PDA

View Full Version : Where to Hang Air Filter in Small Shop

Eric Jacobson
09-19-2011, 9:04 PM
208035I need advice on where to hang my new Jet AFS 1000B air filter in a small shop. See diagram for shop layout. Unfortunately, I've got lines of florescent lights along both the long walls, making the center of the room an ideal location to hang it. I also ran a ceiling outlet near the center. But now I'm confused because some threads suggest hanging filters near long walls. I would love to place the air filter so it is blowing right on me when I'm standing next to the lathe, but I'm concerned that it may not allow the dust to escape the corner of the room near the lathe. If anyone has a firm answer, I can move some lights and run another ceiling receptacle. That would be much easier than running another 220V outlet and moving the lathe.

I've read several threads but can't seem to find a consistent answer. Some seem to say hang in center of room and others say to run it next to the longest wall with the intake closer to the shorter wall. I think I can picture this but I would love to see a diagram or picture.

Thanks

Bernie Weishapl
09-19-2011, 9:10 PM
My lathe is in the middle of my shop at one end with the headstock about 2 ft from the wall opposite the door on the other end (12 X 20). I hung my air cleaner above the lathe at the opposite end of the headstock. It seems to work pretty well there and has for 3 yrs now.

Bob Bergstrom
09-19-2011, 10:16 PM
Mine is on a long wall and it will also be advantageous to put an additional fan on the the opposite wall to help push the air around the room. In my opinion, keeping the air circulating around and through the filter will be the most effective.

Dan Henry
09-20-2011, 12:00 AM
My shop is about square and have the filter in the center of close to the edge of the wall. I made deflector to turn the out flow air circulate around the room.

Dan

Jon Lanier
09-20-2011, 12:14 AM
I had read that closer to the floor is often better. Dust settles down, not up. ???? I have garage with no ceiling so I really don't use one... blow it all out the door after a while.

Scott Hackler
09-20-2011, 10:43 AM
Mine is in the middle of my 15x30 shop with the air intake side towards the side of my shop where the lathe is located. Works pretty good when I remember to turn the darn thing on!

Wally Dickerman
09-20-2011, 12:10 PM
The filter needs to be near the ceiling. The finest dust that you just about can't see is the stuff that ends up on the top shelves. Seems to be lighter than air. You don't want the filter to be behind you when you're turning. It pulls that fine dust right at you

Jamie Donaldson
09-20-2011, 1:04 PM
Eric- the ideal location would be above and beyond the tailstock of the lathe, exhausting toward the long dimension of the room. This will aid in circulating air around the room, but this cleaner will only filter the finest suspended dust, and do little to capture the larger particles that should be collected right behind the lathe work area opposite the tool rest, the back side of the bed ways. This is where a good dust collection system pick-up is most beneficial for your health.

Eric Jacobson
09-20-2011, 4:35 PM
the ideal location would be above and beyond the tailstock of the lathe, exhausting toward the long dimension of the room.

This is kind of what I was thinking. But the disadvantage seems like it would be, the clean air is blowing away from where I'm standing. It sure seems like it would feel good to have that clean air blowing right on me. Especially since this is a basement shop without any air flow.

Marc Himes
09-20-2011, 7:31 PM
I agree with Jamie that the most important part of your air treatment is going to be the dust collection right at your lathe. Make that be as efficient as you can with 1 micron filter bags. The I also agree with Jamie on the position of the air filter, but I am not sure it is that critical if you have good dust collection at the source.

Robert Newton
09-20-2011, 8:49 PM
Don't have an air filter but should. Set up a box fan next to lathe and place furnace filter next to it and this does a pretty good job. Take filter outside and knock out dust as it plugs up. Also use a dust mask if I do alot of sanding.