PDA

View Full Version : Veneer backer required on mdf??

Jim Tobias
09-16-2011, 4:47 PM
I know and have always practiced the general rule of always putting a backer veneer on the down side of any veneer projects whether using MDF, BB Ply or other. BUT, I am gluing veneer panels (MDF substrate) into a serving table frame that has a solid piece bottom. This is a "refurb" for a friend and there are 3 pieces to the top (main center panel and then 2 flip up/down wing panels). The old material in the frame was some kind of stamped stone material and was glued down. My plan is to glue these MDF panels into the frames in the same way. It seems silly to veneer the bottom side and then smear glue on it to glue it down.
Should I be concerned about doing this without a backer veneer???

Jim

larry senen
09-16-2011, 6:00 PM
i would use a backer. unless you feel the size of the panels are small enough for the frame to hold them flat.

but then again, if they're that small why not back them?

HANK METZ
09-17-2011, 9:07 AM
I’ve been veneering MDF and ply for years single- sided only with no ill effects. I know this defies accepted convention that insists a panel will warp or distort without a “balance face, but nonetheless it works. I have a ¾” MDF panel kicking around the shop for over a year now, and it’s just as flat today as when it first came out of the vacuum press last year. I’ve produced a video showing the method on Youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atTLzekpCkM
I have a series there I post as “ Beachside Hank”,.
What you propose to do should be perfect for this approach.

Jim Tobias
09-17-2011, 10:24 AM
Thanks Hank. I assume from your handle (Beachside Hank) that those were ocean waves that I heard in the video? So, if your panels don't warp from humidity, I will take a chance on mine this tiem and see how it works out.
By the way, I will make a point to not become "complacent" on this veneering job!;)
Your video was informative and relaxing all at the same time.

Thanks,
Jim

larry senen
09-17-2011, 6:14 PM
i guess it depends on how confident you are in the glue you use on the stone to mdf.

if you can minimize warping on the mdf, it should make it easier on that bond.

David Kumm
09-17-2011, 10:07 PM
I've read for years about veneering both sides but have to admit that I make wide baseboard by gluing 1/16 or so bandsaw veneer on one side of cheap ply and have never seen a 7" base warp. I'm wondering if cheap ply isn't any more stable than dry hardwood veneer. Not advocating it but not able to explain why it works. Dave

HANK METZ
09-18-2011, 1:32 PM
Thanks Hank. I assume from your handle (Beachside Hank) that those were ocean waves that I heard in the video? So, if your panels don't warp from humidity, I will take a chance on mine this tiem and see how it works out.
By the way, I will make a point to not become "complacent" on this veneering job!;)
Your video was informative and relaxing all at the same time.

Thanks,
Jim

I'm impressed with your aural acuity Jim, why yes, I was only less than a block from the Atlantic when I shot that piece. And complacency, yea, it can really ruin a fellas day. ;)