PDA

View Full Version : How much would this be worth (normally)

Ron Bontz
09-19-2011, 3:04 PM
I finally managed to finish a built in for a relative,(except for some crown at the top and corner moulding.) I know I did not charge that much for the work. But I was there trying to help her, not make money. None the less when I retire I am hoping to perhaps do a little custom work here and there to supplement my income and feed this habit. So. I am wondering what something like this would be worth. Surly some of you pros out there have done something like this. I posted this on another site but did not get much response with regard to worth. It is approx. 9'6" square. Thanks in advance.http://i1179.photobucket.com/albums/x395/ronb19571/House project/Entertianment Centers/IMG_0149.jpg (http://i1179.photobucket.com/albums/x395/ronb19571/House%20project/Entertianment%20Centers/IMG_0149.jpg)

http://i1179.photobucket.com/albums/x395/ronb19571/House project/Entertianment Centers/IMG_0148.jpg (http://i1179.photobucket.com/albums/x395/ronb19571/House%20project/Entertianment%20Centers/IMG_0148.jpg)

http://i1179.photobucket.com/albums/x395/ronb19571/House project/Entertianment Centers/IMG_0150.jpg (http://i1179.photobucket.com/albums/x395/ronb19571/House%20project/Entertianment%20Centers/IMG_0150.jpg)

http://i1179.photobucket.com/albums/x395/ronb19571/House project/Entertianment Centers/IMG_0152.jpg (http://i1179.photobucket.com/albums/x395/ronb19571/House%20project/Entertianment%20Centers/IMG_0152.jpg)

The top center door opens upward with pneumatic lifts and underneath the TV area is a drawer for DVDs.

Kyle Brooks
09-19-2011, 3:13 PM
Ron, I have no idea of how much, but wanted to comment on the wonderful job you did.........

johnny means
09-19-2011, 3:13 PM
I would get about 6k for that, maybe as low as 4k if we really went lean on methods and material.

Gene Howe
09-19-2011, 3:21 PM
Ron, I have no idea of how much, but wanted to comment on the wonderful job you did.........
+1 It's gorgeous!

Ron Bontz
09-19-2011, 3:25 PM
John, Thanks for the input. I certainly need to learn to estimate better. I always seem to take longer than I think I will.

Erik France
09-19-2011, 3:44 PM
I always seem to take longer than I think I will.Nice work.
On the estimating time part, I've always found it best to take my first guess then double it... Works at the architecture office, and in the shop.

Paul Johnstone
09-19-2011, 4:59 PM
That's awesome work..

glenn bradley
09-19-2011, 5:42 PM
I always seem to take longer than I think I will.

You're not alone and from what I can tell, this doesn't change.

I've always found it best to take my first guess then double it... Works at the architecture office, and in the shop.

This generally turns out about right for me (sometimes too little, very rarely too much).

Fred Voorhees
09-19-2011, 6:52 PM
Ron...I won't give you a figure on how much you should charge because I am not hot in that area..but I did want to congratulate you on one hell of a job! Very nice work and I am sure that you can command some nice prices for such work. I do have one question though...why didn't you balance out the unit with another side unit with the three compartments?

Carl Beckett
09-19-2011, 6:55 PM
Great piece Ron!

A question about your estimating: How much of the miscalculation is due to incomplete planning? (and what was the ratio of material to labor?)

I am a hobbiest and not trying to make a living. As such, part of the enjoyment of the process is to 'wing it' a bit and let the design evolve as I build. Sometimes this is good, sometimes this is not so great. For sure, it means what I 'thought' was a weekend project can take several, with plenty of rework and changes along the way.

For a project like this though, I would guess that if you had all the details completely defined up front (plans like you see in the wood magazines), and plenty of material (I spent a ton of time trying to maximize material usage)- you would come pretty close to the fabrication estimates. (am just guessing). Finishing is another matter and I almost always underestimate this (mainly because again, I dont really think it through)

So the question is - are there particular parts of the estimating process that we tend to miss more than others?

Mike Henderson
09-19-2011, 7:08 PM
I would get about 6k for that, maybe as low as 4k if we really went lean on methods and material.

I agree. My first reaction was $6K.

Mike

Ron Bontz
09-19-2011, 7:20 PM
Fred, The symmetry question was my first concern. The owner had this basically already framed in when I received the pictures. They would not change that extra "box" on the side. I wanted to make two (one each side) about half as tall. They wouldn't buy it. So I was stuck. Then when I got there,130 miles north, I had to eventually re frame parts of it to square and plumb it. The rest was basically built in my little shop and transported there. The plans for it were drawn up on my Wright era drafting table,(I am old fashioned) and changed about 3 times. So the materials I could estimate fairly close. My time was another story. Some days I buzz right along and other days I seem to spend more time deciding how I want to do something as opposed to just doing it. Note to self: Drink more coffee. Or maybe not.
Other times I seem to do better just winging it.

Ron Bontz
09-19-2011, 7:27 PM
Thanks again. I will use things like this to get an idea on similar projects. I should use a time clock.

Kevin Presutti
09-19-2011, 10:06 PM
Ron,
I too would like to say "Great Job"! As far as estimating, a very successful gentleman I worked for when asked how he estimates the size of some of the jobs we did, his reply......."Figure out what it is going to cost you to do the job then just add on what you want to make"! I found it to be somewhat humorus when he told me that but he was dead serious. Some say figure the cost of materials then triple or quadruple the price. Time isn't always the issue as the tools you own and maintain are determining factors in the processes you utilize, the more and better tools, bits, blades, etc. you own , maintain, and replace allow you time savings by eliminating 2 or 3 steps in some instances which in turn allows which gets you more $$ per hour otherwise known as ROI (return on investment). Every job has a ceiling on what you can charge unless you have a customer who has more dollars than they have sense. It is obvious you know your way around the shop so you haven't a problem there so there is no reason to be a philanthropist. Calculate the cost and charge what you think you're worth oh and keep posting pics that was one helluva nice built-in! White Oak??? BTW I too am good with $6K!

Dan Henry
09-19-2011, 11:52 PM
An old cabinet maker told me that he charged 1/3 for materiel, 1/3 for labor and 1/3 for profit. I would think the profit could be used for machinery/shop up keep and new stuff.
Seams like a good place to start.

Dan

John Shuk
09-20-2011, 9:51 AM
What a great way to hide the duct work.
Nice Job on the piece.
As to price I can't comment.
I do imagine that your estimates of time will become more accurate as time goes on.

David Thompson 27577
09-20-2011, 10:59 AM
I agree with others that this is maybe a $6 grand job.

I agree with others that you have done a great job, given the design specs that your customer mandated.

And I think that the customer will eventually understand that his/her design skills need improvement.

Oh -- and have fun adding crown if that's in the plan. The geometry of crown molding does not work when the ceiling is vaulted. IIRC, there was an article in Fine Home Building a few years back, where they showed how to hand carve the transitional pieces that were needed.

Bill White
09-20-2011, 11:59 AM
I use the same formula that Dan Henry offered. Works for me.
Bill

Bill Edwards(2)
09-20-2011, 12:42 PM
Nice work.
On the estimating time part, I've always found it best to take my first guess then double it... Works at the architecture office, and in the shop.

Computer programming as well.

And if the customer doesn't smile add another 25%

Really nice work!