PDA

View Full Version : A day at the Artisan Center...

John Keeton
09-18-2011, 4:06 PM
Today was the reception for the exhibit - "An Artful Array: Bowls by Kentucky Artisans" - at the Kentucky Artisan Center at Berea KY. I posted previously that I had been accepted into the exhibit, along with several artisans, including fellow creeker, good friend, and fellow club member, Jamie Donaldson. It was a very nice event, well attended, and well done by the folks on staff at the Center. Thought I would share some pics with the creek.

This pic was taken prior to the reception. The Artisan Center is a very well done facility, with a large inventory representing approximately 600 Kentucky artists. What you see here is just the bowl exhibit, and is only a very small area of the Center.

This is the permanent exhibit of the work of Rude Osolnik - Berea's woodturning legend -

This is Jamie's beautiful curly maple square bowl - a style for which he is well known -

And, Jamie during the presentations -

Some of you may recall, the first bowl I submitted sold the first couple of days, and I was asked to submit a replacement. I don't turn many bowls, but I took over a couple I had on hand, and feverishly turned a couple more - both of which were posted here (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?172303-A-Couple-of-Bowls-and-a-Vase&highlight=). They wanted the redwood burl bowl, so I took it over a few minutes prior to the event, and it sold before the reception started!!! Fortunately, I did get some pics before it sold. The Center still had the other two I had taken over, so there is still some work on exhibit.

The redwood burl bowl is on the right in this pic -

and, a catalpa bowl of mine is in the middle of this pic -

Ms. Keeton took her point and shoot camera. I set it for flash for some pics, but I am not very familiar with her camera. I am not sure what happened to the settings, but the pic of me was really dark. I tweaked it all I could to get what you see - sorry! But, the less you see of me, the better - so maybe it was fortuitous!

And, this is what 7,000 lbs of assorted burls look like - all in one trailer!!! These were on their way to Michigan.

Jon Nuckles
09-18-2011, 4:17 PM
John,

Thanks for the event coverage and congratulations on the quick sales. It is probably a good thing you didn't post the route the trailer is taking to Michigan or some of our creekers might be tempted to become highwaymen!

Roger Chandler
09-18-2011, 4:30 PM
Congratulations John..........very nice honor you were afforded...........of course your work speaks of itself, and is well deserved.

Bernie Weishapl
09-18-2011, 4:32 PM
Congrats John. Well deserved for sure. Thanks for sharing the pictures.

David DeCristoforo
09-18-2011, 4:35 PM
That's a wonderful setting. The work is beautifully displayed. Your pieces look great. And that Jamie guy looks right at home at the podium!

charlie knighton
09-18-2011, 4:47 PM
congratulations John, the artisan center is quite nice venue, now kentucky to michagan, do not put a tarp over it

Steve Schlumpf
09-18-2011, 5:04 PM
John - Congrats on your sale!! Will keep my fingers crossed that you get a phone call real soon asking for more!!

This is the best I could do working with the photo you posted...

Marc Himes
09-18-2011, 6:57 PM
Congratulations on your sales and the recognitions of your excellent work John. The Artisan's center looks like a very nice gallery. Now where in Michigan are those burls going? Oops, I forgot, I already have enough wood.

Harry Robinette
09-18-2011, 7:00 PM
Congrats John beautiful work as always: and differentially well deserved.

Greg Just
09-18-2011, 7:20 PM
Nice job John. Your work is always first class.

Curt Fuller
09-18-2011, 8:02 PM
Thanks for the posting pictures of the event. It looks like a great gallery and I'm sure you're honored to be a part of the exhibit.

Baxter Smith
09-18-2011, 9:08 PM
Very intersting pictures! Thanks for sharing. Congrats on the sales in a nice looking gallery!

John Keeton
09-18-2011, 9:35 PM
Thanks, guys - it was a neat day. Lot of great artists there, and it was humbling to be among them. I don't feel that I have quite "paid my dues" yet.

The Artisan Center is a great asset to KY, and if you get the chance to stop by, it would be worth the effort.

Tom Winship
09-18-2011, 9:51 PM
Congrats, John. You deserve everything they bestowed on you.
I was looking at Mapquest to see where Berea was and loved some of the surrounding communities; Drip Rock and Paint Lick. Sounds like some Texas towns.
I assume the trailer load of burl was the neighbor's tree you staked out yesterday?
Again, Congratulations!

Bob Bergstrom
09-18-2011, 10:27 PM
Congrats from here too. I visited the Center a couple of years ago, great place. I gotta ask why someone in Michigan needed all those burls, like Michigan doesn't have any trees?? Now Illinois, we can always use some more burls. We can trade you some nice corn stalks.

Michelle Rich
09-19-2011, 4:25 AM
Congrats!!!

Josh Bowman
09-19-2011, 6:24 AM
Great job John. Congratulations on the sale.

Tim Rinehart
09-19-2011, 6:41 AM
Thanks, guys - it was a neat day. Lot of great artists there, and it was humbling to be among them. I don't feel that I have quite "paid my dues" yet.

The Artisan Center is a great asset to KY, and if you get the chance to stop by, it would be worth the effort.
John, my wife and I drove up that way a month or so ago, and we did stop in the Artisan Center. Admittedly, I kept looking to see if some of your items had made their way yet, I guess I was a bit early. It was great seeing the display of Rude's as well as other locals like Jamie D and Chris R with items there. If I've left anyone else out...apologies.

Very well stocked and displayed items there. I would also recommend anyone going along I-75 to stop there, it's worth an hour (minimum) stop to browse all the work.

The other similar venue if you happen to be traveling near Asheville, NC along Blue Ridge is the Folk Art Center. I'll have to pay my dues and see what I can do someday to get some of my work there!

Congrats on success with sales and just the honor of being asked to be included in the Artisan Center!

Dick Wilson
09-19-2011, 9:23 AM
Hey John, Congrats on being accepted into this event and on the sales!!!!!! Thanks for posting the pics. Now I know what Jamie looks like......he won't be able to sneak up on me in Ohio:D Very impressive trailer. If it is headed for Michigan I presume I should keep an eye out the window ;);)

Scott Hackler
09-19-2011, 10:24 AM
Congrats on your inclusion and the sales from that, John. It's no surprize that your pieces wouls sell fast.

Jamie Donaldson
09-19-2011, 11:42 AM
That trailer load of burls was going from Chris Ramsey in KY to his twin bro David in MI, and we missed a good chance for a highjacking in the parking lot, but I wasn't driving my truck! Chris and David were both at the event, and that was the first time I had seen them side by side, and they really are twins, and both verrrrrrrrrry talented turners.

J.D.Redwine
09-19-2011, 1:59 PM
Stopped by the Artisan Center today it was an impressive display. Nice to see some of your work.

Ed Morgano
09-19-2011, 4:54 PM
Congratulations John. I really wish I could have been there. It's good to sell your work "hot off the press" so to speak. That had to make you feel really good.

John Keeton
09-19-2011, 5:24 PM
Glad some of you all have been able to visit the Center! J.D., the two pieces I have there now were never intended for exhibition or sale, but they happen to be the only recent bowls I have remaining in my possession other than the Ambrosia maple burl bowl with all the voids. For some reason, the Center did not feel it "fit" in a bowl exhibit! I guess the old adage about not holding soup has some merit!! When I submitted pics for inclusion in the exhibit, I failed to consider that it was going to last several months. My "inventory" of bowls is nearly non-existent.

Ed, wish you could have been there, too! Hope you are feeling better.