PDA

View Full Version : Church Pew Pens

Billy Tallant
09-18-2011, 4:03 AM
I just finished this group of pens for my Dad. He is planning on giving them to some of the men in the Church of Christ that he attends. They had to widen the aisles for wheelchair access. So the only option they had was to shorten the church pews. So I ended up with some of the left over end pieces. I was excited at first thinking this is an old church & the church pews will be made out of some old hardwood. Well the wood looked like it had been laminated together. It worked out ok, but I really had to keep the skew sharp & take light cuts only. Even used a little CA as a hardener to make sure everything stayed together. Finish was 2 medium coats of CA with mm to 12k, then an additional 2 medium coats of CA. Finally polish the last coat with HUT ultra polish & coat of ren wax.

Josh Bowman
09-18-2011, 7:30 AM
Billy, he'll really like those, really nice grain.

Greg Just
09-18-2011, 8:14 AM
Those are nice looking pens and I'm sure the gentlemen from the church will really appreciate the origin of the wood. Nice thought on your part to preserve some history.

Steve Vaughan
09-18-2011, 8:25 AM
Billy, those are great looking! And to make them out of a church pew is way cool. I'm thinking lots more folks are gonna want one of those. I love the thought of recycling wood!

Jim Burr
09-18-2011, 8:44 AM
Great way to recycle Billy...and a really cool idea!

Bernie Weishapl
09-18-2011, 10:22 AM
Those are cool Billy. He is going to love those.

Donny Lawson
09-18-2011, 11:28 AM
Looks good. Even the older pews were most likely plywood unless you can get some of the end pieces like the arm rest part. Great save.

James Combs
09-18-2011, 2:00 PM
A really great recycle project. I really like the consistency in the shape. That is one of my hardest things to do if I want a group of pens to look alike. BTW when I first read the title I though maybe you had made pens "for" the church pews. :-)