PDA

View Full Version : Saw Blade Sharpening in North Georgia - Where???

Mike Wischmann
09-20-2011, 10:19 AM
My folks just recently moved up to North Georgia mountains (Ellijay, GA) and my Dad is looking for some place close by that he can get his table saw blades sharpened. Does anyone have any ideas without having to drive into Atlanta?

Thanks,

Mike

Tom Walz
09-20-2011, 11:18 AM
Hardware stores may be a collection point for someone running a route out of Atlanta.

B.H. Payne in East Point is one of the most respected shops in the country. Terry (BH"s grandson) is a great person. Maybe give them a call to see if they run a route.

tom

Bruce Wrenn
09-20-2011, 9:09 PM
I use a Flat Rate Box from the post office to mail my blades to Dynamic Saw in Buffalo NY. Two weeks later, UPS guy brings them back. I live in central NC

David Keast
09-23-2011, 1:58 PM
I cant help you with addresses, being a resident of France, but I can add a comment from recent experience. Not all sharpening services are the same.

I've used the same sharpening service for 5 years, seemed fine, then a friend gave me a new blade as a present. I could not believe the difference. The sharpened blades, which were 70$+ blades to begin with, were rubbish by comparison. I'm now looking for alternative sharpening services.

Bruce Wrenn
09-23-2011, 9:02 PM
One of the problems of sharpening is second sharpener follows in foot steps of first. This means measurements are are taken from existing profiles and put into grinder memory. Grinder then uses these to sharpen blade. Garbage in / garbage out. I get back blades that cut better than brand new. To quote a well known sharpener, "You have to get rid of factory dull first." I sent a blade to my guy (it was given to me) and he sent it back with a note saying previous sharpener had ruined it, and thus he wouldn't touch it unless I wanted complete teeth replacement done.

David Kumm
09-23-2011, 9:23 PM
If you decide to go the mail route contact Bobby at Woodworker Tool Works. He can sharpen a sponge. Dave