PDA

View Full Version : Walnut & Plywood ornaments

Curt Fuller
09-18-2011, 1:37 PM
A couple of Christmas ornaments from walnut with some thin birch plywood laminated in there. They're about 5.5" long, 1.75" diameter. The one with the darker plywood was stained with some walnut colored danish oil, the other is just the natural color of the plywood.

James Combs
09-18-2011, 1:54 PM
I like them a lot. They also remind be that Christmas is coming in a few months and I need to get started on some similar items
BTW are they hollow?

charlie knighton
09-18-2011, 2:41 PM
very nice, that time of year

John Keeton
09-18-2011, 4:13 PM
Now, that is just way too cool!! Great idea, Curt - and, a nice job on the turning, too.

Bernie Weishapl
09-18-2011, 4:24 PM
Those are nice Curt. I like the design in those.

Steve Schlumpf
09-18-2011, 6:19 PM
Curt - beautiful work... as always! I like both of these but really prefer the version with the natural color to the plywood!

Also - I have your Christmas ornament and natural edge bell displayed on our mantel. Whenever we have company... which is rare... they always gravitate towards your turnings! I am proud to let them know that it was my friend Curt Fuller who turned these.... and as far as I am concerned, it just don't get any better than that!!

Michael Short
09-18-2011, 6:27 PM
Neat idea Curt. I like the accents of the plywood.

Marc Himes
09-18-2011, 6:29 PM
Those are really nice ornaments, Curt. I like the way the laminated plywood works with the walnut. I have been meaning to get started on some ornaments myself as the Holidays will be here before we know it. Well done!

Marc

Harry Robinette
09-18-2011, 6:42 PM
Curt
Beautiful,just totally beautiful. I love the plain plywood one great work as always.

Baxter Smith
09-18-2011, 9:19 PM
Very nice. Another vote for the plain for the added contrast.

David E Keller
09-18-2011, 9:54 PM
Beautiful work, Curt! You make some of the nicest ornaments around!

Bill White
09-19-2011, 2:24 PM
I will send you my address so's you can send those old things to me. I'll need them by Christmas for sure.
Bill

Ron Bontz
09-19-2011, 3:09 PM
Oh. I like those. I think I will reverse the color scheme so as not to copy yours.:D Maybe.

Doug W Swanson
09-19-2011, 3:27 PM
These are really neat! Great contrast with the chosen woods and the form is great, too.

Any chance on getting a quick tutorial on how they were pieced together? I'm not looking to copy them:) but just trying to give me some new ideas for my own ornaments!

Ed Morgano
09-19-2011, 4:43 PM
Curt,
I would say that great minds think alike, but no one has ever accused me of having a great mind. I started mine about 2 weeks ago. Here are a few picturs. Mine are about 2 1/2" diameter and hollowed. I hope this isn't hijacking. Your orniments are beautiful. I was thinking of trying to do some sort of lamination/segmenting and yours have given me some ideas. Thanks for sharing.

Scott Hackler
09-19-2011, 5:00 PM
Nice ornaments Curt. And thanks for the reminder that it's ornament season again. So much for the other projects!

Donny Lawson
09-19-2011, 5:43 PM
All are very nice. I just wish I had time to start something like that.

Curt Fuller
09-19-2011, 7:38 PM
Thanks everyone!

These are really neat! Great contrast with the chosen woods and the form is great, too.

Any chance on getting a quick tutorial on how they were pieced together? I'm not looking to copy them:) but just trying to give me some new ideas for my own ornaments!

Doug, you can trust me that if it's not simple I can't do it. These are just two strips of walnut 1" wide by 1/2" thick. I glued a 1" wide strip of 1/8" birch plywood between them. Then after the glue dries I cut them on a 45 degree angle on a power miter saw. If you get the angle just right you can glue them right up. But I'm usually just a hair off so I glue 2 pieces together to make 2 halves, sand the inside surface of each half to get them straight and then glue the two halves together. You end up with a square that I hold in the jaws of my chuck to round them off and drill and hollow the inside. Then I mount them between two cone shaped bushings on a pen mandrel to turn the outside shape. Here's a link to turning the ornaments, a little different style, but basically the same process.
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?98860-Quickie-Ornament-Instructions

(http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?98860-Quickie-Ornament-Instructions)

Seth Poorman
09-20-2011, 9:46 AM
Vary nice Curt !!!!! Thats the nice thing about turning wood it just never gets boring!!!

Michelle Rich
09-20-2011, 12:04 PM
very attractive decorations

Jim Kountz
09-20-2011, 3:26 PM
Ya know Curt every year I look forward to seeing what kind of ornaments you will turn out, these are great as always!!

Dan Cannon
09-20-2011, 4:18 PM
I'm really looking forward to turning ornaments this year, and always look forward to seeing the ornaments you (and several others) make. My biggest challenge is NOT to copy yours, because they're always so appealing and tend to stick in my head! Thanks for sharing...I promise, if I do subconsciously copy, they won't be nearly as nice.
Dan