PDA

View Full Version : LN Hand Tool Event Newport RI

Joe Leigh
09-18-2011, 8:23 PM
This Saturday I traveled 4 hours to attend my first Lie Nielsen hand tool event in Newport Rhode Island. I received my first hand plane, a LN 102 a few months back and decided that a nice smoother was needed as I was already sliding down that slope that so many here have warned about. The mood was very casual and laid back and each attendee was encouraged to try out every tool there. I met a rep named Deneb who spent literally and hour or so with me discussing everything hand plane. This guy was a wealth of info and dispelled quite a few myths concerning the use and sharpening. Needless to say I fell in love with just about every plane I tried and I tried them all...I was determined not to go home empty handed so I settled on a #4 1/2 which they had on site. After discussing which woods I would be working with Deneb suggested a 55deg frog would work best. He was kind enough to take the time to switch out the frog for me right there and even hone the blade so I could take some shavings before leaving. It took us no longer than 5 mins to get a razor sharp edge using a few waterstones, and that included his step by step explanation as others watched. A class act and a first class plane..here are a few pics:

http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q226/lj61673/DSCN2045-1.jpg

http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q226/lj61673/DSCN2046.jpg

Hats off to Deneb and Lie Nielsen who went above and beyond to ensure that their customers are familiar with their tools as well as happy with their purchase.

This will not be my last LN purchase or my last hand tool event...already saving my pennies for that sweet bronze #3 and that #62 bevel up...and....and......

Bob Warfield
09-19-2011, 5:16 PM
Way to go Joe! I too love the tool events and always seem to find tools I just can't live without. If you really want to take a ride down the slope you ought to try to make it to WIA. You would ABSOLUTELY be like a kid in a candy store.

Thanks...Bob

Ed Griner
09-20-2011, 11:20 AM
Made in America! Way to go. Ed

Don McManus
09-21-2011, 2:42 AM
Out of curiosity, are any discounts or price breaks at the hand tool events, versus the website prices? (I just got a postcard in yesterday's mail for one of these events near me coming up in Oct. )

Jim Falsetti
09-21-2011, 6:32 AM
Don,

The LN hand tool events I have been to offered free shipping.

Jim

Joe Leigh
09-21-2011, 6:53 AM
Out of curiosity, are any discounts or price breaks at the hand tool events, versus the website prices? (I just got a postcard in yesterday's mail for one of these events near me coming up in Oct. )

No price discounts at the show I attended. Something else I noticed, they only bring a few items with them to sell. I would have thought they could sell a lot of tools at events like this but for some reason they only had about two dozen pieces total for sale.

They did however bring their new workbench. It was rock solid and beautifully made, with a 4" hard maple top. If you're looking at commercially made benches this one will be hard to beat for the price.

Ron Conlon
09-21-2011, 8:22 AM
No price discounts at the show I attended. Something else I noticed, they only bring a few items with them to sell. I would have thought they could sell a lot of tools at events like this but for some reason they only had about two dozen pieces total for sale.

They did however bring their new workbench. It was rock solid and beautifully made, with a 4" hard maple top. If you're looking at commercially made benches this one will be hard to beat for the price.

At the ones I've been to they were stocked better than that. That was a while ago, though, so maybe they changed things up. As to discounts, it is usually getting a free item like a DVD after purchasing a certain threshold, like $300. At the hand tool events they have to charge the local state tax, so you are actually better off placing the order there and having them ship it free. They also give you a certain code to place an order within 30 days of the event and get the free shipping. That works out well if you had to attend the event with your spouse.:eek:

Tony Shea
09-21-2011, 4:11 PM
If you're ever able to check them out here in Maine, they give 10% discount on all their tools. Not sure what the reasoning is but any time you visit their store it's always 10% off their web price. They are one and a half hour drive for me so I am visiting them often.

Bob Warfield
09-21-2011, 4:37 PM
That works out well if you had to attend the event with your spouse.:eek:
How true! :D
Thanks...Bob

gary Zimmel
09-21-2011, 8:14 PM
Great score Joe... The guys at LN are first class.
I find its best to leave my wallet in the truck when I attend those events.....

Jim R Edwards
09-21-2011, 10:03 PM
I have been to two shows and I experienced everything you mentioned. I purchased a dovetail saw at the first show and a #48 at the second show. By any chance did they have their prototype rabbeting bevel up jack plane there?

john davey
09-21-2011, 10:57 PM
I have not been yet but am going to attend the show next month at Hearne Hardwoods in PA. Mostly I am in need of a trip to Hearne and to be honest am a pretty rock solid sold Veritas guy. But given that I know there are going to be some tools that will fit the eye/hand better and the quality would be the same. I am interested to see differences in tools that both companies make. I know both have a few that the other does not produce. I have fondled the Veritas line at a show (and have several) and look forward to doing the same at this one. Also could see a 14" tenon saw follow me home but only if there is any $$$ left after the wood purchase :).... John.