PDA

View Full Version : Informal poll question...

Russell Eaton
09-20-2011, 8:28 AM
I am soon to turn 44 years old and was wondering how old most of my online turning friends are? If you don't mind the question, as well as how long have you been turning, and when did you start? I took no classes in school and had to be talked into my first lathe. Thanks to my wife being a pen FREAK that got the ball rolling and 4 lathes later here I am. I started 3 years ago this month with a cheap, and I mean no name on the machine, lathe. I later gave it away to a friend that is less fortunate. Anyhow that is my story and I hope to hear yours.

Alan Trout
09-20-2011, 8:32 AM
Russell,

I am Also 44 turning 45 next month and started when I got a lathe for fathers day when I was 41. So we are about the same.

Alan

John Keeton
09-20-2011, 8:58 AM
Russell, I am 62, and started turning in October 2009 with a set of table legs. The first "dish" was turned in late December 2009. It has been a fun ride!

Bernie Weishapl
09-20-2011, 9:01 AM
I am 64, retired and started turning 6 yrs. ago needing to turn columns for a grandfather clock. I started with a Delta LA 200. Now I have a Nova DVR XP and Jet 1220. Like you I have had no classes other than demo's I have watched at Woodcraft or Symposiums. Learning has been with DVD's and books.

Jim Burr
09-20-2011, 9:08 AM
Coming up on 52 in November and started turning pen in 2000. I'm self taught, and a little surprised I survived that process, but still refer to DVD's or whatever learning material is around as often as possible!

Steve Schlumpf
09-20-2011, 9:20 AM
Russell - I am 59, self-taught and at the end of next month I will have been turning for 7 years. Started with a Craftsman mono-tube lathe and used it for 2 years. Upgraded to a Jet 1642 2hp and am in the process of doing a final upgrade to a Robust American Beauty. The Jet is an outstanding lathe and I am going to continue to use it. The Robust will allow me to turn larger items and I don't see ever having to upgrade again!

Roger Turnbough
09-20-2011, 9:29 AM
Russell,

I am 53, and have been turning for 10 years or so. Started with a Jet1236, and then upgraded to a Oneway 2436 after 2 years. Totally self taught. I've gleaned much good information off of various DVD's through the years.

Roger

Bob Bergstrom
09-20-2011, 9:29 AM
66 years old. First turning was a candle stand at a evening class at the local high school in 1973. First lathe was a AMT with thin tubing for the ways. 5 lathes latter I'm turning on a 3520. I've seen a lot of demos and DVDs, but never took an actual turning class. Have taught quite a few turners. Retired teacher,football and wrestling coach

Richard Jones
09-20-2011, 9:34 AM
Wow, Steve S. and I have a lot in common. (no offense, Steve.........:). I am 57, started turning in 2006 after my dad showed me a bottle stopper that a Greensboro, NC turner had done. I had a Craftsman tube lathe, which was replaced with a little Rikon, and I turned on it until my wife got me a Jet 1642-2 for Christmas. No "formal" training, but lots of internet perusal, DVD's, etc. I also gave away my tube lathe...........:)

Rich

Marty Eargle
09-20-2011, 9:46 AM
I'm 24 years old and have been turning since the beginning of the year as much and school and what not will allow. Getting sucked into the vortex at such a young age really makes me worry when I look at a lot of you...how am I ever going to pay back student loans?? ;)

Matt Newton
09-20-2011, 9:57 AM
I'm 43 turning 44 this year. Started turning 3 years ago when I wanted to make the legs for a windsor chair. Turned to bowls after an ice storm left us with lots of free material.

Roger Chandler
09-20-2011, 10:09 AM
Started around 2003, I am 57 and my first lathe was a Craftsman 15"Vs.........which broke the gear shaft, had to buy my present lathe........ a Grizzly G0698 18/47 vs lathe. Totally self taught.....have learned much from the folks on this forum, and also my local club when watching demos.

I watched Norm Abrams ......[New Yankee Workshop] turn table legs, etc. and said to myself........."I can do that!"

My first 4 years or so was just about all spindle turning......table legs etc. as part of my woodworking when building furniture, but I made my first bowl in December 2008...........I sure miss flatwork!:D

Allen Howell
09-20-2011, 10:16 AM
I'm 60 and started turning in January of this year. Don't have enough money, time or space for this great hobby/craft, though.

Allan Ferguson
09-20-2011, 10:21 AM
66 years old. Started late fall 2008 with a home made spring pole lathe and made 9 rolling pins. 3/09, moved up to a Nova 16-2444. Self taught with DVD resources. Also do flat work.

Wally Dickerman
09-20-2011, 10:23 AM
Okay, I'm the old guy in just about any group. I bought my first lathe when I was 15 and that was in 1936. Guess that means that I've been turning for 75 years. Still learning how. Oh yeah...I'm 90 years old.

I started with the cheapest little lathe that Sears sold. They didn't even call it a Craftsman..it was a Dunlop. I've gone through 8 lathes since then, each one bigger and better than the last one. My present, and I'm sure, my last lathe, is a big Oneway.

Woodturning has been a wonderful lifelong hobby and I'm still at it. Turning and teaching others to turn.

Bill Walsh
09-20-2011, 10:28 AM
I'm 56 years old, started turning on a no name wood lathe that one of my friends gave me. First projects were lamps to be given as gifts for Christmas to my family. Bought a Delta lathe tool set and thought they'd stay sharp unless dropped (wrong). I can remember hanging on for dear life to the tools in between catches!!!! After turning a couple of lamps I thought to myself this isn't for me. Well in the spring of 2002 I bought a Delta 16" lathe not sure the model but its the steel bed vari-speed model along with a Wolverine sharpening system and an 8" grinder. Had problems with the drive on the Delta, kept shutting off. A few months later joined a woodturning club. I was one of four other people that had jointed within the last couple of months so one of the very experienced turners had us come to his shop one night a week to help get us started. Once I saw the shavings going over my shoulder I knew I had been sucked into the vortex. By the end of the year I bought a Oneway 1640 followed by a Powermatic 3624B in 07. Traded the Delta for the out board attachment on the 1640. Have seen a few demos, DVD tapes, club demo and learned a lot from the very talented fellow club members along with lurking on this site.
I'm trying to get my son involved but no luck yet, he has a welding shop on the side that keeps him busy. I'm hoping that if he does take up turning he starts earlier than I did...

cal thelen
09-20-2011, 10:28 AM
I just turned 53. started turning last december. just to make a couple pens for family for christmas. and now headed down into that vortex swirl. had a harbor freight lathe. in feb I bought a rikon and altho i really like it i am looking forward to upgrading to something with variable speed. maybe a little more hp. I am also self taught and really have alot more to learn, but to me that is always the fun part. I do alot of internet searching and utube videos. Need to get a couple DVDs and a good book or two. I gave my harbor freight lathe to my 16 year old nephew, along with a gift certificate to the local woodcraft show for some lessons. I told him I will help you along but I really dont want you turning like i do, would rather he learn the safety part of it from someone who knows what they are doing. Its been tons of fun and hopefully lots more fun to come. by the way this is a great thread. thanks

Rick Prosser
09-20-2011, 10:31 AM
I am 54. Started turning in 2008 after taking a pen making class and a bowl turning class. Purchased a Shopfox W1758 lathe which I still have. (hope to upgrade eventually)

After a few months of turning, we bought some property and built a shop - but also started tree farming and had to put turning and other things aside for a few years. Just now getting back into turning, and relearning some of the things I had figured out before.

Scott Hackler
09-20-2011, 10:32 AM
I just turned 42. I started turning in 2009 and am self taught for the most part. When I started I watched every youtube video I could get my hands on. I still watch a lot of videos and concider myself a constant student of the art. I love to study the forms of others and take mental notes of what I find appealing about them. I turn on a Nova 1624-44 but foam at the mouth over a Robust. Someday....

Russell Neyman
09-20-2011, 10:41 AM
Will turn 63 this December, and I inherited a Shopsmith from my grandfather in the 1980's and the lathe accessories lay dormant for years. The "system" included some lightweight faceplates and cheap chisels. I have used that five-in-one machine and other garage workshop tools for 30 years to build cabinets and cases, so I'm hardly a novice at woodworking, but I didn't do much turning except the occasional spindle. Couldn't sleep one night in 1998 and went to the garage to work out my frustration, and mounted up a small piece of curly maple and started making sawdust. I cut the entire thing using a skew chisel, mostly getting a finish via sandpaper.

[I should interject, that the Shopsmith is a horrible woodturning lathe. Runs too fast and doesn't have enough weight, but somehow those first few bowls turned out okay.]

Like the others, I'm essentially self-taught, but since I moved to Puget Sound where turners abound I have picked up lots of tips watching the other guys turn. The local Olympic Peninsula Woodturners here include some absolutely wonderful and talented craftsmen, and just listening to them has advanced my skillset. In my case, the biggest advances have more to do with the equipment; a better lathe with greater variable speeds (especially lower speeds, for larger irregular blanks), a sophisticated sharpening station, and refining my finishes have taken me to a point where I'm shown in several galleries. It has been a long, satisfying journey.

If my son were to catch the turning fever -- I think he will, eventually -- my advice will be purchase the best available machinery and to READ/VIEW EVERYTHING he can get his hands on. The biggest deal in chasing the learning curve, I think, is to simply try every possible technique and every type of turning, and don't be afraid to fail.

Joe Bradshaw
09-20-2011, 10:43 AM
I am 67 and I first turned in 1958 in high school shop class. I have turned off and on since then. I really started to get serious in 2003 when my wife bought me a Oneway 1224. I have since acquired a Oneway 2436, Jet 1220 and Jet 1014. I use the Jets for buffing stations. I have taken numerous classes and am still learning

Jeff Belany
09-20-2011, 10:54 AM
I'm 61, started turning in 1998 doing mostly pens. I have done a few larger pieces, a few baseball bats and some small vases. Would really like to get into bowls someday but I would never have the patience to do the HF pieces I see on this forum. I still make a few pens but not as many as I used to. I have 4 lathes -- 2 Sherlines for pens, a JET mini and a large Craftsman. Should get rid of at least 2 but I love my tools.

Started a laser business 2 years ago after becoming unemployed for the first time in my life. Have been laser engraving for 12 years. Was a printer before that for about 20 years.

Jeff in northern Wisconsin

David DeCristoforo
09-20-2011, 10:54 AM
I am 22 years old and began turning on a mini lathe my uncle bought for me when I was three.

Edit: As moderator, and knowing the truth, I cannot let this blatant misstatement of fact stand uncontroverted!!!:rolleyes: The reality is David is 97 years old, and his first table saw was steam operated. In fact, he does have an antique lathe that was his great grandfather's - hickory and ash, as I recall;), but he turns on an Art Deco lathe of recent renovation. No one really knows much else about David - he is one of those roaming artist types, nomadic one might say, but rumor has it that he settled in the hills of California in search of gold - somewhat late to the scene, but successful nonetheless.:D

Russell Neyman
09-20-2011, 10:57 AM
I am 67 and I first turned in 1958 in high school shop class. I have turned off and on since then. I really started to get serious in 2003 when my wife bought me a Oneway 1224. I have since acquired a Oneway 2436, Jet 1220 and Jet 1014. I use the Jets for buffing stations. I have taken numerous classes and am still learning

I'm amazed how many of the mini-lathes end up being buffing stations! Ha!

Tony De Masi
09-20-2011, 11:20 AM
I am 53 and started turning six years ago when I needed new, and different, ballusters for a front porch. Started with a Delta 46-715 and then upgraded to the PM3520B a couple of years after that. I would consider myself mostly self taught but I have taken one class with Bill Grumbine which certainly reinforced everything I had learned from his first DVD.

p.s. - leave it to DD, or whatever your real name is.:D

Steve Busey
09-20-2011, 11:35 AM
I'm 55 and got started when my dad passed away in 2007. It wasn't until 2008 that I actually turned anything besides splinters (got a Nick Cook 4-weekend January class for Christmas) and did my first pen. About a year later I felt competent enough to finish the bowl Dad had on his lathe when he died. It's a Craftsman "Professional" lathe (Dad worked for Sears for 33 years, so what else could he own?!) and is making "old age noises" so I'm accelerating deposits into the 3520B penny jar. Got a winged bowl in the chuck right now, and an NE on the shelf awaiting sanding & finish. And need to do a mess of pens before the craft shows crank up in the couple of next months (all proceeds go to my son's school for Asperger & autistic youth, not into my 3520 penny jar though...).

Jason Silva
09-20-2011, 11:42 AM
I'm 39 and started turning about 5 years ago. I own a Rikon Mini and a Nova DVR XP. I use the lathe as a starting platform and then really enjoy carving on the turned pieces.

Am i gonna be the first one to call DeChristoforo out?

Reed Gray
09-20-2011, 11:43 AM
I am closing in on 61. Started in concrete construction around 1970. "Hippy, you're too dang fussy to do concrete." Got into flat work in about 93. Needed a mushroom type drawer pull for a table, and cut the head off a screw, chucked it up in the drill press, used a wood block for a tool rest, and my bench chisels. Been down hill ever since. Mostly self taught, but the local club has been going for 11 years now. Huge help in learning. First lathe was a 4 speed Atlas. Then a PM 3520A, now an American Beauty. Best Christmas present I ever bought myself.

robo hippy

David E Keller
09-20-2011, 11:43 AM
I'm 38, and I've been turning for about 4 years now. The first couple of years I did mostly pens and stoppers, but hollowforms have caught my interest recently. I started on a Rikon midi which I still use as a buffing station, but I use a PM3530B as my main lathe. I took a class with Clewes about 2 years ago which was really beneficial, and I own about 80 percent of the turning DVDs on the market!

Michelle Rich
09-20-2011, 12:01 PM
I'm 70 and have a different experience than everyone here. i made my first lathe (springpole) and there were no videos, few books, and no classes, & no mentors. Self taught to the extreme. Being stupid helped a lot. i just bought a bowl gouge because it was called a bowl gouge.I had no idea how to use it. Spindle gouge the same thing. this is why today I use my tools in bizarre ways, i.e. a skew to hollow a bowl, etc. It also helped me think outside the box and come up with fresh new ideas. Today, you young folks have internet videos on youtube, books by the 100's, classes, help from forums, and tons of resources. Most should turn out to be excellent turners if you keep your noses to the grindstone and have fun

Russell Neyman
09-20-2011, 12:06 PM
...being stupid helped a lot....

Love that statement. I turned a piece of lacewood once, and later an "expert" informed me that lacewood wouldn't turn. Glad I didn't know, because it turned out wonderfully.

Kyle Iwamoto
09-20-2011, 12:07 PM
I'm 54, started on a Craftsman cheapo (not even as good as the mono tube) when I was 41. Turned a bunch of pens for gifts for my 41st birthday. Yakudoshi. Turned so many pens and smal things, I burned out the motor. Bought a Jet mini. OMG what a difference in quality. Taught me what a POS that old lathe was. No wonder I never ventured into anything other than small things and pens. Tried a bowl on the Cman, but couldn't do it, since it was a POS. But I had no idea, so the frustrations continued until I killed the old lathe and upgraded to the mini.

Richard Jones
09-20-2011, 12:08 PM
..........., and I own about 80 percent of the turning DVDs on the market!

I'm there, as well......... :)

Jamie Donaldson
09-20-2011, 12:09 PM
OK David, you're under sworn oath here!!!! Fess up!!!

Alan Trout
09-20-2011, 12:15 PM
David Wrote:
I am 22 years old and began turning on a mini lathe my uncle bought for me when I was thre

All I have to say is that California sun has done some serious damage. :D

curtis rosche
09-20-2011, 12:21 PM
19. i started in high school. i got my first lathe with a trade of wood. i still use it too

Kenny Jacobson
09-20-2011, 12:23 PM
I'm 42. I'm been turning for 1 and a half years on a Jet Mini Lathe that my wife bought me for Christmas. Self-taught. I started off making bowls and lately started making pens. One more pen commission like my last one (10 pens) and I should be able to move on to the next lathe I'm saving for, a Nova 1624.

Jon Nuckles
09-20-2011, 12:34 PM
I'm 50 and have been turning for a year or so. Started with a Grizzly 18/47, but it had problems that couldn't be fixed so I returned it. During the times that it operated, though, it set the hook deep in me so I upped my ante and bought a 3520B. I haven't taken classes or joined a club yet, but I've learned from a lot of mistakes and have read some books and LOTS of good advice from Sawmill Creek!

John Keeton
09-20-2011, 12:36 PM
OK David, you're under sworn oath here!!!! Fess up!!!

David Wrote:

All I have to say is that California sun has done some serious damage. :DI felt compelled to edit David's post in fairness to the truth!!;)

Dennis Ford
09-20-2011, 12:47 PM
This is an interesting thread.
I am 54, turned a little in high school and built a home-made lathe then. A few years off for college and a few more while I lived in apartments before I built a slightly better lathe. My lathe went through a few evolutions before being replaced with the version that I have now (still home-made). I am mostly self-taught but have learned a lot from club demonstrations and the internet.

Dick Wilson
09-20-2011, 12:52 PM
Man, I hope Michele and Wally attend the Ohio Symposium! At 67 if they don't I will be the long-in-the-tooth old fart at the event:(

I have been turning for 7 years. 30 years was wasted in flat board work. Only if I had started turning back then. I had putzed around turning with my Shopsmith. Not until I tried to turn a peppermill did I race into the vortex by immediately buying a Jet 1442. My one and only lathe. I had Lyle Jameison do a one-on-one instructional in my shop and my turning ability took off like a rocket and I have never looked back.

Jamie Donaldson
09-20-2011, 12:55 PM
Now that Wally has checked in, at least I'm not the oldest turner around! Turned my first bowl in high school shop class in '59, and the next one in 1986 when I traded for a Crapsman monotube to go with other shop machines. Have studied with a bunch of known turners, attended 13 AAW Symposia, including 5 as demonstrator, many regional symposia, and just generally am a turning technique sponge. That includes collector of turnings and tools!

Paul Williams
09-20-2011, 1:23 PM
I am 65. My first lathe was a Gilmor kit that I put together in the late '70s. I did mostly spindle work for table legs etc. About 20 years ago I bought a 6" craftsman metal lathe and every once in a while I would fool around with wood on it. Two years ago I got serious about wood turning and didn't use my metal lathe for much else. My wife gave me a Delta 46-460 for Christmas last year.

David DeCristoforo
09-20-2011, 1:25 PM
Awrite... you guys are too smart for anyone to slip one by. Lawyers! They get you every time. OK... I confess. Here's the truth and nuttin but the truth so help me God...

I will turn 64 on the 25th of this month. I have been a "designer/maker" for most of my adult life (which really began, as best I can recall, around 2003). In 2005, I sustained a serious hand injury which ultimately led me to close my shop. I was pretty burned out on heavy casework anyway but I still felt the need for a creative outlet. I began turning in May of 2010 on a "vintage" Delta lathe I inherited from my father and found, in lathe work, the perfect way to satisfy the need to do "creative" work that also involved working with wood. I also discovered an unexpected, almost meditative quality to this kind of work. When you build a huge kitchen full of casework or a woodworked library, small flaws and blemishes simply disappear. It is rare that anyone would inspect that much woodwork as closely as turned work is examined. But turned pieces must be near perfect in every detail to stand up the the close scrutiny they are typically subjected to. So turning has also helped me to learn patience, something I have never been "known" for.

Tim Thiebaut
09-20-2011, 1:47 PM
I am 51, spent 30 years as a Locksmith/Safe Tech. although I am now disabled from a spinal injury, I started turning last Dec...I credit turning with helping to cope with a lot of the issues I have had to deal with lately. Although my lathe and tools are being packed away for the winter, I will be back at it next spring once I relocate....T

Stephen Walker
09-20-2011, 1:51 PM
Just turned 51. I've been turning for a year and a half. I bought a used PM 4224 as my first lathe, (just decided to skip all the upgrades) but find myself wishing that I had a second one now. My dad seems to have an interest in learning this turning thing, and I just don't know if I could stand idle and watch while he was using MY lathe. Some how I think I landed in a bigger vortex than most, as I will probably end up supporting his habit as well. Oh well, I guess that will be the payback for all that he has done for me.

Steve Mawson
09-20-2011, 2:05 PM
This is kinda of fun reading about everyone. Turned 64 this year and wish I had saved more so I could quit this working thing. Did my first turning on Uncle Bob's Craftsman 8" lathe when I was about 8. Got a Dunlap lathe, another 8" for Christmas about a year later with carbon steel tools-still have the tools and use some of them. Then college, army, wife, kids, apartments-etc so not much turning. Got a Shopsmith in about 1981 but not much turning. One big turning project was a maple bookshelf with 20 spindles-4 spindles holding each shelf. Jet 1014 about 2005, then Delta 46-460VS, sold the Jet and then my Uncle Bob, same one that got me started gave me some money in 2009. That is when the PM 3520B came. This forum has made me a better turner along with Great Plains Woodturners-Lincoln, NE and Loess Hills Turners which is the Omaha, NE club but meets in IA. Looking forward to a class or symposium in the future and learning more here as well.

Betty Fox
09-20-2011, 2:13 PM
I'm 29 (ask Ron he'll agree) and I started turning when Ron got me a jet mini about two years ago for my 29th birthday. My first project was an egg at a 'learn to turn' event and I'm STILL trying to perfect that egg. My dream is to make an egg box and that dream keeps getting put off by other more interesting projects like pens and peppermills. My current project is an end-grain walnut bowl. I may have to shelve it for some softer wood for my first turning on the big lathe. It's givin' me fits.
Oh well, maybe Ron will buy me some bowl turning tools for my 29th birthday next year!!!! :)
Betty

Thom Sturgill
09-20-2011, 2:16 PM
I turn 63 next month retired last month and have been turning since May 2009. I turned on a metal lathe in High School and not since until I bought a Jet 1220 to turn spindles for as yet incomplete shaker tables. I joined a local club and took a course the club sponsored through the local community college and since took a weekend course at John C Campbell in the NC mountains. I have been to three symposia and plan on going to the NC symposium in about a month and the Florida symposium in Feb. I now turn on a Jet 1642. The sessions have been well worth the cost as have most of the DVDs in my library!

Peter Elliott
09-20-2011, 2:49 PM
42yr.. I started turning about 2yrs ago when Tony DeMasi offered to give a free lathe here on the SMC. I was second inline:rolleyes: to a young lady (I'm sure I was Tony!). After losing out, Tony D. and I would meet up here and there in the Washington, DC region. It wasn't until the sand-baggers Cruz and Hintz came along that pushed me over the edge and I got a Jet1642EVS. I proud to say, I was up and running before they were. I did a lot of spindle work when I was younger, mostly for furniture and used someone else lathe at the time.

Bowls and other stuff has really caught on again and I am mainly influenced by BILL GRUMBINE. Between his videos and some club demos, his style has really influence the way I go about bowl turning. Mike Mahoney is running a clear 2nd. I enjoy harassing our little crew on here (DeMasi, Cruz, Hintz) and treated the same.

-Peter

Chris Burgess
09-20-2011, 3:03 PM
32, started turning a week before easter this year when I made some tops for the Kids easter baskets.

Don Orr
09-20-2011, 3:14 PM
I'm 52 and started turning in Nov. of 2000 at a pen turning class given by the woodworking club I belong to. That was my high dive into the abyss. My wonderful wife got me Jet 1014 for Christmas that year and she has been a turning widow ever since. Picked up an old but never used Craftsman tube frame complete with tools and accessories (all never used, 14 yrs old at the time) and went from there. Upgraded to a Jet 1642 many years ago. It has done everything I have asked of it. One of the founders of our local turning club does a beginner class most every year. Used to do it at his house but does it at the club shop now. Went through that and many, many demos, videos, books, workshops, symposiums, etc. I hang out on several turning forums and have learned a great deal, especially that I still have a lot to learn. Still have the Jet mini and it is not a buffing station. Sold the Craftsman. I now have my FIL's old Craftsman from 1936 that he got when he was 14. I really want to get that set up so I can use it.

Happy Turning everyone !

mickey cassiba
09-20-2011, 3:33 PM
54 going on 16... been turning for about 30 years, but first put steel to wood about two years ago. Boy did I have to unlearn a lot of stuff. With no local support, I've relied on the good folks here, and of course utube. Michelle's comment strongly describes me as well, I've attempted lots of things that are theoretically impossible, that came out nicely. I do mostly pens, and spindle type trinkets, but have pulled off a few small vessels as well. Wife is extremely supportive, keeps me out of her hair. And she gets first picks, so none of the good stuff goes to market. I'm making enough off of the pens to support my habit, and branch out a little. Won't never be in league with the Extraordinary Gentlemen( Steve, JK, and Mr Leo), and Michelle's stuff just wows me, but I try new stuff every chance I get(my scrap barrel runneth over. My little Delta has served me well, Currently trying to work out a deal on a big Delta, whose owner has fubar'd.

Matt Hutchinson
09-20-2011, 3:34 PM
I'm 31 yrs old, and I started turning a 7-8 years ago. I got serious with it about 3 years ago, and I'm currently going about making my very modest livelihood woodturning and woodworking. Started turning on my dad's awful, and I mean awful, sheet metal bed and frame Grizzly lathe. The first lathe I purchased was my big pattern maker's lathe, a buying opportunity that I couldn't pass up. Currently I do most spindle turning on a NOVA 1624-44.

Hutch

Johnny Taylor
09-20-2011, 3:48 PM
I'm 37 and started turning almost 3 years ago, with no real prior woodworking skill,not even as a school kid, here in the UK schools became so paranoid about injury,s ect that they only let us near files and sandpaper! It made woodwork and metalwork classes pointless!

Tim Rinehart
09-20-2011, 3:57 PM
I'm 52 and started turning on my 50th birthday, almost to the day, and have been at it now for about 2 1/2 yrs. I had built a workshop many years ago that was more storage than anything else, and I decided to reclaim it as a shop a few years ago. Ironically, I came across a sketch I made of the shop floor layout before I built it in 1996, and there at one corner was a rectangle labeled "lathe". The lathe was the only tool I didn't have that I 'thought' I needed :eek:. Little did I know that I'd end up making it the primary tool.

I got a used Jet 1642 to start on. I realized potential for harm so I took a full day class at our local Woodcraft that following weekend, and I highly recommend it for others who are looking to get started. I turned nearly every evening I could, with occasional stops only when home projects were required. While I liked the Jet, I saw a cowboy hat demo by one of our club presidents, and knew I wanted the capacity to do that sort of work or similar. I started a lathe fund, auctioning off stuff like a dozen or so nice Redline Hotwheels and other stuff I had no use for, including a vintage Fantasia fiber light (the really big chrome one from the 70s) for cash towards the fund. I used the Jet exactly one year, sold it and bought the PM 3520B with change left over for the Delta 46-460. (the Delta is my 'going to workshops' and 'going to relatives' lathe). It's also signed by Jimmy Clewes after giving me some one on one during a workshop.

My favorite turning is hollow forms and I built my own Jamieson style rig for both my Jet and PM. I do like bowls and the challenge of getting a smooth transition on the inside, a challenge for many of us. There isn't much I haven't tried on the lathe, perhaps it's the curse of the amount of sensory input I get. I enjoy it all, some more than others. I've not done any segmenting...yet...but it's on the list. Right now, I have too many big blanks to really justify building one up till they start running out. I'm a bit of a wood hoarder...ooops.:cool:

ray hampton
09-20-2011, 3:59 PM
I figure that I was the oldest member but even David are older than I am [just kidding] I am 69 and I bought a sears tube lathe way back in 1980 or 81 that were before the internet and DVDs, other things got in the way but now my lathe of choice is a 7x10 metal lathe which will serve as a wood turner also

Jack Mincey
09-20-2011, 4:02 PM
I[m 51 and started turning in 1974 during high school shop classes. I have taught high school shop for 29 year and turned on the old rockwell lathes in our shop until 5 years ago when I got serious about turning. We now have a PM3520B,a jet mini, and a delta midi in the shop to go along with the two old rockwells. I built a shop at my home 5 years ago to give me a place to work in my retirement years. I put a 1640 Oneway in it for my first lathe to own. I'm self taught on the lathe and still learning every time I see some one turn either at a club demo or on the Internet. I plan to retire at the end of this year and do more work in my home shop.
Jack

Tim Leiter
09-20-2011, 4:26 PM
I turned a little in Jr. High School in the late 60's, I can remember making a lamp out of an old bowling pin in class. My dad had an old farm lathe, made a bat once. I didn't turn again until I bought a Jet 1014 in about 2000. The only reason I bought the lathe is because I have always loved and collected all kinds of pens and I wanted to make my own. After I bought it I turned 4 or 5 pens and didn't touch it again for quite awhile. I was forced to resign from my job in 2005 because of some disabilities that krept up and I was having problems with having very little to do and was not making good use of my time.

I am 58 years old and in 2007 I decided I had to get a hobby to keep myself busy and out of trouble, so I dusted off the lathe and tools. I have turned a multitude of pens and sold a lot of them very cheap, just enough money to keep me in kits and blanks. I starting casting a couple of years ago and liked it but I have since decided to mainly use hardwoods and white-tailed deer antler. I could never get my PR blanks to come out as good as I would like (I am very particular), so I haven't cast or turned acrylic pens in a couple of years. I started trying my hand at making bowls and have not been very successful. I am too impatient and end up trying to go too fast and ruin lots of wood. I am continuing to make pens, a lot of bullet/cartridge pens out of antler because many people have wanted them from me. I don't advertise my pens, just sell by word of mouth. I am surprised at how many I have sold. I bought an HF #95607 to mainly make pens on earlier this year. I really like the variable speed. I made a hand wheel for the headstock and I like the lathe quite a lot. I am using the Jet for my bowls and I have recently made a walnut mallet and a couple of mortar and pestles that came out very well. Last week I got a great deal on an old Shopsmith 10ER and am happily restoring that lathe. I plan on using the 10ER to make longer items, of course and maybe I will have better luck on the bowls too I hope. I belong to 4 woodturning forums and just started in 2 Shopsmith forums. I enjoy reading and learning from the forums. I like woodturning very much and plan on doing this for awhile. I think I need to just be more patient when attempting bowl turnning and eventually maybe I can make some I can be proud of. I very much like the Sawmill Creek forum. I have quite a few physical challenges that don't allow me to spend a lot of time turning without taking many rest breaks. I think that is why I am too impatient with bowlmaking.
Tim.

Bill Bulloch
09-20-2011, 4:51 PM
Okay I'll fess up ... I'm 70. I was introduced to the lathe in my High School Wood Shop back in 1954. What an experience; I had a catch so violent I had to go home and change my pants. I didn't touch a lathe until 54 years later. In Oct 2008, I saw a wood turning demo at a local festaval. I was so intrigued that I bought a lathe that same week. Now I can't decide which is my most expensive hobby: Woodturning, Golf or Poker.

Lee Koepke
09-20-2011, 5:01 PM
Half past 45 ..... I started turning real close to one year ago! I do enjoy it, sometimes I think I am getting better, sometimes I think I have peaked ....haha ... I certainly look forward to the small amount of shop time I manage to squeeze into my weeks ....

Ed Morgano
09-20-2011, 6:03 PM
I'm 69, soon to be 70. I've been a machinist and have run a metal lathe since about 1965. Built my first wooden wood lathe in about 1985 to turn pens, spindles etc. I've just been in this vortex of hollow form/bowl/goblet type turning for about 6 months but there's no turning back. I love it.

Mike Golka
09-20-2011, 6:41 PM
WOW! This is quite the thread. I'm 55 and started turning a little over 6 yr. ago on a Craftex. About a year later I upgaded to a Oneway 1640.

Hilel Salomon
09-20-2011, 6:46 PM
I'm 72 years old and have been turning for five minus one years (One year off because of illness). Haven't had formal classes but I need them badly.
Hilel

Jay MacDougall
09-20-2011, 6:47 PM
I'm 37 and have been turning for a little over a year. I used to build furniture but have had no interest since this whole turning thing started. Started with a jet mini lathe and now use a jet 1642.

Ron McKinley
09-20-2011, 6:47 PM
I'm almost 73. Started turning about 6 years ago when a friend practically forced his Craftsman 12" mono-tube lathe on me. Got hooked and bought the Jet 10" VS, then the DVR-XP and last year the Delta 46-460 because I couldn't get to my other lathes for awhile due to a move. I haven't taken any classes but have watched a lot of demos by good turners and I have met Wally Dickerman, the Dean of the Turning World, several times and wish I could spend some time with him looking over my shoulders........Ron

Marc Himes
09-20-2011, 7:13 PM
I am 63 and was introduced to turning by may father in the late 90's (he passed away in 99). I didn't turn very much until I was able to make my own shop in 2005 starting with his Conover lathe and two years later upgrading to a Powermatic Mustard Monster. I was fortunate enough to take a class at Arrowmont in 2006 and John C. Campbell in 2010. I like to turn just about anything and love to experiment with color and texture. Being in a turning club has been a very enjoyable part of this as well.

Steve bellinger
09-20-2011, 7:17 PM
Well i guess i'll join in here. I'm 53 been a carpenter and woodworker for over 30 years. Got me a ridged tube lathe about 4 years ago. Hated it so much that it sat in the corner for over a year untouched till i gave it a way. got a grizzly Go462 keep that for a little over a year till i got the Go698 18/47. self tought all the way, Did go and see john Lucas, and keith burns do a demo, but that's as close as i've come to getting any help.
Steve

Curt Fuller
09-20-2011, 7:38 PM
I'm 58, but I'll be 59 in about 9 days. I also started on a Ridgid tube lathe (identical to the Craftsman tube lathe) in 2003. I was at an art festival, admiring some beautiful turned wood, and made the comment that I'd like to try to do that someday. Out of coincidence, my BIL said he had a lathe that was still in the box. He'd had it for a few years but never assembled it. He said if I wanted to use it I could. Next day it was sitting in front of my garage door when I came home from work. A day later it was put together and I was sharpening an old craftsman screwdriver for my first tool and turning a piece of 2x2 fir between centers. Since then it's been a series of herky jerky, 2 steps forward, 1 step back progressions. I eventually gave the Ridgid back to my BIL with about 200,000 miles on it and I now turn on a 1955 model Oliver 159 and a Delta Midi. It's without a doubt the most enjoyable hobby I've ever had.

Doug W Swanson
09-20-2011, 8:25 PM
I'm 43 and have been turning about 3.5 years. Or at least I started turning in 2008. Since I seldom get the shop time I desire, I'd say I've really only been turning for one year. My first lathe was a Ridgid WL1236, then a had a Jet 1014 and now have a Jet 1236. And since my daughter won a 1014, I've got two Jet's in the shop.

Now that it's getting cooler, hopefully I'll get more time in the shop!

Robert Newton
09-20-2011, 8:41 PM
62 years young, started turning in High School in Frankfurt Germany and have been doing it off and on since then but just got real serious a year ago, it is addictive.

Greg Just
09-20-2011, 8:42 PM
I'm 53 and have beeen turning for about 6 years, with 5 years on a Delta 46-715. I upgraded to a Jet 1642 this spring and love it. I gained a Jet 1020 in June when my son won one at the AAW Symposium. I was self taught for the first 4 years and have since taken 2 classes at Marc Adams School in Indiana. Joining the local woodturning club helped a lot too.

Don Alexander
09-20-2011, 8:50 PM
i'm 46 .... my now 18 yr old son and i started turning April 2010 on a Rikon Midi mostly pens at first ............. due to various circumstances , actually have turned about 6 months worth or so , bought a Delta 46-460 VS in Feb 2011 to add to the Rikon
so both of us can turn (neither of us like to watch enough to share a lathe hehe ) unfortunately my turning time has been nonexistent since mid June and likely won't improve any until mid december as i have returned to school for the first time in over 25 years

no turning classes or DVD's for me yet , just alot of wood and jumped right in, though several of the wonderful folks here have aided and abetted the trip into the vortex thanks John Keeton, Cathy Schaewe, and Kathy Marshall as well as a long list of the rest of you for helpful tips , suggestions, some gorgeous wood and honest critique
you all ROCK!!!!! :)

Don McLeod
09-20-2011, 9:38 PM
I'm 66 and was first introduced to wood turning way back in the 50's, bought a Beaver lathe in the 70's and turned a few spindles and baseball bats and turned to flat work, about 7 years ago I picked up a used General 260 and started turning again, turned a few pens, some spindles and lots of peppermills. Started turning bowls a couple years ago and it is still an ongoing learning process. I haven't progressed to hollow forms yet. Basically self taught with lots of help from my turning friends, books, DVD's and wood turning forums. When I see some of the turnings on here,WOW, WC etc I realize I'm still in the infant stage of this hobby.

Earl Reid
09-20-2011, 9:42 PM
I will be 80 in 8 months. I have been woodworking since about 1945, helping build houses, remodeling, farm work etc.
working in a sawmill, cutting logs.(no chainsaw) Worked in machine shops, and a copper mill.
I did some woodworking on the side. I was 4-f and couldn't get in the service. Got a job in a large chemical plant in 1951 in the power house. Went up through the ranks,became foreman and then in 77 the shut the plant down, Got transfered to Baltimore and the to Chicago. then I also traveled to many of our other plants. I retired in 1989. I was doing woodworking also during most of these yrs
We moved back to Ohio in 1992,Ibuilt a workshop and have been busy ever since.
About 4 years ago my heart problems caught up with me. 2 yrs no shop work. Now I,m back it the shop,part time.
I,m doing some turning and some flat work. I recently gave my son and DIL one of my lathes and a bunch of my tools that went to Va.
They love th lathe

John Beaver
09-20-2011, 10:15 PM
48. Inherited a mid 70's Delta lathe that sat in the back of my garage / shop for a long time, until Nov. 2008 when I glued a couple of pieces of wood together and made a vase. Didn't have a clue what I was doing, and really lucky I didn't hurt myself (but the vase turned out pretty nice). Kind of figured out segmented turning by myself and did that before I ever tried to turn a solid log. Eventually took a couple of classes to learn how to turn properly. The rest, as they say, is history...

David Warkentin
09-20-2011, 10:22 PM
I am 32 and I think I bought my Grizzly 0462 in 2008. Sold it and currently have a PM 90, Delta 46-460, South Bend wood lathe, and a 7x10 metal lathe. Never use the SB and the PM sits idle most of the time. Want to sell them and get a larger metal lathe. Never been to a wood turning class or demo but would like to.

Cecil Walborn
09-20-2011, 10:35 PM
I am 72 this month. I have been turning off and on close to 30 years. I have been turning more seriously the last 10 years mostly after retiring. I turn some on a treadle lathe which was up and running for about a year. I started with a ATM when I thought I wanted to turn but gave it up. I bought a ShopSmith to do woodworking with and did some turning and got hooked on turning. Got me a Jet mini lathe turned a lot of pieces on it. Now I have a Grizzly G0632. I turn some everyday.
Cecil

bob edwards
09-20-2011, 10:48 PM
I wasn't going to comment 'till Wally spoke up. I'll be 71 in Mar and turned my first table lamp in 1957. I got serious about 35 years ago when none of the other hobby's I tried satisfied. I found the lathe solved my creative urge and provided me with some of the best friendships I have ever found. Wood turners are just great people!

charlie knighton
09-20-2011, 11:05 PM
i am 61, went to what i thought was a flatwork class at artisan center, turned out to be woodturning, i and others in the class set up the lathes from the box, brand new, delta's with reeves drive and a couple jet mini. that was in fall 2005 i believe. i am on my 2nd lathe, jet 1642 and trying to give it a good workout. i enjoy symposium , turning different woods, and trying to see something in the wood. time spent in the instant galleries seeing what others have been up to has always been time well spent.

alex carey
09-20-2011, 11:21 PM
started my sophmore year in high school and im 21.

Kathy Marshall
09-21-2011, 12:55 AM
Cool thread!
I'm 49 and started turning 1 year ago. I inherited my dad's shop tools (all brand new) when he passed in 2003, and the tools sat in storage for 7 years until I was able to finally get a shop (albeit on wheels) to move them to. I don't consider myself a very patient person, but I guess waiting 7 years shows a little bit of patience! In my short 1 year of turning, I think I have actually crammed in about 3 years worth lol.
Enjoying the ride and looking forward to many more years of turning!

Vince Welch
09-21-2011, 1:41 AM
I am 47 years young. I took my first shop class in 7th grade in the late 1977-78. I continued taking shop through Jr and High school including being teacher shop aid. In college, more shop classes. In 2000-2001 decided on turning as a hobby so I bought a Jet Mini Lathe knowing it was a work horse. I still use this lathe for smaller projects and it is great! 2003-2004 I was able to purchase an Oneway 1640 and later got the outboard extension. I am very pleased with this lathe and never looked back. As time progresses my pieces tend to be smaller in shape and form. A vacuum system is a very nice add on to any turner’s equipment. I have taken classes with Ray Key x2, Jimmy Clewes, John Jordon, to name a few and I would recommend taking classes from top instructors. I wish I had more time to be in the shop... Vince

Charles Drake
09-21-2011, 4:59 AM
I am 70 and started turning about 3 years ago. I did flatwork for over 40 years and thought turning wood was for sissies until is saw some segmented pieces which intrigued me. Took a 1 day class at Woodcraft and was hooked. Started out on a minilathe and now have a PM. I visit several turning forums but must say I find this one the most informative. THANKS ALL!

Bob Rotche
09-21-2011, 7:30 AM
I'm 49 and have been turning for about 2 years. I started with a JET 1236 though recently upgraded to a PM3520b. Mostly self taught but did take a 4 day class at John Campbell Folk School this year which was a great experience and plan on trying to do that yearly. I have been fully sucked into the vortex and love following this as well as several other forums and love learning from all the incredibly creative artists out there. Now all I need is a bit more shop time...

Russell Eaton
09-21-2011, 12:27 PM
Thanks to everybody who contributed to this "poll". I enjoyed reading all the responses and have learned that I am not the only one that has learned a lot from this forum, and by trial and error. Some times is was MUCH more error than trial. Thanks again Russell

Russell Neyman
09-21-2011, 12:48 PM
Funny how all of engage turning on different levels, isn't it? Some people love the orderliness and geometry of segmented turning, while others (like me) are drawn to natural edges and barky surfaces. The hollow form turners seem to have an innate ability to cut wood blind, and that's not something many people are even willing to try. And then there's that group of people who turn pens and bottle stoppers, which is a very specialized and creative art form all it's own. Some of us make practical and functional pieces, and others are strictly whimsical. We all turn, but there are a wide-range of styles.

What I'm reading here is that there is a remarkable number of late-bloomers and people who started turning on a whim, and not many of us set out to become wood-turners. It seems that we just "found ourselves" in the craft, mostly.

I come Sawmill Creek to exchange technology and to get inspiration, and I appreciate the group very much. Thanks.

Jim Adkins
09-21-2011, 1:18 PM
I am 77 years old, been turning for 15 yrs. Started-ou on an old Delta 12" lathe then built a rather large lathe. Turned on it for 5 yrs, sold it to a friend and bought a 750 Stubby. Life is good.

Thomas Hotchkin
09-21-2011, 1:53 PM
I am 66 and do not want to get any older. Picked up my first lathe in 1972, a AMT that was more work the fun. Soon after that pickup a Rockwell 46-111, still turning on it today. Pushing it way pass it limits. Going to put some riser blocks on it, and better speed control, or replace it. Had one class in all this time with Rude Osolnik, back in the early 80's, a great instructor. Wood turning takes second place to furniture that the kids need for there homes. Tom

Josh Bowman
09-21-2011, 5:28 PM
I'm 56 now. Started kind of turning with a $19.95 lathe ordered from the back of Popular Mechanics magazine in 1975, you supply the washing machine motor. In 1982 I move up (?) to a Shopsmith and turned spindles and stuff. June 2010, I got into serious turning, that is caught by the "vortex". Enter the Jet 1642 EVS-2. I've never been the same since.
Reading all these posts, reminded me......my first lathe maybe at 7 or 8 was a Mattel Power Shop. Not certain if I actually turned anything successfully.
Just for giggles I included pictures of the AMT and Power Shop for those who want to be reminiscent.

Nate Davey
09-21-2011, 6:24 PM
I'm 40, started a couple years ago. Started doing pens with a Turncrafter Pro VS, moved up to a Jet 1642 saving my pennies for an American Beauty

Peter Fabricius
09-21-2011, 9:09 PM
Hi All;
I am 66, retired for the past 5 years and have made turning my main hobby, seriously.
Started turning in High School, had some time away from a lathe for marriage, children and post grad education. Used my FIL's homemade lathe for about 41 years, then in January 2010 I bought a "fantastic" DVR XP and the specialized tooling to make it even more fantastic. I use almost all Oneway attachments, two Stronghold chucks, attachments and many other bits and pieces to make turning lots of fun. Added a Monster Articulated hollowing system in Feb of 2011 and that sure takes hollowing up a notch.
Reading, watching videos and constantly learning and trying new things. Self taught with lots of great help from my two main forums, (Woodworking Friends and Sawmill Creek). Very interesting to read about all of you, thanks.
Peter F.

Baxter Smith
09-21-2011, 10:13 PM
Will be 57 next month though I don't feel a day over 56. First watched a distant relative turn on a treadle lathe in the early 60's. 8th grade shop allowed the use of the lathe so 1967 was my first turning experience. The lathe was green so probably a PM 45. Loved shop and my grandparents wanted to get me something for Christmas... so I dreamed of a lathe. Even had a Delta Rockwell catalog to look at. Ended up getting a Delta Homecraft jig saw on a stand that my Uncle built. The westinghouse motor that came off my great grandmothers butter churn still runs it.

Picked up my first lathe at an auction in the mid 90's. A Yates American, 3 phase. I spent more time rigging up a step pulley on the outboard end to run it than I did actually turning. Picked up a Delta Rockwell VS lathe from that late 60's catalog when a good friend of my fathers passed away in the late 90's. Turned a few pens and spindles the first year I had it but work, family, and other woodworking projects needed to be done first. In December 2009, with the help of what I read here, I tried my first bowl and got hooked. After about 6 months of bowl and hollowform turning, I realized that my 60's dream lathe, wasn't the top of the line anymore. Some of the things I thought I wanted in a lathe matched up with a good craigslist deal on a 3520A about a year ago so I jumped in a little deeper!

Jeff Fagen
09-22-2011, 12:02 AM
I am 51 and have had many lathes over the years starting in Jr. high.I really fell into the vortex 2 years ago and am turning on a Delta 46-460 now.:)

Bob Hamilton
09-22-2011, 12:48 AM
I am 57 and started turning in the early 90's on a Delta 46-700. Used it for about 12 years and then moved up to a Nova DVR. Still have the DVR but bought a General 25-114 midi lathe last spring that lets me move out into the back yard in nice weather. :)

Bob

Barbara Gill
09-22-2011, 3:15 PM
65. I have been turning about 10 years. My first lathe was a Nova 3000.

Russell Neyman
09-22-2011, 5:26 PM
Will turn 63 this December, and I inherited a Shopsmith from my grandfather in the 1980's and the lathe accessories lay dormant for years. The "system" included some lightweight faceplates and cheap chisels. I have used that five-in-one machine and other garage workshop tools for 30 years to build cabinets and cases, so I'm hardly a novice at woodworking, but I didn't do much turning except the occasional spindle. Couldn't sleep one night in 1998 and went to the garage to work out my frustration, and mounted up a small piece of curly maple and started making sawdust. I cut the entire thing using a skew chisel, mostly getting a finish via sandpaper.

[I should interject, that the Shopsmith is a horrible woodturning lathe. Runs too fast and doesn't have enough weight, but somehow those first few bowls turned out okay.]

Like the others, I'm essentially self-taught, but since I moved to Puget Sound where turners abound I have picked up lots of tips watching the other guys turn. The local Olympic Peninsula Woodturners here include some absolutely wonderful and talented craftsmen, and just listening to them has advanced my skillset. In my case, the biggest advances have more to do with the equipment; a better lathe with greater variable speeds (especially lower speeds, for larger irregular blanks), a sophisticated sharpening station, and refining my finishes have taken me to a point where I'm shown in several galleries. It has been a long, satisfying journey.

If my son were to catch the turning fever -- I think he will, eventually -- my advice will be purchase the best available machinery and to READ/VIEW EVERYTHING he can get his hands on. The biggest deal in chasing the learning curve, I think, is to simply try every possible technique and every type of turning, and don't be afraid to fail.

Adding a postscript to my previous post, because it seems one of the themes here is the progression of equipment:

After the aforementioned Shopsmith, I purchased a very lightweight copy-lathe for $225. Turning on that was like trying to herd cats. So I sold that for $300 (kept some of the tools that came with it) and bought a new Shop Fox 1758 for about $525. I was unhappy with the Shop Fox because it would not go to lower speeds for the large irregulars I do, but also because both the tailstock and tool rest broke easily. Being the wheeler-dealer I am, I sold that for $500 after 18 months and bought my current machine, a slightly used Jet 1442, for $550. Very, very happy with this machine because it has the required variable speed and the head pivots for platter work.

Rich Aldrich
09-22-2011, 7:20 PM
I am 49 and started turning a year and a half. I started with the Jet 1642 1 1/2 hp lathe. It has been a blast so far, when I get the chance. However, it has been just a year in termoil, so I havent turned as much as I wanted. I do have a family in logging and a good source of wood when they are in hardwood.

I decided to start turning because the cabinet hobby was too slow. Turning really gets brings out the artist even in an engineer.

Thanks to Steve Schlumpf and Norm Hefke from the Superiorland turners club; they gave me a good start. I need to get back to the meetings again. Like I said, it has been a year of termoil and I havent had much time to devote to turning or meetings.

willis martin
09-22-2011, 8:21 PM
hi. I'm 73 retired from the navy(24 years and united tech, started with a !6 inch craftsman and was happy with it until I went to my first swat (then called Texas Turn or two) since then I now have a powermatic and a jet mini Ive set up the craftsman variable speed dedicated to hollowforms No formal lessons but.Much help from our mentor program .dvds and mags. Love to turn turn turn.wsm

Craig Matheny
09-22-2011, 8:31 PM
Well I am 50 years old turning 51 in Oct. been turning for less then a month on a shop smith.

Richard Madden
09-22-2011, 8:53 PM
This has been a great thread to read. I'm 62 and I have been turning for almost 4 years. Had a woodworking class in H.S. but no turning. In Oct. of 2007 I bought a Nova 1624-44 and just about all flat work stopped. Some books and DVD's have helped teach me to turn along with the tremendous help from forums like this.

Donny Lawson
09-22-2011, 10:11 PM
Guess it's my turn. I'm 44 and done flatwork for 10-12yrs. I fell into the turning vortex about 4yrs ago when a friend wanted to show me how to make pens. I started out with a Ridgid pole lathe. I then bought my Delta 46-460 and used it for about 6 months and my shop burnt. After rebuilding I dug out what I could salvage,built a new shop and bought a Jet 1642 and love the turning world. I just wish I had started turning alot sooner. My Delta still runs like new. It's my pen lathe.

Wally Wenzel
09-22-2011, 10:40 PM
I am 83, first lathe was a Dunlop sold by sears don't recall what year that was,early 50's i suppose. Have had a lathe ever since of one kind or other, didn't always do a lot of turning then, but went to Vermont and took a two day course from a turner there about 84 or so and have been doing a little ever since. I think i learned more from this forumn than i did from the two days in vermont, but got to see the north east in the fall, which made it worthwhile.
Wally

Jim Leslie
09-22-2011, 11:16 PM
Half past 65 and started turning on a Sears Craftsman tube lathe in the late 70's

Jim Johnstun
09-23-2011, 12:04 AM
72 here I started out on an old shopsmith that was purchased from Sears. used that one making polychromastic bowls. didn't know wahat I wass doing but it didn't matter. Bought a new shopsmith when they went basck into production about 1970. Turned on that until about 1981 when i watched a demo by Bob stocksdale. Bought one of his gouges and used it for everything. Got an older delta gap bed lathe. don't remember the model. Then I purchased a Nova 1644. Am still going strong. Jim

Cheryl A. Prince
09-23-2011, 5:33 AM
Greetings all! I'll be 52 in November and have been turning for about 5 years. I had to take home economics in high school and never even dreamed of taking shop! 10 years ago I decided I needed a hobby and started out with a scroll saw. From there I moved to a band saw to make band saw boxes and then one day I wondered how I could make my own round little drawer pulls. The guy who owns the local True Value hardware store happened to be getting rid of his craftsman lathe so I bought it, thus began the fall into the vortex! I love turning bowls and hollow forms. I hope to someday soon get brave enough to post some here and enter a show or two. This forum has been incredibly helpful and inspiring!

jared herbert
09-23-2011, 8:32 AM
I first used a lathe about 45 years ago in a school shop. About 20 years ago I made a small bench top lathe that worked but not too well. I turned afew spindles to make wood sleds. Then about 12 years ago I got started looking at stuff on the internet sites and thought I would like to make a bowl. My wife bought me a delta mini lathe for christmas and I have been at it ever since, off and on. Six years ago I bought a 3520A and couldnt be happier with it. I did spend a day with Alan Lacer at his home shop for a private lesson, I learned a lot. Besides that I am self taught, read all the mags. By the way I am 60 years old. Jared

Tom Winship
09-23-2011, 8:50 AM
Am 68 years old, retired in '07 and got addicted to flat work, then Neanderthal slippery slope. Started peeking at Turners forum about a year ago. Have a Jet 1236 that I bought in '99 to turn some table legs. Made some pens late last year. Turned my first bowl about 2 months ago and have been really bitten. With some help from people like John Keeton, Kathy Marshall, several DVD's, and a local turners club, I am neck deep now. My biggest problem now is deciding what to replace the 1236 with since my wife wants "bigger bowls". Learn something new every day.

Nathan Hawkes
09-23-2011, 8:54 AM
Greetings to my Creeky friends! Somehow that just sounds wrong. Sorry guys (and gals). Well I'm 34, and started turning about 5 years ago, maybe 6. I honestly can't remember. I took shop class in middle school, but at my high school, if you were in band and took a foreign language, you pretty much couldn't do any other electives. Anyway, I got into woodworking again after a bit of acrylics fabrication. I had a business taking care of high-end (meaning expensive and complicated) saltwater aquariums. I realized that some of the filtration equipment was fairly easily constructed. In short order, I ended up with a table saw, router table, and a drill press in my KITCHEN!! There wasn't anywhere else for it. I gave up on aquariums and decided to go back to school, working a night job at the same time. On a lot of nights that I didn't work, I couldn't sleep. I read an article about chainsaw milling in a woodworking magazine, and had heard of it, but then I was hooked on woodworking. I saw a woodturner at a craft show who also milled his own lumber with a big saw, and I fell into the VORTEX! I bought a crappy used Craftsman lathe, quickly got rid of it for an old Rockwell Delta. At first, it was in my spare time, then in late 2007 or 2008 I started selling my work. I bought a Powermatic 3520 about 2 1/2 years ago, funded by my sales. It just escalated from there. I paid my last year of Nursing School with sales. I now have dozens of logs outside my shop, all sourced from tree services, construction sites, and thunderstorm damaged trees. I also have probably hundreds of blanks inside the shed, in various states of moisture content. I have hundreds of roughed out bowls and boxes. I guess the only place to go from here is to get a nursing job, buy a house, then build a real shop that isn't just an uninsulated shed with a woodstove, then quit the job, and start turning full time again. Wish I could afford it now!! Its paying rent, car payment, etc. but just barely.

Kevin L Little
09-23-2011, 2:06 PM
I'll be 45 in November and gifts and cash are welcomed..
I've been doing wood working for over 30 years and recently got back into turning after being away from it for about 20 years. I don't make furniture any longer and have reduce my work space, so pens, bowls, stoppers and any other spinny thing I can make works out well.

Bernie May
09-23-2011, 7:46 PM
I will be 64 in December. Took a class in Dec. 07 and bought a 3520B the next spring, choice based on comments from this site. Still putzing with flatwork and home remodeling. But the future holds lots of turning. Last year everyone got tree ornaments, clocks, and cutting boards.
-bernie

Christopher Stahl
10-09-2011, 8:53 PM
I'm 37 and started turning back in 2005 when my wife gave me a Delta Midi Lathe for Christmas. I was hooked but eventually wanted to get into larger materials so I purchased a Nova DVR XP 3 years ago.

Tom Hamilton
10-09-2011, 9:32 PM
Great thread! I'm 64 with Medicare card in hand in anticipation of a Dec 65th birthday.

In Sept 2007 someone on the Creek commented that Amazon had three Delta LA 200 lathes for $125 with free shipping. I clicked over and got lathe number 2. This was about the time that the Creekers "Bombed" Ken Fitzgerald with a lathe. I figured it must be an interesting change from flatwork.

Little did I know!

A few lessons later, a PM 3520B, numerous chucks, tools, abrasives and who knows what else, I'm a turner. And absolutely love it.

Artistic expression, instant gratification, appreciative family and friends, teaching others, learning from others. It is good.

All the best, Tom, in Douglasville, really glad he turned to turning.

Sid Matheny
10-09-2011, 10:49 PM
I'm 61 and have been turning wood for about 6+ years. Always enjoyed making thing and turned to WW about 10 years ago. Enjoyed turning back many years ago when I was a machinist so had to have a wood lathe also.

Sid

Jon McElwain
10-10-2011, 1:19 AM
Well, lets see, I am 34 years old, and I suppose I have technically been turning for about 7 years. I bought an older 46-700 along with a house and started making bonkers. I was pretty frustrated with turning until I bought a high school woodworking book from the 70's that got me at least holding the tools in a manner that would cut the wood.

My father-in-law bought a lathe a couple years later - it was a 1880 Lodge and Davis (modified to work with a 3/4 horse electric motor). Anyway, it ended up being a stand for his dovetail jig. I was joking with him one day that he should give it to me instead of having it take up so much space in his shop. Well, one day this 500 lb beast showed up at my shop! It's speed range was from around 1500 rpm on the low end to low-altitude-earth-orbit on the high end. I didn't know much about turning, but I knew enough to keep out of the swing!! I am amazed that I never lost a limb and never blew a whole through the roof with that thing.

A move forced me to sell the Lodge and Davis, and I gave the Delta to my father-in-law who was showing some interest in turning again. I upgraded to a Oneway 2436 with all the bells and whistles, along with a Delta 46-460. So now I turn on those in the winter at my home in Colorado. My family and I spend our summers in Alaska, so while there I use a 12" Delta of my dad's.

I went back to school a couple of years ago, about the same time I got the Oneway, and around the time I started at Sawmill Creek. I don't get much time for turning, but I am getting straight "A's", so I figure I'll have some more time for it when I finish next spring!

Love the Creek,

Jon McElwain

John Spitters
10-10-2011, 1:40 AM
I'm 54 will be 55 in November, semi retired, I did my very first turning sometime in 2008 on an old beaver lathe that came with a 1/3hp, which I immediately upgraded to a 1hp then a few months later sold that lathe and got a general 26020VS which is my current lathe. It's really just been this last year that I've had the spare time to turn since partial retirement.

John

George wilmore
10-11-2011, 9:40 PM
I am 58 started turning in high school. I used to teach woodworking until the school drop it as a class so now I teach engineering and sneak turning in when I can. The lathe was the most popular machine. I had to set up a rotation on when they got to use it.