PDA

View Full Version : Small Cherry Burl HF

Paul Heely
09-16-2011, 7:20 AM
I've been on a turning frenzy this past week. I got an email from the local library asking me to apply for their yearly art show in November. Since I had taken a couple of year hiatus from turning I have next to nothing salable left around the house and now have a bench full of stuff waiting to be turned. Luckily I still have some bowl rough outs and some dry turning blanks for my HFs, plus dry odds and ends for ornaments and bottle stoppers. This was a piece of cherry burl that I had been saving until I felt I was ready to do something with it. After my last little HF that I hollowed entirely by hand I got up the confidence to make one from the burl. Ended up with a nice 1/8" wall.

Comments and critiques are welcome. I think the shoulder could have been a little bit higher myself and maybe a little more curve on the bottom.

Species: Cherry burl
Size: 2.5" x 2.5"
Finish: Waterlox, buffed and waxed.

Thanks for looking.
Paul

Steve Schlumpf
09-16-2011, 7:40 AM
Nice looking hollow form Paul! Reminds me of my first one - which actually was accepted into my first ever juried art show!

When it comes to form, remember the curve and that you never want an unintentional flat spot. Also, as a general rule, the foot and opening should not be the same size. As an example, one should be 2/3 the size of the other or close to it. If you roll the edge of the foot slightly, it will give the form a little more lift from the surface that it is sitting on and that does make a difference on the overall form.

Good luck with your turning for the library show! Have fun with it!!

charlie knighton
09-16-2011, 10:19 AM
really nice piece, love cherry burl, well done

Bernie Weishapl
09-16-2011, 11:09 AM
Nice looking piece and the wood is really something.

Bill Bolen
09-16-2011, 2:22 PM
Good looking HF. Watch out for the hf addiction....it is a real sub-vortex!

Tim Rinehart
09-16-2011, 2:26 PM
+1 on that...especially where chunks of burl are involved!! I have a little piece of junk cherry burl as a hf on the lathe now...started a few days ago, haven't had time to get back to it. It's dry...so it will be patient!

Paul Heely
09-16-2011, 4:14 PM

The HF vortex seems to be pulling me in, with prejudice. I'm planning vacations with my wife based on what classes, hollow forms of course, that I can take :D.

Paul

Steve Vaughan
09-16-2011, 6:53 PM
Wow, that's really nice looking. I like the color and the simple shape is just right I think!

Bill Walsh
09-16-2011, 9:23 PM
Very nice Paul, HF's are my favorite!!!! Steve has given you some really good tips.

Baxter Smith
09-16-2011, 10:09 PM
Looks good Paul! Pretty wood.

Jeff Welch
09-17-2011, 3:26 PM
Paul Nice hollow form!

When it comes to form, remember the curve and that you never want an unintentional flat spot. Also, as a general rule, the foot and opening should not be the same size. As an example, one should be 2/3 the size of the other or close to it. If you roll the edge of the foot slightly, it will give the form a little more lift from the surface that it is sitting on and that does make a difference on the overall form.

I'm new at this.

Steve are you saying the opening should be 2/3 the size of the base? or the base 2/3 the size of the opening? or doesn't matter which way?

Are theses general rules written down somewhere?

Thanks,
Jeff