PDA

View Full Version : Best bandsaw blade for cutting green wood

Jay Bruckner
09-15-2011, 3:13 PM
Like the title says. At our new house, we have soft maple everywhere, and I already have enough firewood to last me probably 5 or 6 years. So I'd like to mill some of the logs I cut into lumber using my 14" 1 1/2 hp grizzly (I know, it's a little small, but it's what I have), and I need to know what is the best bandsaw blade for cutting up the smaller logs. (I just got a chainsaw mill for doing the bigger ones).

I heard the woodslicer blades were great, but their website says they're not for cutting green wood. I also hear the "woodturner's blade" from highland woodworking was good, but I'm not cutting turning blanks, I just want to rip some boards from these logs to make a closet organizer and other stuff. Does it matter?

I test cut one short 6" diameter log with a 3/4" 3 or 4 tpi blade that I've had forever, and it took forever to cut about 1 lf. Maybe it's just dull, but I'd like to get a blade that will make the work fast(er) and easy.

Thanks

Al Weber
09-16-2011, 12:54 PM
Suffolk Machinery sells a 3 tpi, alternate set Timberwolf blade they recommend for green wood. I've used it (1/2" width) on a 18" BS and it works well on green wood. Otherwise, I suspect any 2-3 TPI with alternate set will work.

Bill Bukovec
09-16-2011, 8:38 PM
I have the same blade. I cut 13" slabs with no problem.

Bill