PDA

View Full Version : Micro thin kerf 10" AP Blade

Craig D Peltier
09-17-2011, 12:14 PM
Does anyone own this blade and can vouch for its supposed wonders. I only saw this in a WW trade magazine, I know nothing about the company.

http://www.totalsawsolutions.com/

scott spencer
09-18-2011, 5:32 AM
IIRC, Joe Grout bought one, liked it, but not any better than his WWII so he sent it back. It's hard to justify at the going price. Tenryu offers some 0.079" Ultra TK's for much less, there are many decent 7-1/4" circular saws blades that are about the same thickness that cost 1/10th as much, and there's always the option of a BS.

Bill White
09-18-2011, 12:36 PM
It's kinda like all the ultra special stuff available today. Spend your way to better workmanship........
I have never understood why we need to measure/cut/sharpen to the nearest .000005" when the old masters created works that are worthy of admiration while using story sticks, handsaws, hammers, etc. It is wood, and wood moves a bunch forever.
Just my thoughts.
Bill

Peter Quinn
09-18-2011, 3:54 PM
Haven't tried it and won't at that price. Perhaps if I were cutting 100'000 BF of lumber per day the extra .030" would add up, but at present I would rather have more $$$ in my pocket and waste a bit more in saw kerfs.I'm using a freud TK glue line rip blade that gives an awfully good performance for a fraction of that blades cost. I'm not sure who all these craftsmen are out there searching for a higher quality cut to improve their work (as described in that blades promo literature), but the ones I know are too busy working to spend any time searching for anything except more clients. Smells like a gimic to me.

ed vitanovec
09-18-2011, 11:16 PM
I have talked to the owners, they are twin brothers. I think the blade is a good blade but for me the draw back was how thin they are. They told me in order to sell the blade through Rockler they needed a matching splitter. Well I use a sliding table saw and their .062 thick splitter would not mount on my table saw, this would mean I would need to use the saw without the riving knife and guard......not going to do that. One thing I may do is send them one of my favorite blades and they will true it up with their mammering process and then sharpen the teeth.

Regards!
Ed

Craig D Peltier
09-20-2011, 4:14 PM
Thanks Ed for the info. I was thinking if it got jammed or pinched in wood without a splitter it would be easy to tweak.

I have talked to the owners, they are twin brothers. I think the blade is a good blade but for me the draw back was how thin they are. They told me in order to sell the blade through Rockler they needed a matching splitter. Well I use a sliding table saw and their .062 thick splitter would not mount on my table saw, this would mean I would need to use the saw without the riving knife and guard......not going to do that. One thing I may do is send them one of my favorite blades and they will true it up with their mammering process and then sharpen the teeth.

Regards!
Ed