PDA

View Full Version : Electric motor and magnetic switch question

Karl Card
09-20-2011, 12:13 AM
I am picking up my new motor tomorrow for my delta table saw. It is a 7.5 hp single phase tefc with NO overload protection built into it. I am assuming a magnetic starter switch is what I need.
If so can anyone tell me if this particular switch will do the job: http://www.ebay.com/itm/280715831577?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

The motor I am getting is rated at 35 amps startup and 33 amps running.

Thank you for reading.

Karl

Rick Fisher
09-20-2011, 3:45 AM
That starter should work..

Its rated from 32 amps and up.. you need 33, if the motor is rated at 1.15.. you would likely set it at 35 amps... no problem. If its 1.0 SF .. you might set it at 33 ..

It says it has overloads which are important .. motors 5hp and up usually don't have built in protection.

The only thing it does not say is the voltage of the coil, but its likely 220V .. you might ask before buying but will want to confirm once you get it ..

Karl Card
09-20-2011, 8:51 PM
Thanks Rick. I have it ordered, picked up my 7.5 hp motor today and man that thing is soooooooo smooth. No vibration at all. The guy I bought it from had a smaller switch there that was just good enough to at least show me that it ran. I think this Delta saw is going to be a wood eater...

David Kumm
09-20-2011, 10:07 PM
Karl, I did not see whether the starter was nema rated. That one may be fine but be aware there are some crummy Chinese starters out there. There are also lots of used size 2 starters on ebay. It doesn't matter if they are single or three phase in your application. Dave

Karl Card
09-21-2011, 8:18 AM
@David, yes you are correct. What I did was talked with the peope selling the switch and he assured me he has had no returns or bad feedback from them. I also took into account his feedback rating and 99.9 percent positive feedback made me feel like he must be taking care of business. Anything can happen though, nema switches from what I saw where quite expensive, of course we all know that old phrase "you get what you pay for".. Time will tell.