PDA

View Full Version : review your own safety practices

charlie knighton
09-15-2011, 9:18 PM
after each horrible accident, i review my safety practices

wear face sheild, check
dust protection, check
lancelot, only use to shape blanks, check
3 legged vessel, make upside down bowl, cut legs with coping saw, smooth up dremel cutter set at low speed, check
outboard turning, done 5 turnings on same mdf, had to more than once move faceplate because too many screw holes in area, no check
use 2 #8 screws thru mdf into blank, then hot glue

i think it is time to cut new mdf mounting board, glue side looks good, faceplate side getting a little holey, object is not how long i can get by using the same mdf, object is not to have an accident

Harry Robinette
09-15-2011, 9:49 PM
Charlie
Everyone should check their safety measures AT LEST ONCE a week. Safety is something thats always there but because of our own, it will only take a minute,it's only one cut,the dust collector is to loud for just a minutes work, we all need to start working SMARTER NOT FASTER.
Just my $.02

Bernie Weishapl
09-15-2011, 9:55 PM
Thanks Charlie. I check safety everyday I walk in the shop. I also won't do any work that has to be rushed. To many accidents happen when we are pushing the envelope so to speak.

Dick Strauss
09-16-2011, 8:48 AM
I never use MDF as a glue board! It will delaminate with very little side force to the object glued.

charlie knighton
09-16-2011, 9:58 AM
mdf recommended by Nick Agar, he has been using it several years, you put 2 #8 screws through the mdf into blank, then hot glue it down, the screws only go in about 3/8, Nick rpm's are much faster than what i use, mainly what i am doing is the spiral which i use Michale Mocho's methods on lathe textural techniques, then i make several cuts from different orientations.

Nick Agar will be at arrowmont this fall, i believe either october or november, not sure which one.

Hilel Salomon
09-16-2011, 10:35 AM
Great thread idea! I have some that could be useful to others. I never work on a lathe or any machinery after an alcoholic drink. Lately, I also stop working when I get fairly tired. The first is self explanatory, but I think that many mistakes are made when one is tired.
Hilel

charlie knighton
09-16-2011, 11:54 AM
i agree with Hidel the alcohol and being tired. i would like to add that shakie feeling. i am diabetic and when i get shakie, i know i need to eat something, i usually snack all day long.

Reed Gray
09-16-2011, 12:06 PM
I would never use MDF as a backing board to screw some thing to. Standard plywood is a LOT stronger, and with grain running through it, more resistant to breaking. You could have a lot of screw holes in the same area, and not loose structural integrity.

Ditto on getting out of the shop when fatigued or under the influence of any drug. At least limit yourself to sanding or clean up. Working around sharp things, you have to be on full alert, or your tools will bite you.

robo hippy

Jim Underwood
09-16-2011, 12:22 PM
I wonder how many of us would have to shut down our personal shops if we were to do a real safety inventory? I'm not sure I want to know the answer to that...

Russell Neyman
09-16-2011, 1:09 PM
I have to admit that I take 'calculated risks' all the time while turning, and probably could be a little safer. It's the little things -- not wearing a mask when I "do a bit of quick sanding" or moving the toolrest "just a bit closer" when the lathe is running -- that I skip. That photo of the throat injury gives me pause to think.

Here are a couple of things to add:
>> Whenever possible, I snug up and engage the tailstock while turning. Can't hurt.
>> I re-tighten the chuck often. Can't hurt.
>> When cutting an arbor, I angle them to match the chuck jaws. Helps a lot.

One other thing is I try to pay attention to woods that are toxic, not that it would scare me away from working with them, but it allows me to to pay much closer attention to where the sawdust goes and breathing it. Personally, I am not sensitive to sawdust, but I have had visitors to my shop who reacted to the dusty air. I have an extensive list in PDF format which cannot be attached to this post but I will be happy to email it to anyone if you send me a note. I expected to see spalted maple and cocobolo on the list, but was surprised to read that black locust and yew were considered dangerous.

One of the best things about this site is it makes us think not only about what we do but how we do it, too. Thanks.

ray hampton
09-16-2011, 1:46 PM
i agree with Hilel the alcohol and being tired. i would like to add that shakie feeling. i am diabetic and when i get shakie, i know i need to eat something, i usually snack all day long.

I am a diabetic also but do not understand what a shakie feeling is
the feeling that I get is a feeling of being too tired or too weak to move and this feeling can hit me QUICK as a bolt of lighting, PEPPERMINT PATTIES are my best friend if this happen in a food store

charlie knighton
09-16-2011, 4:47 PM
Ray, before i started taking medication i was fatigued and got the shakie feeling, now i just get the shakie feeling. i carry glucose tablets if i can not get something to eat, i do not eat candy, but have been told to eat some in emergancy. i have been lucky and not had any emergancies, knock on wood. my diabeties is under controll and the docs are more concerned with a heart attack at the present time.

Reed, i am happy with the mdf that Nick Agar recommended. it has worked well in four of the five outboard turnings i have done. the other i used boards bolted thru the mdf instead of glueing, and it did slip some. Nick did say to not use plywood. the key is the two screws through the mdf into the blank and then hot glueing. as in any turning there is more than one way and tools to do the job and as long as you feel safe, go for it.

Reed Gray
09-16-2011, 4:55 PM
Charlie,
The main thing that I have seen with the MDF is how easily it chips and breaks. It has no grain structure. I would thing that any catch would result in torn screw holes. I never have trusted it. In construction, it is never used for any structural item, only things like moulding and door panels.

robo hippy

ray hampton
09-16-2011, 5:16 PM
Charlie,take care of your heart , I am familiar with the shakes because of being outside in cold weather, is this similar to diabetic shakes ? I keep glucose tablets with me [except when I forget]; when I plan on being in the; store for an long; time, my first wife was a juvenile diabetic and when she had a reaction ,her skin would be cold and crammy, the second wife is stage 2 diabetic; and went into a coma once [ her skin were not not quite as cold ]

ray hampton
09-16-2011, 5:31 PM
Charlie,take care of your heart , I am familiar with the shakes because of being outside in cold weather, is this similar to diabetic shakes ? I keep glucose tablets with me [except when I forget]; when I plan on being in the; store for an long; time, my first wife was a juvenile diabetic and when she had a reaction ,her skin would be cold and crammy, the second wife is stage 2 diabetic; and went into a coma once [ her skin were not not quite as cold ]

THIS POST contains four mistakes that I did not add [&nbsp] can someone explain what -or why the meaning

charlie knighton
09-16-2011, 6:53 PM
At least limit yourself to sanding or clean up

Reed, the good thing about my Kokopelli series is with the spiral being the background of the blank, you do not sand

Ray, when i was attempting to post earlier it was like i was in the twilight zone, i double posted ounce, had to delete one of the post, only thing it was in color and when i use to watch the twilight zone it was in b&w

charlie knighton
09-16-2011, 7:32 PM
At least limit yourself to sanding or clean up

great thing about Kokopelli series is with the spiral in background you do not sand.

THIS POST contains four mistakes thatI did not add [&nbsp] can someone explain what -or why the meaning

Ray, not sure what is going on , it was sorta like i was in the twilight zone, except it was in color and when i use to watch twilight zone it was in b&w

Marty Eargle
09-16-2011, 8:16 PM
Ray the &nbsp code is HTML for a line spacing. I'm not sure why they would have shown up in your post, but it will not hurt anything if you go back and erase them.

ray hampton
09-16-2011, 9:15 PM
Marty, Can you explain how I can erase certain words without deleting the whole post

Marty Eargle
09-16-2011, 9:36 PM
In the bottom right corner of the post in question, you should see an "Edit Post" icon. You can simply click it and it will bring up a box containing that post. You can add/remove/change words as you please and then resubmit it as usual.

ray hampton
09-16-2011, 11:30 PM
In the bottom right corner of the post in question, you should see an "Edit Post" icon. You can simply click it and it will bring up a box containing that post. You can add/remove/change words as you please and then resubmit it as usual.
thanks, the edit are complete , do your keyboard have a special keystroke that will type crossed fingers

Paul Heely
09-17-2011, 7:16 AM
I originally posted these pictures back in 2007, but since we are discussing safety I thought a gentle reminder to always wear eye protection would be acceptable.

This is the result of a dyed and stabilized box elder blank that came apart as I was shaping it. It had already been roughed round and I was just taking a nice cut with the skew when it let go. These were prescription safety glasses.

Paul