PDA

View Full Version : Can I Rant for a Minute?

Bob Oswin
04-20-2003, 7:13 PM
Last Saturday I Ventured into "XXXXX of XXXX'S" for a snoop as is my custom.

I spied and bought an 8" coarse white wheel I needed for this weeks project.
The wheel was "box packaged" so I was not able to examine it prior to purchase without destroying the packaging.
Scant minutes later in my shop I found that the stupid (Jet Brand) wheel was not only out of round but also out of flat. It wobbled on the benchtop!
Yesterday, I ventured back with wheel in hand and no invoice (blew out of my hand as the former clerk rushed me off her till to serve yet another sucker)

The counter clerk tells me no refunds or exchanges without the original invoice!

I pause for a moment....then I say "how about I go back there and get a new one and pay for it?
"It" says " that will be just fine!" (under her breath I hate you and I fart in your general direction)

I say " How about if I take it out to my truck and exchange it for this one and bring this one back in ?"
There is a pause then the loudspeaker calls out "supervisor to till #1".

I wait patiently and then have repeat the above information to the Supervisor!

30 minutes later I have another Jet wheel under my arm along with a reminder to keep my invoice in future from both employees!

Back to the shop - total 2 hours wasted. - the new Jet Wheel is just barely better than the first one. I can't use it without sacrificing more than 1/3 of the beast!.

Should I just throw it out ($16.50) or try again to now get my money back without a receipt?
Apparently my time is free and their is subject to rules and regulations.
How long do you think this will continue?
Baffled in the boonies,

bob

John Miliunas
04-20-2003, 8:24 PM
I'll bet your time is worth a heckuva' lot more than that wheel! Under that premise, 86 the crappy wheel and order yourself a good one from a reputable supplier. On the other hand, there's the principal of it all. I may not make a special trip, but I would keep that particular wheel in my vehicle and make sure to stop in the next time and talk to the same manager. THIS time, I would insist that HE open the package and inspect it in front of you *before* you walk out the store with it. Either you'll end up with a decent wheel or he'll get tired of tearing open a dozen packages and just give you your $$ back, sans receipt. :cool:

Bart Leetch
04-20-2003, 8:26 PM
If Jet really manufactured it I'd send it to them & explain that is the second one you've purchased & ask if they could send you a good one but examine it to make sure it is round before they send it.

Cam.Hedrick
04-20-2003, 8:27 PM
Now they know you, and buy the way...any reputable supplier has there customers info on transactions computerized these days. Did you write a check.....if so that is a legal receipt in my state(NC)....per my lawyer friend.
Tell 'em that they need to do a quality check on the product if they don't want to lose customers.....and if they hassle you tell them that you posted it on the web and didn't give the name of the shop out of courtesy and you may find that they treat you fine. If not, let us know and maybe a boycot is in order for Jet products and the shop.
Good luck on this mission should you choose to accept it and you will...I hope.
:D

Stan Smith
04-20-2003, 8:52 PM
Bart's got the best idea. I have had nothing but excellent experiences with Jet Tech Support. Give them a call and explain the problem. I'll bet they will make things right.

Stan

Bob Oswin
04-20-2003, 9:19 PM
Originally posted by Stan Smith
Bart's got the best idea. I have had nothing but excellent experiences with Jet Tech Support. Give them a call and explain the problem. I'll bet they will make things right.

Stan
Your are probably right Stan:
The right people can make a difference in resolving these dilemas.
However, 2 trips to the store and now a third plus a call to the distributor are a bit more than I bargained for over a wheel that should have been checked out as satisfactory before it came into my hands.
So the next time you slip under the knife and you look up at somebody like me you better hope that I am not resolving the short comings of my tools equipment only if you complain.

bob

Patrick Smith
04-21-2003, 12:30 AM
Dr. Bob, I probably can't answer your question to your liking since I would just pitch the wheel and write it off as lesson learned. I've been in that situation a few too many times locally with almost ALL the stores. I pretty much gave up and started using Lee Valley unless it's a big tool or an emergency. They are such a great company it's hard to find anything that's not positive to say about them. You could even take the money saved off full retail (on most stuff, seems like) and get faster shipping if you want. Their web site rocks too, I'm in that biz and their site is one of the most user friendly and efficient on the net. I'm a big fan if you can't tell.

Anyway, that's what I would do. And I hope if I come under your knife someday I'm not awake enough to look up at you. No offense :)

Jim Engel
04-21-2003, 9:15 AM
It seems to me that by offering the merchandise for
sale the store is giving you the complete right to
examine it.

I therefore have no hesitation to open
and examine anything I am considering buying.

Bob Oswin
04-21-2003, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by Jim Engel
It seems to me that by offering the merchandise for
sale the store is giving you the complete right to
examine it.

I therefore have no hesitation to open
and examine anything I am considering buying.

Interesting view Jim.

I wonder out loud that if a merchant offers a product for sale that is not readily accessable to proper examination or lacks enough data to allow the consumer to make a logical decision, that the merchant should accept some responsibility for the lost time and travel for the consumer.
I realize that "caveat emptor" applies in most situations but this constant branding of inferior and or defective merchandise is becoming somewhat annoying.

Most recently some vendors have persued complaints via the discussions on the internet that negatively impact their businesses.
At the same time they offer no clear path to voice concerns to managment at their various venues.

Surely there should be a reasonable level of quality control enforced.
I note with some chagrin that the store owners make very sure that the monies I give them pass their ridgid inspection prior to proceeding with the turn over of products to me.

All I ask is for the same opportunity without several return trips.

p.s. I asked for a minute and have already overstyed the topic.
I apologise.

bob

Jim Engel
04-21-2003, 12:11 PM
I think we should all adopt the nominal dollar concept.

Thus, when presented a bill at the lumber yard for
$100 we should smile and say "Since that is of
course in terms of 'nominal dollars' here is $80
actual dollars as complete payment."

And when in the check out line the lady asks you
"Is that 3/4 plywood we of couse smile and say
'No, that is one size smaller'."

Of course I meant that it was actually 23/32,
but if she wants to charge me the 5/8 ths price
then that is her perogative, because we all know
the typical lumber market sales clearks know
everything....

Stan Smith
04-21-2003, 1:41 PM
So the next time you slip under the knife and you look up at somebody like me you better hope that I am not resolving the short comings of my tools equipment only if you complain.

bob [/B][/QUOTE]

Wow, that sounds like a threat. I better not have anything happen to me if I go to Alberta. <g>

Stan

Stan Smith
04-21-2003, 1:45 PM
I pretty much gave up and started using Lee Valley unless it's a big tool or an emergency. They are such a great company it's hard to find anything that's not positive to say about them. You could even take the money saved off full retail (on most stuff, seems like) and get faster shipping if you want. Their web site rocks too, I'm in that biz and their site is one of the most user friendly and efficient on the net. I'm a big fan if you can't tell.

Hey, Patrick all I can say is mega dittos to Lee Valley. I have hardly ever had to call them because their website is the greatest. However, it's one of the few places that I don't mind calling because the people are so nice.

Stan