PDA

View Full Version : Cutting card scraper/saw blades help?

Tony Shea
09-18-2011, 3:55 PM
I have decided to try my hand at making profiles such as small beads using scratch stock. I am going to try and make a small bead for a project my girlfriend is working on. I saw a nice tutorial on using scratch stock for this and a nice little holder for the blade. I would love to see other people's holder's or beading tools as well.

My problem lies in cutting a small square peice of card scraper stock or a peice off an old saw. What is the best method in cutting some spring steel without losing its' temper and getting a nice flat square peice. Sorry if this question has been asked and seems noobish but this scratch stock business is completely new to me.

john brenton
09-18-2011, 4:22 PM
I made mine from an old panel gauge/scribe. I just cut a kerf and it fits tight, but the screw really cinches it in. I have about six profiles and cut the blanks with tin snips from an old Disston. The profile shown needs some work.

Tony Shea
09-18-2011, 6:24 PM
So tin snips will cut through the stock without too much trouble and without bending the peice? I also thought about a dremel tool with a cutting disc.

Dale Cruea
09-18-2011, 6:31 PM
I use a Dremel tool and a cutoff wheel. I never thought about trying tin snips.
Fine Woodworking had an article in their August edition about scratch stock.
That is what got me started.

Dominic Greco
09-18-2011, 8:23 PM
If it's thick spring steel, I score it with a Dremel
http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z287/DominicGreco/scribingtheline1.jpg

and then hold the work piece in a vise right at the cut line. While wearing heavy leather gloves I just snap it off.
http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z287/DominicGreco/snappingthecut4.jpg

john brenton
09-18-2011, 8:50 PM
I've used snips to cut a web for a few bow saws and never had a problem with it. A piece for scratch is small and there isn't much to it. The steel is so soft that flattening it would not be a problem even if it did matter.

Tri Hoang
09-18-2011, 9:41 PM
I use my old 3/4" band saw blade for beading & cut it up with a sheet metal shear. Scraper steel may be a little thicker but I don't think that would be an issue.

Bill White
09-19-2011, 2:04 PM
Score and snap. Just use the gloves to protect the paws.
When grinding, keep the workpiece cool so as not to waste the temper.
Bill

Zach England
09-20-2011, 9:10 AM
When I had to make some beading profiles I used a drill press to make the rounded parts. I just had to find a bit the appropriate diameter.

Trevor Walsh
09-21-2011, 12:39 AM
We have a sheet metal shear at work, I love it for this, clean edges and very easy for repeat cuts. Is there a trade school or a shop nearby that could cut some for you?

Derek Cohen
09-21-2011, 12:59 AM
I use my old 3/4" band saw blade for beading & cut it up with a sheet metal shear. Scraper steel may be a little thicker but I don't think that would be an issue.

Hi Tony

This is the answer I would have given you as well. For beading I cut up an old 3/4" bandsaw blade. This size is very useful - it also fits perfectly into most beaders, including the Stanley/LN.

Regards from Perth

Derek