PDA

View Full Version : Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments....

Dennis Peacock
09-19-2011, 8:34 AM
19 Sep 2011

Good Morning Everyone,
Well, today starts another day of working legal stuff, working financial issues, name changes, account changes, and the list goes on seemingly forever. The only thing I really have to add for today is: Please, Please, make sure all your "stuff" is in order, easy to find, clearly understood, and include instructions for your estate executor. Searching through tens of pounds of paper and multiple filing cabinets is not fun. Please help make it as easy as you can on your loved ones when you leave this old rock. Dad's been gone for over a week now and it's not any easier yet.

That's it for me...so what did YOU do this past weekend?

Best of weeks to you all.

Jerome Hanby
09-19-2011, 9:10 AM
I basically didn't think out a re-purpose of some botched book case sides into shop cabinet sides which had top and bottom rabbets. I decided I really needed a dado for the cabinet bottom and trimmed off the rabbet on one end of each side and cut a dado leaving about 3/4" towards the bottom. Sides already had a 1/4" rabbet at the back to accept the back panel. And I botched the re-purpose by not paying attention to that back rabbet. I clipped the wrong rabbet on one side. Of course I only noticed this after drilling all the shelf pin holes, drilling my pocket screw holes,and gluing/screwing one side! Only bright side is that by using the pocket hole screws, I was about to attach the other side and saw the error before the glue set on the first side. So I get to to trim off the other rabbets on both sides, re-cut them on the top edges and try to work out the dado placement so that all my shelf pin holes stay aligned. At this rate my shop cabinets are only gong to be 4" tall :eek:.

Anthony Whitesell
09-19-2011, 10:07 AM
I'm looking forward to winter so as to be able to put something wood working related in these threads. This weekend I re-built a daylily garden. The previous owner just planted them on the bank and was hard to clean and maintain. I dug them up, laid a fieldstone wall and backfilled with 2 yards of loam. Didn't quite finish, I have enough loam, but need to move over some more stones. Then I have to replant them. I moved around 2500 lbs of stones (2 truck loads) and 5000 pounds of loam (2 yards or trailer loads). My back and arms are ready for my day job.

Ryan Hellmer
09-19-2011, 11:17 AM
Dennis, so sorry for your loss, but great advice.

I finally am getting the changing table finished for daughter #2 (she's 10 weeks old already). 3 coats of oil on the walnut, now to let it dry and wax/buff. Next stop, crib. I've been splitting my shop time (the bit that I'm actually getting) about 70/30 with 70 percent going to actual projects that my wife wants done and 30 percent going to organization and restoration. I am just starting to tear into a DeWalt GK 16" radial arm saw after replacing the bearings in my crescent jointer. It's quite a process but my shop is starting to come together after some new acquisitions and a couple huge projects (flooring and cabinets). Hopefully I can get the crib done while she still needs it.

Ryan

David Hostetler
09-19-2011, 11:37 AM
The whole house has been sick over the weekend. I finally broke the fever late saturday night. I was getting worried about it and was ready to go see the doc today if I hadn't gotten past that... There has been some nasty virus running around the last couple of weeks... Not fun. It was nice to be able to just stay in under the covers with LOML yesterday though. While I usually don't enjoy the crass movies out as of late, LOML and I watched Madea's Big Happy Family and I actually enjoyed it... What can I say? They make me feel better about my family when things with extended relations aren't going exactly smooth...

I did get a tiny bit of shop time this weekend, but all I managed to do was ruin some perfectly good curly maple... I was trying to do some inlay work, and my template moved when it shouldn't have... Trying to solve that problem, and will be now practicing on pine from now on!

matt swiderski
09-20-2011, 10:11 AM
Tailgated at the UK and UoL game, typical UK game. Got to install a new byrd head on my jointer on friday night, boy that thing cuts nice. And spent all day sunday studying for an exam that I have coming up on friday. I always forget how much time school takes. Hope everybody has a good week.
Matt

Matt Meiser
09-20-2011, 12:18 PM
I took a long weekend after a horrible work trip. Spent Friday afternoon trying to find a new bottom seal for our garage door. Overhead Door discontinued the original style which came in a roll, so I have to go with the new style which has a rigid track. Since its 16' long, I can't transport it and have to pay someone to come out and put it in. Saturday went to a flea market where my only find was an older, but decent sounding set of speakers for my shop to replace the cast-off speakers from one of those junky bookshelf systems. Then we went to our John Deere/Stihl dealer's open house to watch the garden tractor pulls, eat "free" pizza, see what's new, etc. I say "free" because I ended up bringing home a new backpack blower. Then I spent most of the rest of the day working on migrating our Windows Home Server before going out to dinner with LOML to celebrate her birthday. Sunday worked a little more on the server before going to watch my daughter cheer at a football game, then the funeral home for a friend's mother, and then dinner with my parents. Monday I finished up the server, then did some cleaning in the shop, built a wall mounted shelf to put in the garage for the new leaf blower.