PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly G0623x & dado/non through cuts

Matt Mackinnon
09-16-2011, 5:04 PM
I has asked in another thread about a sliding table saw, and was recommended that I take a look at the G0623X saw by Grizzly. The saw looks to do just about everything that I want except that on page 36 of the manual, it says that this saw is not capable of doing non through cuts such as Dado & Rabbet cuts.

This it interesting as the smaller brother to this saw (G0700) that doesn't come with the added swing out arm can make non through cuts (page 30) It's hard to tell if they have a different shaped riving knife, but the mount blocks for the two look identical.

I am wondering if anyone who own's a G0623X has ever done a non through cut, or if there is some technical issue that prevents it? I am looking to replace an older cabinet saw, but one of my requirements is to make Dado cuts as I use it for making boxes and puzzles.

Thanks for any feedback.

Matt.

( I did take a look at the Hammer K3 Winner, and it's a beautiful machine, but at over 2 times the cost, it's hard to justify unless it's just I can't do it with the G0623X)

Mark Engel
09-16-2011, 6:55 PM
I have the G0623X. There is no problem doing non-through cuts with this saw. The manual for the G0623X is (IMHO) a cut and paste from manuals for Grizzly's other sliding table saws.

I have used my G0623X with a dado stack and have also used it to cut 1/8" and 1/4" kerfs using a combo blade.

FYI. Lee Styron now has a Shark Guard designed specifically for the G0623X.

I looked at the Hammer K3 a lot before I got the G0623X, both new and used. The Grizzly is a great saw for the money. IMHO

Mark Engel
09-16-2011, 7:05 PM
Matt, do a search here on G0623 and you will find some other posts related to that TS.

And maybe take a look through this thread:
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?169462-Grizzly-G0623X-assembly-Part-1&highlight=

Ralph Butts
09-16-2011, 9:02 PM
Matt I read the same passage within the manual before I made my purchase. Ironically the Grizz 2011 catalog clearly states that the saw will cut "dados too". I did however contact tech support to confirm the manual error. Mark is correct, there are no issues with non-through cuts on the 623x

ed vitanovec
09-16-2011, 11:19 PM
Yes this saw will accept an 8"dado blade with full width, that was my selling point in buying this saw. I've had mine for 2-1/2 years and have been really happy with it. I recently replaced the cheap blade guard with a shark guard and the guard is really nice. I would recommend this saw, in my opinion its the best bang for the buck in sliding table saws.

Regards!
Ed

Rod Sheridan
09-17-2011, 11:31 AM
The issue is that the saw won't perform non through cuts safely because of either riving knife height or the lack of a guard that can be used for non through cuts.

That's why the manual tells you not to do it, not because you can't, it's because you can't safely without a different guard and/or riving knife.........Regards, Rod.

P.S. The manual for my Hammer B3 Winner makes the same statements unless you have a different guard.

Matt Mackinnon
09-18-2011, 7:35 AM
Thankyou everyone for the responses. I got the feeling that they was a slight difference between the riving knife. I took a look on Lee Styron's site for more info on this guard.

I took a look on the linked thread re:Grizzly-G0623X-assembly-Part-1 and it answered many other questions that I didn't know to ask. I am now feeling more confident in making a choice with what direction to go. I'm glad to see that I can convert my Incra 1000se to work with this saw. I am so use to using it, and have jigs setup.

Matt.