PDA

View Full Version : Shop Fox W1752 "?"

Harold Hanson
09-17-2011, 10:47 PM
Hello, I’m thinking about ordering the Shop Fox W1752 Mini Wood Lathe, I have been reading threads posts in the turners forum about others asking what type of chucks to buy and what not, they are saying that the spindle taper is MT#1 and the tailstock taper is also MT#1. I downloaded the Owner’s Manual for the W1752, here is a copy of part of the Main Specifications, I am confused, which is it? MT#1 or is it MT#2.
I would like to now before I order this thing, Thank you for any help with this.
Harold

Main Specifications
Swing Over Bed .................................................. ............................................... 10"
Swing Over Tool Rest .................................................. ..................................... 7
1/2"
Distance Between Centers .................................................. ............................... 15"
Spindle Size .................................................. .........................................7
51/64" x 17/8"
Spindle TPI .................................................. ............................................ 1" x 8 TPI
Outboard Spindle Size .................................................. ....................................... 1"
Spindle Bore .................................................. .................................................. .
23/64"
Spindle Taper .................................................. ............................................... MT#2
Tailstock Taper .................................................. ............................................. MT#2
Tailstock Center .................................................. ................................... ………….5"
Number of Spindle Speeds .................................................. .................................. 6
Range of Spindle Speeds .........................480, 1270, 1960, 2730, 3327, 4023 RPM
Bed Width .................................................. .................................................. ...8 3/16”
Faceplate Size .................................................. .................................... …………..3"
Bed Construction .................................................. ......................................Cast Iron
Frame Construction .................................................. ..................Cast Iron and Steel
Headstock Construction .................................................. ...........Cast Iron and Steel
Tailstock Construction .................................................. ..............Cast Iron and Steel

Bernie Weishapl
09-17-2011, 11:50 PM
Harold welcome to SMC. I looked at several sites and from what I read it has a 1 X 8 spindle and MT #2 on both the tailstock and headstock. I would talk to the company when you go to place your order and ask but from what I see it is a #2.

John Keeton
09-18-2011, 7:50 AM
Harold, seems clear that both are MT#2 - from your posted specs -

Spindle Taper .................................................. ............................................... MT#2
Tailstock Taper .................................................. ............................................. MT#2

But, your question is to which chuck to buy, and the spindle taper or tailstock taper will not effect that choice - just the size and thread of the spindle, which is 1" x 8tpi.

Harold Hanson
09-18-2011, 11:25 AM
Thank you Bernie and John, I was thinking maybe the manual had some typos in it.
Harold

Donny Lawson
09-18-2011, 11:31 AM
Have you considered the Turncrafter lathe from PSI? I have a friend that has this lathe and he loves it. I think it would be a better quality and probally about the same price. Just my 2 cents worth.

James Combs
09-18-2011, 2:44 PM
That's a nice looking machine but if you haven't ordered yet you may want to consider one with VS(variable speed). The minimum speed on your specs is a little high for sanding and finishing on the lathe. I have a Grizzly G0658 (http://grizzly.com/products/12-x-20-Heavy-Duty-Bench-Top-Wood-Lathe/G0658) which I love. It sits right beside my Jet 1642. Both have VS and I wouldn't have it any other way. The Delta 46-460 is another great little lathe and it has VS plus reverse and I believe it is 1hp. BTW I don't see the HP rating of the motor on this Shop Fox. You probably don't want to consider anything less the 3/4hp even in the midi size lathes. Keep us informed of your final selection. What ever it is I am sure someone on here owns it and can give you some great pointers on it.

Paul Singer
09-18-2011, 4:58 PM
I have a ShopFox 1752. I bought it and turned for about 6 months on it and the vortex sucked me in and I bought a jet 1642. I have not used the ShopFox since. The variable speed is so nice I do not even want to try anything on the ShopFox anymore. I highly recommend finding a variable speed lathe no matter what the size. The ShopFox is a nice lathe and I would probably still use it for small things if it had the variable speed.