PDA

View Full Version : Playing with Ash and dye again

Kathy Marshall
09-20-2011, 12:16 AM
So tonight I just wanted to do something quick and easy, so I grabbed the other half of a small ash blank that I cut a few days ago.
Once I got the outside turned I started thinking I should do a little more practice with dyes. Then I started thinking maybe I should play around and add another embellishment. So I dug around and found the little 1/6" Sorby beading tool I bought months ago.
I started out at the top and worked my way down. I need a little more practice with it. The first couple went good but as I worked my way down following the curve, I wasn't spacing them enough apart and the right hand side of the tool was pushing itself to the left and the outside edge of the left side of the tool was rubbing against the bead next to it.
I brushed on the red Rit dye in order to get it down in the grooves, put it on pretty heavy and did not sand back. Once it was dry, I went over it lightly with 0000 steel wool just enough to knock off some of the raised grain. When it was complete I added a coat of shellac.
I didn't spend a lot of time trying to sand the beads (as you can see) since it was just a practice piece. I'll have to work on beading on a bigger piece and getting a better surface and finish.
This one is 4 1/2" x 1 1/2" and it's kinda growing on me.

Thanks for looking!
Comments and critiqes are welcome.

Bill Boehme
09-20-2011, 3:16 AM
I don't have a great deal of experience with beading, but the way that I do it is to engage just one side of the beading tool and then slowly rotate it to where the other point is doing most of the cutting. Here is an the grand total of all of my beading experience (just one bowl).

http://www.pbase.com/bill_boehme/image/114801005/large.jpg

Jim Burr
09-20-2011, 8:04 AM
I really like you choice of finish Kathy...the wood has a nice warm glow to it. I tried the Sorby beader earlier this year and it scared me to death! Looks like you have a good grip on the process!

Fred Belknap
09-20-2011, 8:23 AM
Kathy I like the bowl and the beading job looks pretty good to me. I was wondering if the 1/6" was a miss-print as that sounds like an unusual size. I have a 1/4" beading tool (forgot where I got it) and haven't had any luck using it. It works great when I want to burn parallel lines.

Michelle Rich
09-20-2011, 8:38 AM
love the bright red, catch your eye, color..good & deep..looks great against the plain interior..neat bowl

Doug W Swanson
09-20-2011, 8:40 AM
Nice little bowl, Kathy. I like the color on this one....

Bernie Weishapl
09-20-2011, 8:57 AM
Really nice Kathy. Color really makes it stand out.

charlie knighton
09-20-2011, 11:56 AM
Kathy, i really like the transition from dyed to natural finish of the ash

Bill like yours also, hope to see more

Kathy Marshall
09-21-2011, 1:21 AM
Thanks guys!

I don't have a great deal of experience with beading, but the way that I do it is to engage just one side of the beading tool and then slowly rotate it to where the other point is doing most of the cutting. Here is an the grand total of all of my beading experience (just one bowl).

Beautiful bowl Bill! If that's your 1st and only, you need to be doing a bunch more! I like your idea and I'll have to give it a try next time!

I really like you choice of finish Kathy...the wood has a nice warm glow to it. I tried the Sorby beader earlier this year and it scared me to death! Looks like you have a good grip on the process!
Thanks Jim! Just use it like a scraper, level and on center, and take your time and don't force it.

Kathy I like the bowl and the beading job looks pretty good to me. I was wondering if the 1/6" was a miss-print as that sounds like an unusual size. I have a 1/4" beading tool (forgot where I got it) and haven't had any luck using it. It works great when I want to burn parallel lines.
Thanks Fred! I think you're right, I meant to check when I was out in the shop tonight, but I think it might be a 1/8". I have another that I think is a 1/4".

Mike Willeson
09-21-2011, 7:46 AM
Very nice Kathy...I like the color...looks very warm.

I have been curious about dyes. When creating the edge of color on top and bottom, how do you keep it from bleeding and advancing into the "undyed" areas? (Hope that question made sense)

Dan Hintz
09-21-2011, 11:55 AM
I didn't spend a lot of time trying to sand the beads (as you can see) since it was just a practice piece. I'll have to work on beading on a bigger piece and getting a better surface and finish.
I think the rough surface works well with this particular piece/color... it adds somewhat of a rustic feel.

allen thunem
09-21-2011, 12:04 PM
Kathy just curious what kind of dye are you using?