PDA

View Full Version : burl caps?

ryan kelley
09-19-2011, 5:51 PM
Where are some good places to buy burl caps. I am looking for a good selection and reasonable prices.

curtis rosche
09-19-2011, 6:09 PM
i believe righteous hardwoods has plenty of them

David E Keller
09-19-2011, 7:08 PM
Lots of options for caps. Cory Norgart at upnorthburls.net has some fantastic black ash burl at reasonable prices. Ebay can be a good source at times, too. Australianburls and Bad Dog burls both have a nice selection of Aussie burls, and the latter even has some domestic offerings as well. Your local tree surgeon can be a great resource. Mike Smith at centurytreeturnings has a nice selection of wood including burls, and his prices are as good as any I've seen.

If all else fails, Keeton has a friend with a big silver maple that would keep you busy for a while.

charlie knighton
09-19-2011, 8:28 PM
If all else fails, Keeton has a friend with a big silver maple that would keep you busy for a while.

Ryan, change into your ninga woodwacker costume, i am sure there is a worn path to that silver maple, probably need to wear boots to wade through the drool.

Gary Herrmann
09-19-2011, 8:38 PM
I keep asking my engineer friends to figure out a way to silence a chain saw so black bag jobs like that will be easier. I have my eyes on several trees in my neighborhood...

John Keeton
09-20-2011, 7:25 AM
Mike Smith (http://www.easternncwoodworkers.com/msmith/woodblocks.htm) has provided that vast majority of the burls I use. I know Mike has been under the weather recently, and on the road a lot. But, he has nice stuff and a really great guy to deal with.

Presently, I am working with Northwoods (http://www.nwfiguredwoods.com/burl-wood.php) on some box elder burl. I bought some BLM burl from them at AAW and was very pleased. Most of their stuff is milled in block form, but they also have individual burls.

Can't help much on exotics. While I love the way they look, working with them just doesn't interest me much.