PDA

View Full Version : Curly Maple Plate

Kathy Marshall
09-18-2011, 11:30 PM
I've been wanting to try another plate or platter and Rocklers had their dry curly maple blanks on sale, so I picked one up and this is the result.

9 1/4" x 1 1/4", the rim was dyed with Rit dye, black first then sanded back then royal blue. Just a coat of BLO so far. This one is better than my last and I'm happy with it, but I still need to work on form.

Thanks for looking!
Comments and critiques are welcome.

Jon Prouty
09-18-2011, 11:38 PM
Nice platter Kathy... I gotta ask though - with your amazing wood pile, what are you doing buying blanks (even if they are on sale)? If you are bored with your stash, let me know and I'll rent a u-haul and come clean it up for you. :) JP

Kathy Marshall
09-19-2011, 12:21 AM
Nice platter Kathy... I gotta ask though - with your amazing wood pile, what are you doing buying blanks (even if they are on sale)? If you are bored with your stash, let me know and I'll rent a u-haul and come clean it up for you. :) JP
Thanks John!
I wanted to use dry wood for the plate and all my stash is green.
If you need some wood, you're welcome to come out and pick some up.

Jon Prouty
09-19-2011, 12:30 AM
Thanks John!I wanted to use dry wood for the plate and all my stash is green. If you need some wood, you're welcome to come out and pick some up.Gotcha.... If I bring any more wood home before I deal with what I got my wife may kill me. lol.

Thanks for the offer... May take you up on it later once things cool down.

JP

Steve bellinger
09-19-2011, 4:04 AM
Kathy i think that's one sweet piece.

Josh Bowman
09-19-2011, 6:25 AM
Kathy, nice plate. I really like the dye accent.

Dennis Ford
09-19-2011, 7:29 AM
The form looks good to me but the wood is amazing.

John Keeton
09-19-2011, 7:49 AM
Kathy, for me, dry wood is so much more fun - I know I am in the minority there! Nice work on this one, and don't you just love the way curly maple pops when you hit it with the dye? Really finishes out nice, too, so long as the tools are sharp.

Doug W Swanson
09-19-2011, 9:13 AM
I gotta ask though - with your amazing wood pile, what are you doing buying blanks (even if they are on sale)?

I've got a pretty good supply of wood but I will buy wood if I see a nice looking blank. I've turned a few of those maple blanks from Rockler and they are very nice.

Kathy, great job with the platter. The dye really does a nice job of accenting the piece.

Steve Vaughan
09-19-2011, 9:29 AM
I really like the form. That's a very, very nice piece!

Bernie Weishapl
09-19-2011, 9:41 AM
That is really a pretty piece. I do like the form and embellishment.