PDA

View Full Version : The ever revolving bandsaw decision

Dave Lehnert
09-16-2011, 4:23 PM
Like to have a bandsaw for resawing. First looked at the Grizzly 513 then that turned into the the 513X2 now we have the 513X2B and 513X2F. So I go to a woodworking show and look at the Rikon 18" saw. Interested because it is available local. Talked to the sales rep and he said. "Don't get the 18" saw get this new 14" deluxe. 13" resaw why buy a 18". A few weeks ago I was talking to the owner of my local woodworking store about wanting an 18" saw (Like the JET he owns) He said "If I had to do over I would just get the JET 14" deluxe. Gives you all the resaw cap. of the larger saw for less $$$$" $899. So that brings me back full circle. Why not get the Grizzly 14" http://www.grizzly.com/products/The-Ultimate-14-Bandsaw/G0555 with riser kit for under $600?????

Not sure what my question is. Just looking for thoughts on my thinking.

Peter Aeschliman
09-16-2011, 4:47 PM
I have a 14" Jet bandsaw with a riser block and carter guides. I've been resawing 10" walnut without problems. I think the only reason to go up to the 18" saw is the weight. I find my 14" saw a little tipsy, so I've been modifying the base to give it a wider footprint. The dust collection is also pretty bad. You'll have to modify it to get decent dust collection while resawing.

I think the main reason to get the 18" is not the wider capacity, but more because of the weight of the heavier wheels for inertia while resawing. The extra machine weight also makes the machine more stable.

The Jet 14" deluxe bandsaw does have cast iron wheels, but they're still not very heavy duty. I assume it's the same case with the Grizzly 14". So if you want a heavy duty 14" bandsaw, the best one I've see is the Laguna 14" SUV. Really thick, heavy cast iron wheels. It's actually a very beefy machine. But then you're looking at around $1,500... which means you could get yourself that 18" Rikon or a nice big Grizzly.

So what I'm saying is... go with the bigger machines.

Rod Sheridan
09-16-2011, 4:51 PM
Hi Dave, I'm no expert on Grizzly or Rikon equipment however here is what I would look for in a bandsaw

- larger wheel size such as 17" or larger for carbide blades or wider blades

- larger throat capacity of the saw to the left of the blade on 17" or larger saws

- a motor in the 2 HP or larger size

- lower table height of the 17" or larger saws is advantageous when resawing or making turning blanks, or ripping small logs into lumber

I went the 14" saw/riser kit route and eventually replaced it with a 17" General International saw, big improvement over the 14" machine.

I would also look at the Hammer N4400, as well as the Laguna saws.

Regards, Rod.

Mark Ashmeade
09-16-2011, 5:01 PM
For what it's worth, I have a Grizzly 513P, and it's very good value for money. The overall capability for the price is excellent. I would prefer bearing guides rather than the "Euro" guides, I'd prefer a taller fence, I'd prefer heavier wheels, I'd prefer cast trunnions, I'd prefer a brake, and all of a sudden I'd be spending >50% more. In the meantime, it works just fine. I resaw with a 3/4" blade, and it's very functional without being overly expensive. I commonly resaw 4/4 stock into thirds, to make solid drawer bottoms and the like, and it does a great job of that. To be fair, I haven't used the full resaw capability, only up to about 8" tall, but I get the same results as a less wide board. Accurate, even cuts. I'm pleased with it.

Thad McCulloch
09-16-2011, 6:43 PM
I bought the G0513X2F a little over a month ago. Nice unit, comes with both the foot brake as well as the extra power-on keyswitch on the panel (like the G0514x2) and the cast iron wheels, trunnions, better fence, etc. Was thinking about the G0514X2, but I couldn't justify the extra $400 or so for the larger saw (the 513 was $995 when I ordered it). I also figured the 513 has the ability to run on 110 VAC if I ever need to do so (I'm using 220), while the 514 locks you into 220 with no other option. Grizzly had a 10% off coupon available when I ordered; that's expired, but there may still be a 5% one available. Since the 513 will also run 1/8" blades, that's probably as small as I'll ever want on a BS, so it has a pretty versatile range. Good luck on your decision.

jonathan eagle
09-16-2011, 6:56 PM
Dave,
You need to come up with a budget and more clarity about what you need. Is space a factor? What resaw height are you interested in? There is a correlation in blade width and wheel diameter. Wider blade width is important. The laguna 14" suv, which I almost went for, can't run as wide a blade.
I had a 2HP 15" grizzly. Now a Hammer n4400 4hp. Love the increase in power. The Hammer is a great saw and I love it, but having had other Grizzly tools, euro quality is vastly over rated relative to grizzly and others.
Jonathan

Anthony Whitesell
09-16-2011, 9:02 PM
Like to have a bandsaw for resawing. First looked at the Grizzly 513 then that turned into the the 513X2 now we have the 513X2B and 513X2F. So I go to a woodworking show and look at the Rikon 18" saw. Interested because it is available local. Talked to the sales rep and he said. "Don't get the 18" saw get this new 14" deluxe. 13" resaw why buy a 18". A few weeks ago I was talking to the owner of my local woodworking store about wanting an 18" saw (Like the JET he owns) He said "If I had to do over I would just get the JET 14" deluxe. Gives you all the resaw cap. of the larger saw for less $$$$" $899. So that brings me back full circle. Why not get the Grizzly 14" http://www.grizzly.com/products/The-Ultimate-14-Bandsaw/G0555 with riser kit for under $600?????

Not sure what my question is. Just looking for thoughts on my thinking.

Direct answer to your question.
1. HP. G0555 is 1HP, G0555 is 1 1/2HP, 513 is 2HP. I'm all for the more the better.

2. Blades. The 513 with the solid frame can handle wider blades easier than the 555 with the split cast iron frame. I think most would say the maximum blade size listed is one size larger than what the saw can properly tension (3/4" is too big for a 555 but just right on a 513)

I spent a year researching and waiting for a good sale. I opted for the G0513X2. At the time the G0513X2F was not available. I do wish it had some sort of slowing mechanism. Not necessarily a brake that would stop it instantly but something to cut down on the slow down time. It takes soooo long for it to stop. Looking back, I would spend the $100 for the foot brake of the G0513X2F.

Guy Belleman
09-16-2011, 9:41 PM
Not even a comparison. Used a 14", then a larger saw. Got the G0513X2 and is a much better saw. I thought all extras on the Grizzly were just unnecessary niceties, but then I found the tension window and tracking windows very handy when doing those tasks. Then the heavy duty tension wheel and larger table and better fence, just made the saw that much more than a smaller saw. And I never looked back, until perhaps reflecting upon it now. I have the 0513 wired for 110V and cut 10" oak beams, just haven't gotten around to rewiring it back to 220V after having the 220V outlets installed. As mentioned, the 3/4" is just the blade for the 0513.

David Keast
09-17-2011, 6:07 AM
A good big'un beats a good little'un every time. More weight (stability), more power and above all more throat space. I find throat space limits me far more than resaw capacity.

Anthony Whitesell
09-17-2011, 7:55 AM
Oh yeah. I forgot about the additional throat space. I use that 10 times more often as I use the height (6" vs 12")

Frank Drew
09-17-2011, 8:59 AM
I'm with David and Anthony in considering throat depth more important to me than resaw capacity when evaluating a band saw.

david paul miller
09-17-2011, 9:34 AM
1.bigger wheels, more weight=inertia. 2. Longer blades have more time to cool. 3. Larger diameter wheels= Less stress on blades. 4. Can't run a carbide blade on smaller than 17"or 18". 5. As mentioned, bigger throat and table. I'm happy with my 19" GO514X2 Don't make the mistake I did, bought an 8" jointer and wish it was a 12" now trying to sell, (ebay and craigslist)

Victor Robinson
09-17-2011, 2:32 PM
I enjoy using my 14" bandsaw + riser (G0555) for many tasks including resawing, but find the throat depth to be MOST limiting. After that, power for resawing.

Rick Fisher
09-17-2011, 3:29 PM
A good buddy and I recently bought out a bankrupt millwork shop. We sold off most of the machinery but my buddy kept the 2006, Hammer 14" Bandsaw..

I have an SCM-600 24" Bandsaw which is 25ish years old and self restored ..

My friend has used/ borrowed my 24" SCM on several occasions.. It has a 5hp motor and is likely tipping 700lbs. Its an impressive saw for resawing, but I would be disappointed if it where not .. after all, its a 24" saw ..

So he started using the hammer. With its 4hp motor, European guides and sturdy frame, I can tell you that it does the same job as my big bohemith saw .. Today he is resawing some 9-1/2" Parrallam beam for a base.. He texted me laughing.. said the saw, with a 3/4" blade that came with it slices 9-1/2" of Parrallam without even hesitating..

We have a small 14" Taiwanese bandsaw at work.. There is no comparison between the hammer and the Taiwanese saw. The guides alone on the hammer tell the tale.. the motors are from two different worlds. IMO .. I would take that hammer over any 14" or 18" import saw which I have seen, ( perhaps not the new Powermatic) ..

Curt Harms
09-18-2011, 8:56 AM
Looking at bang for the buck, Grizzly's 0513P for $795 sure looks to be near the head of the pack.
http://www.grizzly.com/catalog/2011/SummerFlyer/3
It doesn't have the cast iron trunnions -they're steel- , cast iron wheels or brake. It's also $355 less.

Matt Mackinnon
09-18-2011, 12:11 PM
I don't have any Grizzly tools yet, but I am considering. I have two 17" King bandsaws. The first one is like the 0513P and the second is like the 0513X2. I'd bet they are made in the exact same factory on the exact same line.

There are points that I like about each. The 0513P has the euro guides that you toss out and replace with phenolic cool blocks. They allow for better blade support hands down, and I wish I could put them onto my other bandsaw. The 0513X2 has the cast iron wheels that gives you inertia that helps cut with the big 3/4" or 1" blades.

I have owned a 14" & 15" cast iron 2 piece bandsaw and would never go back. I'd rather own nothing than one of them.

ian maybury
09-18-2011, 9:02 PM
+1 that the Hammer N4400 seems to be another stand out price/performance option....

ed vitanovec
09-18-2011, 11:05 PM
I have the Rikon 2nd generation 18" Bandsaw for 5 years now, I really like it and Rikon's customer service has been great. The 14" Rikon has recieved many favorable reviews. I think the larger Bandsaw will have a better cut, theres more power and the heft of the heavier wheels. I went from a Delta 14" to the Rikon 18" and there was a world of difference. Sometime the Rikon goes on sale in the fall, check out your loca dealers.

Regards!
Ed

Paul Steiner
09-19-2011, 10:03 PM
Great thread, I am in the same boat with bandsaws. I got a delta 14 at lowes for $150 last year. Right now I am considering getting a riser and upgrading the motor for resawing. But when you add up riser, motor, and I also need a fence, I am half way in price from a grizzly 17.