PDA

View Full Version : Brake Dust on wheels

Scott Shepherd
09-15-2011, 5:37 PM
We just got another vehicle for work, a ford truck about 8 years old. The front wheels were filthy when we got it, we cleaned them, and 2 days later, they were completely black again. Someone mentioned the pads were too soft and we should switch to a ceramic pad.

If it took a week or two or three, I'd be happy with it the way it is, but I really don't want our company truck to look like crap all the time and need to have the front wheels cleaned every other day.

It stops on a dime now. I love the way it stops. Better than our last truck.

Anyone got any suggestions for resolving that?

Dan Hintz
09-15-2011, 5:43 PM
Harder pads will solve that to a degree, but it will increase stopping distance, too. You could go with racing pads, which are designed for high heat, but they also have a tendency to squeek until warmed up with some hard braking.

Mark Engel
09-15-2011, 5:52 PM
The original oem pads on my 2005 F-150 did the same thing. When the pads needed replacing they were replaced with Motorcraft semi-metallic pads and that made a huge difference in the brake dust problem.

On LOML's 2006 Mustang we had ceramic pads installed and that reduced the brake dust even more.

Jeff Monson
09-15-2011, 6:17 PM
The original oem pads on my 2005 F-150 did the same thing. When the pads needed replacing they were replaced with Motorcraft semi-metallic pads and that made a huge difference in the brake dust problem.

On LOML's 2006 Mustang we had ceramic pads installed and that reduced the brake dust even more.

Yep, what Dan and Mark said, ceramic pads will help out your issue, those vintage F150's were really bad for brake dust. May not cure it but it will help considerably

Bryan Morgan
09-15-2011, 6:57 PM
Harder pads will solve that to a degree, but it will increase stopping distance, too. You could go with racing pads, which are designed for high heat, but they also have a tendency to squeek until warmed up with some hard braking.

I use Hawk pads that are like this but they create tons of dust.

Jim O'Dell
09-15-2011, 8:13 PM
Typical issue of most composite pads. I did put ceramics on the wife's van last year, and they seem to be dust free. There are shields you can put on, but I worry about them not allowing heat to dissipate properly. Jim.

Peter Stahl
09-15-2011, 9:26 PM
Typical issue of most composite pads. I did put ceramics on the wife's van last year, and they seem to be dust free. There are shields you can put on, but I worry about them not allowing heat to dissipate properly. Jim.

Like Jim said, there are shields you can put behind the mags. Can't image they would cause a problem, no different than having hub caps. Also like mentioned ceramic pads are supposed to be low dust.

Joe Pelonio
09-15-2011, 9:44 PM
Wheels are designed to look nice, not to keep the brake dust in, so some are worse than others. One thing that does help a little is a good 2-3 layers of a ceramic based car polish, it's similar to wax but better, and helps repel the dust and make it easier to clean off. Ceramic Polymer Sealant is considered permanent and not cheap, but look for something less expensive at the auto parts store with the wax. Actually, even Glass-x would probably help, but it doesn't last long in the wet weather.

Jim Rimmer
09-16-2011, 12:20 PM
I had an '03 F150 that had the dust problem. I now have an '11 and no problems and it seems to stop just fine.

Rick Moyer
09-16-2011, 7:43 PM
Wheels are designed to look nice, not to keep the brake dust in, so some are worse than others. One thing that does help a little is a good 2-3 layers of a ceramic based car polish, it's similar to wax but better, and helps repel the dust and make it easier to clean off. Ceramic Polymer Sealant is considered permanent and not cheap, but look for something less expensive at the auto parts store with the wax. Actually, even Glass-x would probably help, but it doesn't last long in the wet weather.
Just to be clear, Joe is saying polish for the wheels, not the pads. Don't polish/wax the pads!

Joe Angrisani
09-18-2011, 10:44 AM
Like Jim said, there are shields you can put behind the mags. Can't image they would cause a problem, no different than having hub caps....

Absolutely wrong. Sorry Peter. The shields have air scoops than generate an inward flow. The car design is creating a proper outward flow to keep brake components cool. Unless you like warped rotors and pulsating brakes, stay away from brake dust shields.