cheesy that sometimes I'd rather blow my brains out than watch that show! ha ha

+1 :D:D:D

I like Tommy Mac, too, but his shows don't come close to demonstrating his immense talent. His podcasts do a lot better job in that regard. An hour-long show would also help.

However, like has already been said, any woodworking show is better than most any other programming IMHO.

Randy Dutkiewicz
09-20-2011, 7:30 PM
I like Tommy's enthusiasm also and agree it's contagious!! He actually makes me laugh sometimes with his comments:) I agree with all others that they should reduce the number of road trips. Also, I wish he would show more complex and in depth usage of his skills/tools. That's what I really miss about the NYW - Norm always had his camera men shooting every step of the project with close up shots. I bet Tommy is the "life at any party"!

Paul McGaha
09-20-2011, 7:55 PM
I like Tommy's show. I like the site visits too. You never know, You might want to visit one of those places he goes to.

The tour of that school where he was trained was interesting.

Has a well equiped shop, and seems really big too.

PHM

Joe Fabbri
09-20-2011, 9:25 PM
PBS used to air his show here on Long Island, but not anymore. I overall enjoyed his show. Like most woodworking shows, it's partly or mostly to be entertained and at the same time to pick up a tip or two (the internet and forums like this are the most informative). I thought Rough Cut was a good balance between hand and power tools, and yes I'd like to see it aired again locally, no matter how hyped up he is, haha. I mean, where else will you get:

Tommy Mac: "I'm sure this piece will be around for another hundred years, just like you."

--'I don't know about that, but....'

Tommy Mac: "Yeah, maybe you're right, thanks for inviting us...."

Not verbatim, but close enough, haha. Definitely entertaining at times.

Peter Quinn
09-20-2011, 9:38 PM
I look forward to the new season. I watched pretty much every episode several times, I learned something valuable from every episode, and I really like the road trips. That is right out of the TOH playbook. I wish the show were a bit longer format, because at 30 minutes, the pace is a bit quick and verges on cursory in spots. Imagine trying to present ANY wood working projects or concepts from idea to completion in 30 minutes? Good luck. Remember Norm's first seasons? I'd rather watch fungus grow between my toes, but he turned out pretty well!. DJ Marks is still my benchmark for fine wood working shows, but T-Mac is a solid winner in my book. And being from New England his accent scores solid points with me. I'll be tuned in for sure.

Paul McGaha
09-21-2011, 7:52 AM
I agree with what others have suggested in that wouldnt it be great if it was a 1 hour show.

PHM

mike holden
09-21-2011, 10:00 AM
The road trip is the best part of the show in my opinion.

Mike

Matt Kestenbaum
09-21-2011, 12:25 PM
I like his show and can't wait to see the tweaks his producers have made for the new season. I've never seen David Mark's show (doesn't seem any of the philly/NJ/NY pbs stations carry it because in our area we get all those market's affiliates), but based on the Marc Spagnuolo's (woodwhisperer) i'd at least give the benefit of the doubt. Rough Cut is really the best of any woodworking show's I've ever seen. He understands the role of modern power tools/machinery techniques and has mad skills with hand tools too. Using a router plane to eliminate the crumbs in a dado cut on the table-saw, nice little detail. I like that his field trips tend to have direct bearing on the evolution of design and or skill development...not just out hunting for tables in antique shops to copy. Tommy is the real deal. Have you watched any of the webcasts of his building the Bombe Secretarty, back from before he was tapped for the tv show? This was the piece of furniture that got him noticed. Holy smoke!! The webisodes where he screwed-up some profiled edging and has to rip/chisel out a glued-in, profiled doubler from the bottom case top...that should be on TV. The mounting risk/reward of each step in a massive project, the pain of having to undo the mistake and start over on work that took days to layout and carve...he was practically tearing his hair out. THAT'S WOOWORKING BABY! Do any of the of other TV woodworkers even have a piece in a museum?

Imagine the Woodsmith hosts trying to explain how to cut dovetails or carve a ball/claw foot? In thirty minutes? Fahgetttabout it! I don't think there has ever been a soap opera more tightly scripted than that show. If somebody ad-libs are they taken out and beaten? Although, i must say, that sometimes it is fun to see them finish each-others sentences while staring dazedly into the lens. Sometimes I wonder if any of those guys are allowed to enter the shop without a buddy.

Scott Philip's show flat out disgusts me...I watched an episode once where he was trying to hold and alternate use of three different power sanders all at the same time. Scott Philips strikes me as a cross between an used car salesman mixed with the Simpson's Ned Flanders. Hey ho-diddly-dokey woodworkers...all the same i'd keep children away from him. Norm was certainly a like-able everyman for TV, but he was really more of a site carpenter than a furniture artisan. He was entertaining and he drew many to the craft, but once you get more than past the surface you realize most everything he touched was made with of plywood or pine and nails, finished in polyurethane. Not exactly heirlooms.

Jerome Hanby
09-21-2011, 12:27 PM
I would love a show that was nothing but the road trip. This format (and Norm's for that matter) is a bum's rush through some interesting location then a mad dash through some project.

The road trip is the best part of the show in my opinion.

Mike

Peter Aeschliman
09-21-2011, 12:35 PM
Yeah, I agree. The road trip could just be split out into a separate show if they think it's important. I watch woodworking shows to learn about how to build furniture, not to learn about antiques or history. I know the road trips play into each week's project somehow, but I think the time would be better used going into more detail about how to make furniture. It feels too rushed. But I love the show and I was thrilled when the Seattle area finally started airing it last year.

Jerome Hanby
09-21-2011, 1:20 PM
With all the hype about the "new media" this would be a great opportunity to combine internet and broadcast content. Put all the road trip stuff on a web site as well as bunches of still pictures and maybe raw shop footage of doing all the operations, warts and all. It would be a great way to create a lot of buzz about the show and get good feedback, as well as build an online community.

Don Jarvie
09-22-2011, 1:56 PM
Each show is focused on a woodworking skill, like hand-cut dovetails, and using the project to demonstate how to use the skill in a project. Norm and others are focused on the project and may use multiple skills, biscuits, mortising hinges, to complete the project.

This is why the show seems so rushed. When he had the guy from North Bennett Street School to show how to lay out a mortise and tenon, it took at least 5 to 7 minutes of the show. In a 24 minute show that a huge amount of time focusing on 1 thing. Any other WWing show it would be 2 minutes tops for a mortise and tenon.

If you keep this in mind while watching the show you can understand why some parts seem to be skipped or missed. Hopefully the show will be smoother for year 2.

Jerome Hanby
09-22-2011, 2:50 PM
Good point. I'm probably already out of kilter because it sounds like I'm watching a scene from Good Will Hunting...

Each show is focused on a woodworking skill, like hand-cut dovetails, and using the project to demonstate how to use the skill in a project. Norm and others are focused on the project and may use multiple skills, biscuits, mortising hinges, to complete the project.

This is why the show seems so rushed. When he had the guy from North Bennett Street School to show how to lay out a mortise and tenon, it took at least 5 to 7 minutes of the show. In a 24 minute show that a huge amount of time focusing on 1 thing. Any other WWing show it would be 2 minutes tops for a mortise and tenon.

If you keep this in mind while watching the show you can understand why some parts seem to be skipped or missed. Hopefully the show will be smoother for year 2.

Jay Allen
09-22-2011, 8:36 PM
I much prefer David Marks to any of them with Norm coming in second....most of the others are a bit stiff or quirky, but watch-able.

Scott Phillips, If you can't say something nice...

Peter Elliott
09-22-2011, 8:58 PM
I like Tommy's show... I think he will "polish up" with 2nd and 3rd seasons..

Has anyone seen Norms and Dave Marks first shows... Norm could put you to sleep and Dave was all over the place.

I can't imagine trying to jam any woodworking project of Tommy caliber into 30min.

The one thing I like about the field trips is seeing other craftsman skills. From North Bentz St. to Western Mass watching dovetails.

Norm would frequently take trips as well.. so Tommy trips are nothing new.

Norm is an idol to me.. Met him in person and prob have every episode. What is different with Tommy is the combination of hand tools and machines. I'll bet he won't pull out the famous brad gun on his show.

I'd say Roughcut has a good place in the woodworking tv. Just like Norm and Dave have.

Rod Sheridan
09-23-2011, 8:27 AM
I couldn't have said it better than Peter did.

I dislike Tommy's frantic approach, however I do like his mix of hand and power tools as it reflects my personal approach to wood working. I think that Tommy will only improve with more television experience.

I haven't had the opportunity to watch David Marks, so I won't comment on him.

Norm isn't an idol to me, however I am grateful to him for popularising wood working, to the great extent that he did. I won't miss the brad nailer or the poly, however I will miss him, his warmth, and enthusiasm for wood working.

Norm is a tough act to follow for any wood working television show.

Regards, Rod.

John Fabre
10-06-2011, 3:17 AM
The second season is off to a good start, a hour long show would be better. Anything with wood and clamps in it has to be good.

Jim Matthews
10-06-2011, 7:25 AM
Rough Cut makes me appreciate Woodworks with David Marks all the more.

This show is much like the NBSS teaser courses, designed to capture your interest, but to brief to actually get skills across.
I would rather watch hockey, thanks.

Joe Mioux
10-06-2011, 9:20 AM
He seems like he would be fun guy to talk to in person, but the show is too hyperactive for me. I find myself being distracted by his presentation and mannerisms.

The road trips don't bother me. Maybe if it were an hour long show or a two part series type format I would enjoy it more.

Doug Swanson
10-07-2011, 8:03 AM
Where did you find his podcasts...can't seem to find it.

Richard Rodgers
10-08-2011, 10:27 AM
Any woodworking show that is only 30 min long is going to be rushed at some point so the loss of the road trips would help (even Norm did them and the same thing holds for those ,cut them out or down) but Tommy is way to hyper and iit also seems that most of the Fancy work gets done by a guest worker and not by Tommy. Scott Philips on the other hand, well I will most often start channel surfing when his show comes on, I know he has been on the air almost as long as Norm was but I can't for the life of me figure out why. I have seen him do so many things on his show that my first wood shop Instructor would have whacked me with a 2"X4" for doing.

Pat Barry
10-08-2011, 4:40 PM
I am happy to hear Tommy will be back. I like his style and I like the fact he brings in his experts to help explain. I don't think they should change a thing. I love Norm (who doesn't) but I feel David Marks was the best technical woodworker. He created fine furniture and really got me interested in using high quality woods. I wish he was still doing shows. Back to Tommy and Rough Cuts though, I think he deserved to be back. It would have been a sad thing if PBS pulled him after only one season.

Greg Hines, MD
10-08-2011, 8:55 PM
I always enjoyed David Marks Woodworks, though his projects always seemed a bit too fluffy for the average woodworker. Norm Abram to me has always been the best, mostly because I grew up watching him. Sure, he used a lot of plywood, but he generally used it in places that solid wood would be more problematic than an engineered product.

As to Tommy Mac, I have enjoyed his shows, and I enjoy his hands on techniques. I also do like that he combines hand tool and power tool techniques. Though both David and Norm did that too, particularly David.

I really don't care for the road trips. They do not add much if anything to the episode, and as many have mentioned, he could take that time to refine some aspect of the project that ends up on the cutting floor.

Doc

John Fabre
10-15-2011, 2:59 AM
Where did you find his podcasts...can't seem to find it.

r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?llr=g8e9oddab&et=1108071854743&s=2495&e=001QxUO-ZOkxwHAYJV11s8GKzYQeQRyS2B8_oFv40cfpSEKHO1Sih_UU1t l6zKlpoO8P3ukSCH1HXSklqCvhv0t-GSpLXC0SjsNdM-ONEQMRQfFnNG-hQxGR9t2Fi7Z3pK15XDnc66I8YAkXNQOLxnWqA=="]Station Finder Link

John Fabre
01-13-2013, 5:17 AM
Has anyone seen his newest shows?

Joe Angrisani
01-13-2013, 7:59 AM
Has anyone seen his newest shows?

The 2nd Season is in reruns on Create. I have not seen any 3rd Season shows.

Jim O'Dell
01-13-2013, 5:02 PM
Have no idea if new or not, but I caught most of one if his shows yesterday am on the local PBS station here in the DFW metroplex. It was building a half round end table. Shows how they built up the curved section, mortise and tennon leg attachment, and prepping, cutting and gluing the wood veneer on. Good show. First one of his I have ever seen. Jim.

John Fabre
01-13-2013, 10:27 PM
I saw one yesterday where he was building a steamed bent lounge chair. Next week it's a carved mahogany frame, shows that it aired November 2012. Goods shows, last week was a new one too, dovetail tool box.

John Fabre
10-16-2013, 8:01 PM
New show comes on Sat. 10-19-13 on PBS.