PDA

View Full Version : Kreg DK1100 Pressure loss issue

Rick Fisher
09-14-2011, 11:40 PM
Hello

I picked up a 2004 Kreg DK1100..

It has some issues and has been in storage for some time.

Anyway.. first issue seemed to be a leaking airline Lubricator.

The lubricator is a TPC 3000 .. Pretty small unit.. So I grabbed another brand, Norgen, similar size and replaced it ..

The problem is air pressure loss when the tool is activated.

I am running it on a 3/8" x 25' air hose, and it loses 40 PSI ..

The Gauge will read 110 PSI when ready, hit the foot pedal and it drops to 70 psi.. too low run an air drill in this application.

Incidentally, the Pressure loss is identical irregardless of if the drill is cutting wood, or running free ..

So I am a bit stumped.. What would cause that much pressure loss ? There is ample air supply and pressure.. that is not the issue..

Rick Fisher
09-15-2011, 12:30 AM
Strange stuff..

I tried a 1/2" air hose, 25' long.. no luck .. terrible pressure loss. .

Then I decided to push the Kreg up to the big compressor, took all the fittings off and screwed the 6' hose supplied by Kreg right into the regulator..

Set it at 120 PSI and did a test cut.. The pressure dropped to 95 PSI and it punched a hole in a maple board with little effort.. Same pressure drop if run without cutting wood.

Not really sure what is normal for this machine .. losing 25 PSI seems extreme for an air tool, but it works. Tomorrow I will grease the Sioux air drill motor in the machine.. Kreg calls for it once a month.. doubt its been kept up ..

Wish I knew more about Air drills .. How fussy are they ?

If it wont run on an air line, I will have to put it right next to the compressor..

Rick Alexander
09-15-2011, 8:05 AM
Could you not run flexible copper tubing (say 1/2 inch) to the supplied line and prevent the pressure loss? I don't know if it would work - just thinkin out loud here. Maybe even T off prior to the regulator off the compressor and put a second regulator at the intersection of the supplied line and the end of the copper.

Rick Fisher
09-15-2011, 8:33 PM
Hey Rick..

Thanks for the response..

I got a response from Kreg today saying basically the same thing.. Air hose should be no longer than about 5 feet.. This is my first experience with the machine, it appears it really hogs the air .. lol

I am thinking I will have a seperate regulator on this machine and run 3/4" Pipe to it, placing it less than 10 feet from the compressor.

Clint Olver
09-15-2011, 11:28 PM
That's odd. I have this machine hooked up to a little portable compressor, and it drills several holes before the compressor motor even kicks on.

C

Rick Fisher
09-16-2011, 1:18 AM
That is odd .. Weird in fact.

Does yours have a Sioux Air motor ? Wonder if yours in newer ?

I origionally tried it on a Makita 2400 .. it only finished 1/2 the cycle.

Or is yours electric, with air for the piston ?

Clint Olver
09-16-2011, 4:36 PM
Or is yours electric, with air for the piston ?

There is the difference! 1 1/2 hp electric motor to spin the drill bit.

C

Rick Fisher
09-17-2011, 3:41 AM
Haha.. Well, there ya go ..

Let me tell ya.. the model with the Pneumatic motor is less forgiving to small portable compressors...

I have mine running well now, but want to come up with a pneumatic holding tank of about 2 gallons which will keep 150 PSI right at the air motor..

All that aside, it sure rattles off pocket holes fast and easy.. The old blue Kreg Jig will be collecting dust .. With the compressor set at 120 PSI .. its impressive to use..