PDA

View Full Version : Cyclone replacement air

John Scarpa
02-24-2005, 11:55 PM
I have a 2hp Oneida cyclone that I bought with out a filter as I plan to vent it out the roof being that the climate is mild in Southern California.

But then I got to thinking. My shop is in the family 2 car garage and shares space with the water heater and furnance. Per code there are vents in the wall opposite the furnace and water heater. Will I create a problem with these units by not returning the air to the garage via a filter? :confused:

Steve Roxberg
02-25-2005, 12:13 AM
I have a 2hp Oneida cyclone that I bought with out a filter as I plan to vent it out the roof being that the climate is mild in Southern California.

But then I got to thinking. My shop is in the family 2 car garage and shares space with the water heater and furnance. Per code there are vents in the wall opposite the furnace and water heater. Will I create a problem with these units by not returning the air to the garage via a filter? :confused:

I am not an expert, but it seems that the air must be replaced and it will come from the place of least resistance. Why not build a external structure to handl the noise and dust collector, and vent the air back in?

Karl Laustrup
02-25-2005, 6:28 AM
What Steve said is what I'm planning. Of course that's if spring ever gets here. I plan on the noise of the cyclone [as well as my compressor] outside with the filtered air being returned to the shop. The only downside to that John, is your location. If you have neighbors, they may not appreciate the noise.

Jeff Sudmeier
02-25-2005, 8:06 AM

I would think that this would be a major problem, You would not want the fine dust, that would be coming out of the exhaust of the onieda building up in your furnace and water heater. I would think there would be a fire hazzard.

Also, have you thought about the mess of all of that fine dust going outside on your roof?

Jim Becker
02-25-2005, 8:32 AM
If there is a flame, you MUST reincorporate the air back into the space, either by changing you plans and going with the filter or by providing an opening from the outside to let the air back in.

------
Jeff, unless there is a blow-by because of inadvertantly overfilling the bin, there will be pretty much no evidence of any dust outside as the only thing that passes through the blower is the finest of fine stuff...it will never be noticed, unless it's in your lungs.

Steven Wilson
02-25-2005, 9:27 AM
Yes, there will be a problem. If you had purchased the filter then the air you would be returning to your shop would be cleaner than the air outside of it.

Mark Singer
02-25-2005, 9:39 AM
A gas fired appliance needs combustion air. This is true even before you install the Oneida. There should be vents existing in the walls of the garage or maybe through thr roof which supplys combustion air. For a furnace you need both high and low combustion air, it should be there now. If not you should cut in vents. . It is typically 100 sq inches up high and 100 sq inches down low, per appliance.
I have te Oneda and vent to the outside it is a great way to go if the climate is warmer.

John Scarpa
02-25-2005, 12:13 PM
Steve, Carl,
I won't be able to mount it outside as there is no room for that outside as I am crowding the property line outside as it is.

Jeff, Thanks I think Jim has it right and I remember reading that from an old post by Mark that there is no visible dust at the exhaust. I think I may want to put a silencer on it though so I'm less distrubing to the neighbors.

Jim, Mark,
Thanks, I think that answers it for me. I do have the vents as you describe high and low on the opposite wall from the furnance and water heater. What I didn't want to do was pull air down (CO2) through the exahust vents from the water heater or furnance.

Mark,
Do you have any open flame uints in your chop? By the way if you could check your PMs I have a structural relatedquestion for you as well.

I really appreciate the feedback. This place is great!

John

JayStPeter
02-25-2005, 2:16 PM
Jeff, unless there is a blow-by because of inadvertantly overfilling the bin, there will be pretty much no evidence of any dust outside as the only thing that passes through the blower is the finest of fine stuff...it will never be noticed, unless it's in your lungs.

Yeah, overfilling WILL happen though :eek: . But, maybe it's easier to have wind and rain take it away than having to clean it all out of your filter system :D

Jay

Mac McAtee
02-25-2005, 2:29 PM
If those units are gas fired then you stand a real good chance of sucking the combustion gases back down the vents and out into the room.

If that is the case, gas fired, you need to isolate the dust collection system from the two units or visa versa.

You do not want to be flooding your shop with combustion fumes. That dust collection system will pull a lot harder than natural convection that is taking the fumes up the smoke stacks on the units.

Jeff Sudmeier
02-25-2005, 2:30 PM
Yeah, overfilling WILL happen though :eek: . But, maybe it's easier to have wind and rain take it away than having to clean it all out of your filter system :D

Jay

:) better get some gutter guards... all that sawdust would plug up a down spout right quick :)

Ray Bersch
02-25-2005, 3:21 PM
John, Those who have advised providing more make up-air are correct. Understand that the existing vents are sufficient to supply air to the existing appliances assuming static air condidions. Once you start drawing air through your DC system and throwing it outside, you may over come the supply capabilities of those vents and create just enough suction to pull CO2 back down the appliance chimney (and I am assuming you do not have high efficiency units which force exhaust air out.) However, I don't know of a two car garage so tight that it would cause a major problem and the answer is easy - why not experiment with just opening the garage door a few inches or open a window if you have one. That should provide sufficient make-up air. In addition, why not install a couple of CO2 detectors in the house - say one in the living area and one in the garage, but well away from the appliances to avoid false alarms). These could be life savers in conditions other than those that you are thinking about now. Very cheap insurance - and a good idea for all the rest of you guys, too.

John Scarpa
02-25-2005, 6:21 PM
Mac, Ray,
I think you both have something there. I am worried about this unit sucking more air than the vents can supply. There only has to be a slight out of balance condition from the cfm of the unit and the static air supply offered by the fresh air vents to cause a CO2 problem.

I'm leaning toward purchasing the filter unit from Oneida to ensure I have balanced return air. Besides, I'd eventually forget to crack a door when I am running the cyclone! :rolleyes:

I'll mull this over a bit and let you know what I decide.

Thanks for everyone's help!