PDA

View Full Version : Planer Rollers

John Brennaman
02-24-2005, 11:42 AM
Guys,

I have been experiencing problems with wood not wanting to run through the planer. The blades are sharp, the table is waxed and I'm not trying to take too much off at a time. It seems like the rollers that pull the wood through the planer slip. Can I treat them with anything that will clean them or help them to grip better.

Thanks in advance.

John

"I cut it 3 times and it is still too short!"

Jeff Sudmeier
02-24-2005, 12:12 PM
John,

I have had this problem as well. What I did was to unplug the machine, raise the head all the way and blow out any of the built up sawdust, then I wiped off the rollers with a damp rag... I let them dry fully and they work great! ;)

Mark Berenbrok
02-24-2005, 12:15 PM
I use a Ryobi AP-10 and occasionally have trouble with the feed rate. However, its usually because of dull knives. Try cleaning the rollers with a rag and mineral spirits or alcohol.

Ted Shrader
02-24-2005, 12:22 PM
John -

Ditto what both Jeff and Mark said. Blow it out real well, then clean the rollers with alcohol. Keep waxing the table as you are doing. Works on my Ryobi AP12.

Ted

John Brennaman
02-24-2005, 12:31 PM
I think you guys are right about the wax on the table. I usually wax it then run a ton of wood through without rewaxing. I probably need to take some time out and wax it again once or twice while running large quanities of wood through the planer.

Jerry Bittner
02-24-2005, 12:50 PM
I had the same problem with my Dewalt 12" and called their tech service and there recommendation jells with what you have been advised --- clean the rollers from time to time with mineral spirits was their suggestion.

John Brennaman
02-25-2005, 8:23 PM
Thanks again for all your input. I was concerned about what to clean the rollers with. I didn't want to ruin them.