PDA

View Full Version : Clearcoat w/ Target em6500 INSIDE cabinets?

Walter McNeil
09-20-2011, 2:23 PM
Hi All,

I'm about to start painting some white kitchen cabinets with Target em6000 basecoat / em9000 topcoat.
I'll definately be topcoating the visible external surfaces with em9000 clear, but how about the insides? Will it be worthwhile to clearcoat the INSIDE of the cabinets also?

Thanks,
Walter

Scott Holmes
09-20-2011, 9:56 PM
I would suggest you do. Leaving them bare makes spills and stain almost impossible to clean.

Harvey Pascoe
09-21-2011, 11:22 AM
I'll second that, great idea.

Walter McNeil
09-22-2011, 12:47 AM
Oh, sorry, I could have phrased my question more clearly...
The insides won't be bare in any case; I will definitely paint the insides of the cabinets white with em6000.
My question is whether I should follow the em6000 white with em9000 clearcoat on the insides.
In other words, would it be worth the trouble to follow the same paint schedule as the cabinet doors, or just paint the innards white and skip the clearcoat inside the boxes?

Conrad Fiore
09-22-2011, 7:26 AM
Walter,
Have you tinted EM6000, or are you using EM6500? If tinting 6000, you don't have to overcoat and if using 6500, you also don't have to overcoat. The following is off the Target site for EM6500.

"EMTECH EM6500 Bright White Pastel Water Based Spray Lacquer is the latest addition to our popular EM6000 Production lacquer family. Used as a bright white surfacer or as a tinted base coat system, EM6500 offers excellent hiding power on poplar, maple and birch, as well as MDF and other engineered substrates.EM6500 can be used as a stand-alone topcoat so long as you like the stardard semi-gloss sheen it is engineered into. If you wish to adjust the sheen or require a clear over-coat, we recommend that you topcoat EM6500 with either our 9000 SuperClear Polyurethane or the EM7000HBL High Build Lacquer for a harder, non-yellowing shell.
As a Universal White Pastel Base EM6500 can be tinted to match a wide array of popular Off-White and Pastel paint colors. Tint with MIXOL, ColorTone, ViviTone or other water-based UTC colorants for in-shop tinting. Or, bring to your local professional paint retailer and ask to have them tint the EM6500 White Pastel Base with Evonik/Colortrends 896, 888 or 802 tinting colorants."

Walter McNeil
09-22-2011, 9:14 AM
And I've got my product codes fouled up too... Thanks Conrad, the color coat is tinted em6500 white, not em6000 clear.
Thanks for bearing with me! I'm still very new to target coatings...
I've been leaning toward NOT clearcoating the interiors; tinted em6500 only. I've read other recommendations to topcoat with em9000 for durability, but I'm thinking the insides of the cabinets will not benefit enough to justify the extra trouble and expense?

Howard Acheson
09-24-2011, 3:56 PM
There is no need to clear coat over the color coat. It adds nothing to durability. The clear coat will scratch or abrade just as easily as the color coat. After all, the color coat is just a highly pigmented clear coat. In other words the two products are identical except for the added color pigment. If you want additional protection, just apply another color coat. Same end result.

Call Target or go to their website and ask the question.