PDA

View Full Version : What is the Proper Protocol

Jim Koepke
09-17-2011, 2:22 PM
My son and I share our birthday.

I have already called him to wish him a happy birthday.

Is there a protocol in such a situation as to who should call the other?

Just curious what Miss Manners might say about such situations.

jtk

Brian Kent
09-17-2011, 2:47 PM
Miss Manners will give some standard of perfection that has little to do with the way most guys actually think.

You are the one who thought about it, so you were the one who called.

Manners Dude says, "Way to go. That was righteous. Way to be a dad!"

I have gotten so many late in the day phone calls from my mom, reminding me it was my dad's birthday, and that he needed a call.

So as for your son calling you, if he does, that is awesome. If not, depending on your humor together, either remind him with a jab to the shoulder or never mention it. Or if you both drink beer, hand him one, say "Happy Birthday" and then hand him another beer and say, "Now give me this one for my birthday." The trick is to let him know what you would like him to do, while totally letting him off the hook for not thinking of it himself.

Manners Dude

Oh wait, hey! Happy Birthday! Same to your son too.
My son was born 4 hours before my birthday. I asked my wife to wait, but she didn't think that was a very good idea.

Chris Damm
09-18-2011, 7:56 AM
I share a birthday with my son, too. We're lucky if anyone (other than each other) remembers before mid afternoon that it is our birthday. I guess they're busy with their own Christmas presents!

Brian Kent
09-18-2011, 10:40 AM
That's a tough one, Chris. Here, I'll give you a tie and we'll call it a birthday / Christmas gift!

John Pratt
09-19-2011, 9:46 AM
I am horrible with dates like birthdays and such. I have a hard enough time remembering my own. I couldn't tell you with any accuracy when my fathers , mothers, or brothers and sisters Birthday are, although my sisters is the same as mine. I do remember my wife's because it is one of my phone reminders. In our family it is more important for the parents to remember the kids birthdays and the kids remember Father's day and Mother's day.

Prashun Patel
09-19-2011, 9:52 AM
I'm not in the same situation, but I am both a father and a son. As a father, I think it's your job to call first. And as a son, I think it's your son's job to call first.

Jeff Monson
09-19-2011, 9:56 AM
I'm not in the same situation, but I am both a father and a son. As a father, I think it's your job to call first. And as a son, I think it's your son's job to call first.

I'll agree with Prahsun, I'd feel 1st obligated on either side.

Rod Sheridan
09-19-2011, 10:07 AM
As a father I never miss the opportunity to wake up my children with an early morning, sunny, HAPPY BIRTHDAY phone call.

It's part of the payback for all those years of being a father........LOL............Rod.