PDA

View Full Version : Maple Urn

Bill Walsh
09-15-2011, 7:38 PM
This is the maple urn I talked about in my first post. Its approx. 8" tall x 8" wide. The collar is turned from bloodwood then glued into the main body, finial is maple and threads into the collar. The texturing was done using an NSK air tool and the burning was done using a detailmaster unit and a 10A pen. I have about 2.5 hours into the texturing and burning. The outline / boarder was done using a compass, starting in the center of the opening to mark out a 3/4 circle then moving the point about 3/4" and opening the compass up another 1/4". The lines will come together at some point and that will be the outline for the enhancements. The general rule I follow for the basic shape is keeping the height and largest dia. pretty close to the same, the widest dia is located approx. 66% up from the base and the base dia is 27% of the largest dia measurement. The opening is drilled out using a forstner bit (1-3/4") then the collar is turned, threaded and glued in. This is an end grain hollow form, the main reason for turning end grain is the wood doesn't move as much which would tend to put pressure on the collar and tighten the threads up. The opening in the main form is turned in a V shape as well as the collar so if the wood does move its more likely to pop the glue and lift out of the form instead of maybe cracking the main form's opening.
The way I came up with the percentages was from using Creative Woodturner software. By using percentages instead of measurements the basic shape stays the same no matter how big or small the form turns out to be.

I'm hoping the is sized correct!!!! New to this...

John Keeton
09-15-2011, 8:39 PM
Bill, looks like a really neat urn! Your image is 3.6KB, and is only 124x166 pixels. If you can size it at about 1024 x 800+/-, and then compress it at about 65-70%, that should put you close to the 107KB maximum allowed image size.

Also, you can post up to 8 images in a post, and I am sure most of us would love to see some profile images and perhaps some closeup images of your really neat detailing!

Let me know if I can help in any way.

charlie knighton
09-15-2011, 9:31 PM
looks to have some nice detail

Bernie Weishapl
09-15-2011, 9:50 PM
Really nice urn with some good looking detail.

David E Keller
09-15-2011, 11:06 PM
Looks like a neat piece, Bill! I'd love to see some larger photos and additional views if you get a chance... You've got too much work in that one not to show that baby off!