PDA

View Full Version : My 1st experience with Grizzly Industrial, INC

Curt Taylor
09-15-2011, 12:21 PM
I thought is approiate to comment on my experience with my 1st purchase from Grizzly of a G0453PX 15" planer, considering how much poor service alot of companies seem to provide these days.
I placed the order from their website on a saturday and planer was shipped out that following tuesday. Great start! I did call CS to make sure of availability 1st. I did have some bitter issues with the local shipper who had the order to deliver from the Mpls. terminal but that's another story. After receiving and signing for the delivery I started uncrating the little beast and found that it had been tipped over at some point and broke off the two cast return roller mounts on the outfeed side of the planer. Since I had already signed for the delivery and the driver was long gone I was plenty concerned at what else may be wrong with the machine and if Griz would stand behind it. I called the 800 CS line and was quickly told that even though I signed without noting damage Grizzly would repair or replace as necessary and to continue to uncrate and test the planer. I was able to get everything cleaned on the machine and setup and tested after acouple days and everything seems to work as expected. I sent pic's of the damage and gave parts #'s of the parts that needed replace. I was told that the parts were not in stock but they would get them ordered ASAP and sent out. I was suprised to see them delivered in four working day. Many thanks to Grizzly and their Customer Service department. As for the planer itself I'll have to say all the feedback on this planer I read on this forum and others was spot on. The spiral cutterhead is really something and the only way to go in my opinion. Thats after over 30 years of using straight knives. What a difference. I also agree with posters about the lack of motor power and too short of cord length. I'll probably be using the 3hp Baldor that was running my old planer. Over all a decent machine at a very fair price.

Gregory King
09-15-2011, 12:53 PM
Curt, fill me in on the horsepower shortage. Your reference is to 3 HP on both motors. Right? All told, lucky you. Great purchase. Bang for the buck, it appears this puppy is the one in the lead in it's category. Greg

Curt Taylor
09-15-2011, 4:04 PM
Greg, I'm no expert on electric motors but my guess is the windings in the Baldor are heavier than the Grizzly motor. The HP rating means less than the actual usable amps. My understand anyway. I'm sure both ratings, HP and AMPS can be fuged a bit. What I know for a fact is the results after flipping the switch.

Mark Engel
09-15-2011, 5:46 PM
That is the model I have been looking at to replace a Ridgid R4330 lunchbox planer.

Will be looking forward to hearing your reviews of this machine after you have had a chance to use it for a while.

Ken Fitzgerald
09-15-2011, 5:51 PM
There are several ways to "market" HP or amps and neither are absolutely 100% believeable.

HP can be measured in several different methods.

Motors can be manufactured with different efficiencies and thus the current ratings or amps isn't 100% infallible either. You can have 2 different motors of same current rating and one is more efficient and can develop more "HP" than the other.

Sadly there is no "standard" measurement method required of manufactures of which I am aware. Thus it's difficult to compare Company A's claims against Company B's claims.

david paul miller
09-15-2011, 11:08 PM
I also had good service from Grizzly, from defective parts, or damage from shipping they were quick shipping, friendly and took care of every thing I asked for.

Mike Goetzke
09-16-2011, 12:06 AM
I've had this machine for about a year now and really like it. Glad to hear you like it too. I'm surprised you found yours to lack power. I'm building kitchen cabinet doors and have fed the planer 15 " wide edge glued panels with noproblems at all. Maybe you are taking too big of a bite? The most I remove is about one turn or 1/16".Mike

Trent Shirley
09-16-2011, 7:51 AM
When my bandsaw was shipped form Grizzly the crating was very poor and broke in transit. The bandsaw had no significant damage but the keys were left in the switch and bent sideways. The keys really should have been boxed.
The crating was a minimal skeletal frame and it was just stapled rather than screwed so at some point being moved some staples pulled out and the flexing of the crate broke several of it's members. They had a hard time getting it up on the fork lift to set it up on my trailer with the bottom half of the crate drooping down below the rest.

Curt Taylor
09-16-2011, 9:04 AM
I've had this machine for about a year now and really like it. Glad to hear you like it too. I'm surprised you found yours to lack power. I'm building kitchen cabinet doors and have fed the planer 15 " wide edge glued panels with noproblems at all. Maybe you are taking too big of a bite? The most I remove is about one turn or 1/16".Mike

Mike - I do have some 13" cherry panels glued that need to get ran thru but haven't had time to get back to that project. In all fairness I've probably only ran about 50 bf of 6" wide red oak thru it so far. Where I saw what I consider a lack of power was running two of those thru at the same time using the slow feed speed at two turns. I work with mostly rough sawn so being able to take a decent cut until I get close to final dimension saves alot of extra effort. It does leave a very nice finish for a planer though.

jonathan eagle
09-16-2011, 3:36 PM
Trent,
I had the same experience with my grizzly jointer planer. The crate just made it. On the other hand, my Hammer/Felder bandsaw crate was also falling apart upon arrival and had to be redelivered with an additional crate under it! Neither tools suffered any damage, whatsoever. The crates look like they are designed for one trip to your house and that's it.
Jonathan

When my bandsaw was shipped form Grizzly the crating was very poor and broke in transit. The bandsaw had no significant damage but the keys were left in the switch and bent sideways. The keys really should have been boxed.
The crating was a minimal skeletal frame and it was just stapled rather than screwed so at some point being moved some staples pulled out and the flexing of the crate broke several of it's members. They had a hard time getting it up on the fork lift to set it up on my trailer with the bottom half of the crate drooping down below the rest.