PDA

View Full Version : New tablesaw and fence gloat

Patrick Galpin
09-15-2011, 7:16 PM
:)The new addition containing my dream workshop is continuing to come along nicely and I was finally able to set up my new Sawstop 3 hp Cabinet Pro model with an Incra TS/LS fence. I must comment on the Sawstop owner’s manual and general quality. If you follow the manual, you can't screw up the installation. It has to be the most thorough, easy to follow and understand technical resource I have ever had to use. In addition, the factory set-up was excellent, blade to mitre grove was within .002, mitre gauge to blade was perfect as were the 90 and 45 degree stops. The over-all fit and finish was excellent, no surprises and I am super happy with the unit.

The Incra fence manual was another story. You can definitely complete the install using the manual but they should take note of how Sawstop does it. The difference between the two was like night and day. Having said that, after I completed the rather painful setup, took about 4 hours, I am very happy having completed my first few hours using both units.

The saw is a huge step up for me having graduated from a Craftsman 10" contractor model that is about 20 years old, the power, general quality and capabilities of the new saw are fantastic. Hope I never have to try the safety feature that originally lead me to investigate the unit in the first place. The Incra fence is a joy to use, I still have a lot to learn on it, but I can see the potential it has for my woodworking.

Hope to be able to post a further update on my shop progress in a couple of weeks as the wiring and lighting is completed, floor gets installed, drywall finished and I am able to move my other new toys in and set-up.

Bruce King
09-15-2011, 10:56 PM
Nice setup! A new shop is a whole lot of work.
I have the same fence and posted some info about the setup on here before.
Seems like I remember some metal to metal contact if you follow their instructions that can be fixed with some bushings.

Here is the info on the changes needed to prevent wear and tear during use I posted before:

The incra came with glide pads for the top of the rails but they did not supply anything to keep the outside edges from rubbing metal on metal when sliding the base unit from one set of stops to the other. I put plastic washers in there for better sliding. The lock down thumbscrew was also metal on metal so I added a washer on that so it won't grind everytime you lock the front of the fence.