PDA

View Full Version : Star Bond Ca glue

robert raess
09-19-2011, 1:26 AM
I've been told that this brand is a prefered brand.Where is a good place to buy star bond CA?For attaching a tenon would you go with their thick or medium thick? thanks Rob

Marty Eargle
09-19-2011, 1:53 AM
I have heard many good things about it as well. I believe it is only sold wholesale and to turning clubs/etc. Not sure about which to use for attaching tenons...I prefer hot glue, but I imagine medium thick should do the trick.

Bill Bulloch
09-19-2011, 7:48 AM
Try Google. I googled "Starbond CA Glue" and found several places that sell it for around $10.00 for a 2 Oz bottle.

John Keeton
09-19-2011, 7:56 AM
After several failures early on, I quit using CA for attaching waste blocks - I assume that is what you are referring to when saying tenons. I now use 5 minute epoxy with much better results. It does take a few minutes longer, but one can always do something productive in that time frame.

David E Keller
09-19-2011, 8:04 AM
I've never used Starbond, so I can't comment on the brand... I get all my CA from woodenwonderstx.com, and I use the thick for attaching waste blocks. I've had one or two let loose, but I only use them for small items and miniatures. I just got an 8oz bottle for about $16, and it works fine for me. I think over $25 ships free. I get my epoxy from the same place.

No affiliation other than as a satisfied customer.

Alan Trout
09-19-2011, 9:11 AM
I have used Starbond which you can buy direct. It is good glue and never had any trouble with it. I use a lot of CA and find the EZ Bond works just as well and is a bit cheaper. I buy mine from here. This the same place David gets his. http://woodenwonderstx.com/ZC_WoodenWonders/ I have been using it for a long time with no trouble at all and he is free shipping on anything over $20.

Good Luck

Alan

Jeff Nicol
09-19-2011, 9:57 AM
If you dig deep and find the number of CA manufactures there are not that many who actually mix the chemicals and create mass quantities of the stuff. I have found places where you can buy big containers the size of a 4'x4'x4' cube holding many hundreds of gallons of the stuff. These are then bought wholesale and rebottled my any number of companies putting their own "Brand name" on the labels. I have tried a few different brands and most work identical to the other, some are a little different in their Viscosity from one to the other. The CA that Titebond sells is different in some way as some other accelerators I have don't work as well. But the Woodenwonders brand is my go to for its price and customer service is excellent. I used to buy the Rockler brand and you can't tell the difference, I used to get the "Hot Stuff" labeled CA when I first started using it but that was for building model planes and boats etc and it works the same as far as I can tell.

But like John said I don't use CA for waste or sacrificial blocks, I use titebond and turn the next day, but I hardly ever use waste blocks so it is not very relevent in my turnings.

Price is my first priority, then customer service and the size of bottle I can get comes next, CA is CA and each thickness have longer or shorter open times and the "Flexible" types I have not tried so I have no knowledge of them.

Keep your fingers out of it though, or you may end up scratching your nose for an extended period of time!

Jeff

Scott Hackler
09-19-2011, 10:31 AM
Don't know if anyone else does this, but on advisement from a very well known turner.... I was told to attach a waste block / tenon with Tightbond 2 with a piece of newspaper inbetween the blank and the waste piece. Takes a little time for it to set, BUT it wont break loose while turning very easily. And when your ready all it takes it a sharp wood chisel and a gentle tap of a mallet at the glue line and it pops right apart.

I admittingly dont find the need to use a glued on tenon or waste block all that often, but when I need it.... that is the only way I would do it.

Jim Burr
09-19-2011, 11:29 AM
Don't know if anyone else does this, but on advisement from a very well known turner.... I was told to attach a waste block / tenon with Tightbond 2 with a piece of newspaper inbetween the blank and the waste piece. Takes a little time for it to set, BUT it wont break loose while turning very easily. And when your ready all it takes it a sharp wood chisel and a gentle tap of a mallet at the glue line and it pops right apart.

I admittingly dont find the need to use a glued on tenon or waste block all that often, but when I need it.... that is the only way I would do it.

I tried that a few times Scott...it seemed to work well. I have had CA fail to many times on seemingly easy things to hold so I went back to TB3 for small assembly and expoy for waste blocks. I really do get a wave of fear when using waste blocks...we see the results of industrial accidents in ER all the time, and with the rash of turning accidents lately, I seem to error on the side of caution.

Marty Eargle
09-19-2011, 11:39 AM
I guess I may be in the minority of people who use hot glue on waste blocks. I have used Titebond but I'm usually a bit too spontaneous with my turning to wait for it to set. Whereas hot glue is ready to go on in a few minutes and takes less time to set. I've probably used it on 30+ pieces so far and have never had a piece pop off the tenon. In fact, I've had pieces of wood break into and the glue never moves. Plus, it's not that hard to pop off with a chisel and hammer.