PDA

View Full Version : Its time to jump in!!!!

Bill Walsh
09-15-2011, 6:31 PM
I've been a lurker since 2007, guess its time to start posting. I open Sawmill Creek almost every morning at work and check out the new posts. Even though no one here knows me I feel like your all old friends as I've read lots of posts and learned a lot of neat things here. I belong to The Woodchuck Turners of Northern Vermont. Have been turning since 2002. As for turning equipment I have a Oneway 1640 w/ the outboard attachment, 3620B Powermatic and a mini Jet which after watching some pens being turned at a craft show set the hook.
I'm obsessed with sharpening, have two sharpening benches set up. Two 8" grinders, Tormek 2000, a General Internation belt grinder that I changed the direction (belt runs up instead of down) and my favorite a Sorby Pro Edge. There was a post just a day or so ago on an improvement made to the gouge jig that looked like a good idea. I've struggled with being able to grind the wings back far enough to where I like them. I now use the knife sharpening accessory post with the jig to get the shape I want.
We had an unexpected death in the family and I was honored to be asked the turn the urn. I will post a photo as soon as I get a chance and figure out how to post pictures. The finial is threaded using a Baxter Threading jig and the hollowing was done using a homemade Jamison hollowing jig w/ a Oneway laser arm and back support. The tools I've been using for hollowing for the last year are Hollow-Pro from Mike Jackofsky which are used in the homemade Jamison system. I've started texturing a small area and using a woodburning pen to outline random shapes that all have corners that fine lines are burnt from towards the center of the shape. Hard to describe and I've been lurking long enough to know everyone wants to see photos myself included.
I hope to be able to give back or help answer other turners questions based on equipment that I own and have experance with.
I'm waiting for a new 1/2" 10V Glaser gouge and a fluteless Thompson gouge in a 16" Thompson handle. I have maybe 6 Thompson gouges and really wanted to give the Glaser a try. After e-mailing both Doug and Paulo and getting responses back from both in great detail I can't see where a turner could go wrong with either of these tool manufactures. I'll post my opinion of both the Glaser and Thompson as soon as I've had a chance to try them out.
Thanks to all that have shared ideas and offered help.

wes murphy
09-15-2011, 6:37 PM
Welcome to the SMC, Bill. Always good to have another friend.

Betty Fox
09-15-2011, 6:45 PM
Welcome!!! Sorry to hear about the death in your family but I'm sure you turned a fitting urn for them. I have a great interest in learning how to do that. Maybe you could share some tips and tricks. I'm always willing to learn more.
Betty

John Keeton
09-15-2011, 7:04 PM
Bill, I would say welcome to the creek, but you have been here longer than I have, I think!! So, welcome to the "posting" part of the creek! Sounds like you have a wealth of experience to offer, and we look forward to seeing some pics of your work - and, of your equipment. Sounds like you have some neat setups.

Roger Chandler
09-15-2011, 8:48 PM
Welcome! We like pics a lot! :D Sounds like some of us could learn some things from you....;)

Bill Bolen
09-15-2011, 8:55 PM
Glad to hear you have found your "voice". I'm looking forward to your posts.

Jon Nuckles
09-15-2011, 9:03 PM
Glad to see another lurker become a poster; looking forward to the pictures.

David E Keller
09-15-2011, 9:09 PM
Welcome to the posting side of the Creek, Bill! I'm looking forward to seeing some of your work an learning a thing or three.

charlie knighton
09-15-2011, 9:28 PM
welcome Bill, sorry for your loss, hope to see pictures soon of your turnings and equipment ,
Oneway 1640 w/ the outboard attachment, 3620B Powermatic and a mini Jet cool and wow

James Combs
09-15-2011, 9:45 PM
As the other guys have said and I repeat, welcome to the posting side of the creek. That was a nice little (word) shop tour in your post, how about one in pictures.

Bernie Weishapl
09-15-2011, 9:48 PM
Welcome Bill. Sounds like you have a nice setup in your shop.

Alan Trout
09-15-2011, 9:54 PM
Bill,

Welcome and look forward to your participation.

Alan

Bill Walsh
09-16-2011, 7:49 AM
Thanks to all for the warm welcome. Should have started posting a long time ago. I will work on getting some photos of the shop. Tried last night and gave up after the camera wouldn't turn on even after replacing the batteries. Worst case I'll try my cell phone. Will also work on the size. The urn I showed in the last post is now gone but I do have another hollow form with the burnt design that I'll post over the weekend.

Steve Schlumpf
09-16-2011, 8:08 AM
Bill - Welcome! I lurked for a while when I first found this site but once I posted the first time... it became addicting because of all the great members!! Posting is a little different than lurking - so if you have any questions on how to get around in the software, let us know!

Looking forward to seeing some of your work!

Paul Heely
09-16-2011, 8:10 AM
Welcome. Looking forward to seeing pictures of your work and shop.

Paul