PDA

View Full Version : First accident in 30+ years of woodworking

Jim Leslie
09-19-2011, 1:21 AM
Last night, I was power carving a bowl with my Foredom and started to change the carving bit. I had the wrench attached and was just about to insert the locking pin when I accidentally stepped right down on the footpad. The wrench on the collet started spinning instantly at about 10,000 RPM with the locking pin still attached at the other end of a chain that holds the two together. It whipped the back of my left hand many times, breaking the chain across my knuckles before I knew what happened, and hard enough to break that chain in many bits. I found pieces of it this morning all over, but still have not found the locking pin. My hand was cut in several places and quite swollen. It’s very sore, but fortunately nothing broke and it should be back to normal in a week or two.
I learned from this experience that is is definitely safer to unplug the tool before changing bits. It would have saved me time in the long run and I'd be carving tonight instead of writing this...

Roger Chandler
09-19-2011, 6:15 AM
Jim..........thank you for sharing this with us...........too many accidents, and all are as you have stated avoidable. I am glad your injuries are not more serious than they are. God speed for a fast recovery!

Josh Bowman
09-19-2011, 6:19 AM
Jim,
Thanks for sharing this. I hope you recover quickly.

Steve Schlumpf
09-19-2011, 7:38 AM
Glad it wasn't worse! Thanks for sharing! Hope you heal quickly and completely!

David E Keller
09-19-2011, 8:05 AM
Get well soon!

Sid Matheny
09-19-2011, 9:16 AM
Thanks for making us remember how easy it is to get hurt. I too am very bad about not unplugging things when I should.

Sid

Bernie Weishapl
09-19-2011, 9:43 AM
Heal quickly. Thanks for sharing and reminder.

Jamie Donaldson
09-19-2011, 11:45 AM
Another reason I don't like foot controls. I retired mine, and replaced it with a more convenient and safer tabletop control that I don't loose in shavings or accidentally touch with my foot.

Craig Matheny
09-19-2011, 12:25 PM
Thanks for sharing but most of all thank God for a small injury.

Bill White
09-19-2011, 2:20 PM
Reminds me of the time I saw the shop steward runnin' across the shop. Some nut had left the chuck wrench in the BIG metal lathe after removing a workpiece. He chomped on the dummy's a$$ for a while. He also asked him if he had ever seen what shrapnel can damage.
Good point, and well made.
Bill

charlie knighton
09-19-2011, 5:00 PM
Jim heal quickly

Jim Leslie
09-19-2011, 7:37 PM
I was out looking at replacing mine today. The variable speed one has an OFF switch so that would help. Plus I usually run it full bore anyway, so variable speed is not much of an issue to me.
My hand is getting better by the day and though still very tender and stiff, the cuts are healing nicely. I sure don't want to do anything like that again!

ray hampton
09-19-2011, 8:08 PM
I was out looking at replacing mine today. The variable speed one has an OFF switch so that would help. Plus I usually run it full bore anyway, so variable speed is not much of an issue to me.
My hand is getting better by the day and though still very tender and stiff, the cuts are healing nicely. I sure don't want to do anything like that again!

How are you going to make a movie about your accident if you do not go thru. the whole mess again , GET WELL QUICK

Jim Leslie
09-20-2011, 12:57 AM
Once was *more* than enough! :)
It's getting better fast now though..