PDA

View Full Version : Maple HF

Paul Heely
09-15-2011, 9:20 PM
This is a maple hollow form that I finished up today. The wood is from the same log as the HF I posted a couple of days ago. Has some nice character to it. Unfortunately I'm down to three more pieces then its all done. This one was hollowed using my Jamieson rig. Wall thickness is about 1/8". Comments and critiques welcome.

Species: Maple
Size: 3.5" x 5"
Finish: Waterlox, buffed and waxed.

Thanks for looking.
Paul

charlie knighton
09-15-2011, 9:22 PM
very nice, Paul, nice form

you may want to vary the form when you have blanks from the same tree/species

Bernie Weishapl
09-15-2011, 9:51 PM
Really nice piece. I agree with Charlie and try different forms.

David E Keller
09-15-2011, 11:04 PM
Nice work, Paul, on a pretty piece of wood. Although opinions on the topic vary, I like to see the very bottom of the form tucked under to give it lift. Looking forward to seeing what you do with the remaining pieces.

Kathy Marshall
09-16-2011, 2:39 AM
Nice hf Paul! Looks like you got a nice maple log too! Looking forward to you next piece.

Paul Heely
09-16-2011, 6:42 AM
very nice, Paul, nice form you may want to vary the form when you have blanks from the same tree/species

Really nice piece. I agree with Charlie and try different forms.
In my inexperience I cut the rest of the log up into bowl blanks right after I got the wood. The shapes of the rest of the pieces form this wood will be a little limited. Mostly short and wide forms like the one I did here, Maple-HF (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?172512-Maple-HF). If I had known better I would have kept the wood in larger chunks.

Nice work, Paul, on a pretty piece of wood. Although opinions on the topic vary, I like to see the very bottom of the form tucked under to give it lift. Looking forward to seeing what you do with the remaining pieces.
I think I understand what tucking the very bottom under means, but can you point me towards an example or two?