PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone used Air Assisted Airless (i.e. Kremlin Airmix) for an instrument finish?

Nick Sorenson
09-20-2011, 10:00 AM
I spoke with a Kremlin rep a few days ago after reading on several boards that the Kremlin 10-14 has been a huge breakthrough in reducing overspray to almost none and laydown is great. I've always used Air Powered (as in plug into a compressor line and spray) HVLP or conventional guns. I read on my lacquer PDS and on most lacquer formulations that the viscosity is setup for airless to be sprayed right out of the can. If this is the case that means no more thinning. Thinning is not accomplishing any build obviously so it's a waste of both time and money since all of the thinner just evaporates into thin air. So I'm considering an airless or Air Assisted Airless in order to reduce the amount of reducer. Anyone tried something like this? I'm also considering the turbine style HVLP (no compressor). I'm looking for the ability to spray right out of the can and not use thinner.

Chris Fournier
09-21-2011, 7:08 PM
Your drive to spray out of the can at all costs will compromise your ability to spray good finsihes, especially on instruments. As Scott points out the sprayers that you are considering require a gallon of finish just to get in the game.

Bryan Cowing
09-21-2011, 8:20 PM
I have a Kremlin, and love it, I do hobby woodworking, but my kids sometimes have me building large projects. On this project I used ML Campbell Durovar, mixing 1 quart of lacquer and catalyst, but ran out. I needed one more coat on the base, so mixed up just a 1/2 quart to finish up. I use a smaller tip than what came with the 10-14, I think it's a #4, smallest they make. You don't need to start off with a gallon of finish.

Chris Fournier
09-22-2011, 4:04 AM
Bryan, would you please post the model of Kremlin set up that you have?

Bryan Cowing
09-22-2011, 5:32 AM
Bryan, would you please post the model of Kremlin set up that you have?
10.14 with air control on the gun, lowest cost model they made 2 yrs ago. Still MEGA $$. I used the profit from an entertainment centre commission job to lessen the hurt on the wallet! Expensive tool for a mostly hobbyist woodworking.

Chris Fournier
09-22-2011, 7:16 PM
You can always make an expensive tool pay. You can't always make a cheap tool work. Thanks for posting the model #, I'll do some research.

Nick Sorenson
09-26-2011, 10:47 PM
Your drive to spray out of the can at all costs will compromise your ability to spray good finsihes, especially on instruments. As Scott points out the sprayers that you are considering require a gallon of finish just to get in the game.

You can always make an expensive tool pay. You can't always make a cheap tool work. Thanks for posting the model #, I'll do some research.

See! I have a reason to be on this hunt ;) I'm happy with my equipment but hey if I could spray right out of the can, why not.

I'm always looking to make things work better. I haven't tried the 10 14 but I would love to. The main issue is the upfront cost as he mentioned. But I use my spray equipment much more than I use my tablesaw (at least time wise per piece) so, I suppose it'd make sense to spend. Bummer they don't have an easier way to demo the tool.