PDA

View Full Version : No 43 - Black Walnut Winged Box

James Combs
09-14-2011, 10:10 PM
I have to give Mike Peace credit for my inspiration on this one. Watched his video (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?170724-My-Winged-Box-Demonstration-on-Youtube&highlight=winged+box) in his Winged Box Video thread and had to make one myself.

Stats:
Material = Black Walnut
Length = 8"
Height = 3.5" with lid
Width = 2.5"
Finish = Several coats of WOP the a final coat of rattle can poly.

Notes:
I dropped it once and broke one of the corner feet off of it.:mad: But I think I recovered well.:o Let me know if you see it. I could have done better on the inside of the lid though. Lots of tool marks there.

Bernie Weishapl
09-14-2011, 10:13 PM
That is a beauty James. I really like the embellishment. Well done.

John Oliver35
09-14-2011, 11:45 PM
That is very nice work! Walnut is my favorite, and that grain is beautiful!

Roger Chandler
09-15-2011, 6:36 AM
Hey JD,

I"m liking this one a whole lot...........very nice work indeed! Beautifully finished as well..........that would make a fine gift for someone's coffee table!

Pete Jordan
09-15-2011, 6:43 AM
Wow James!

One of the nicest boxes I've seen!

John Keeton
09-15-2011, 8:02 AM
Very nice work, JD, and a good save - I couldn't see the fix.

Michelle Rich
09-15-2011, 9:33 AM
super vessel..I like the inlay

James Combs
09-15-2011, 3:53 PM
That is a beauty James. I really like the embellishment. Well done.
Thanks Bernie, It was more or less an after thought. Had the cap (a third one) made and still didn't like it then remembered I had some green stone like powder for inlays so I gave it a try. It was a little coarse but didn't come out too bad.

That is very nice work! Walnut is my favorite, and that grain is beautiful!
John it is one of my favorites also but not necessarily my favorite to turn, just to look at.

Hey JD, I"m liking this one a whole lot...........very nice work indeed! Beautifully finished as well..........that would make a fine gift for someone's coffee table!
Thanks Roger, I will be putting it with some other items in a local craft shop consignment. We will see how it goes. If it doesn't sell fairly quickly, it may become a Christmas present.;)

Wow James! One of the nicest boxes I've seen!
Thanks a bunch Pete. I keep trying. I will never match the JK's or DD's on here but...:)

Very nice work, JD, and a good save - I couldn't see the fix.
Thanks John, always appreciate your critiques. Check out the upper right hand leg in the 6th photo. If you look closely you can see a faint dark line.

super vessel..I like the inlay
Thanks Michelle, always enjoy hearing the female perspective on my turnings.

Jim Burr
09-15-2011, 4:59 PM
This is a really complex turning JD...The inlay and grooving are very cool! Good looking wings...glad you have all your nuckles!!

Steve Mawson
09-15-2011, 10:24 PM
Quite the unique idea. Like it, any idea how long it took to turn??

Mike Peace
09-15-2011, 10:36 PM
Well done. I like the inlay a lot.

Glad the youtube video was helpful. Again my inspiration came from Bob Hamilton's youtube video series. You got to love the wealth of turning info here on SMC.

Kathy Marshall
09-16-2011, 2:44 AM
Great little box James! I like the inlay too!

Paul Heely
09-16-2011, 6:32 AM
That's a fine looking box, James. I saw a Jimmy Clewes video where he does one and it looked pretty scary with those wings coming around. Whatever you did to fix the foot looks to have worked, I can't see anything.

Paul

Donny Lawson
09-16-2011, 6:50 AM
That's very nice work. I may have to watch the video. It looks fun to make.

James Combs
09-16-2011, 2:53 PM
This is a really complex turning JD...The inlay and grooving are very cool! Good looking wings...glad you have all your nuckles!!
Thanks Jim, I am too. These types of turnings sound like propellers or lawnmower blades:eek:.

Quite the unique idea. Like it, any idea how long it took to turn??
Steve, Thanks but like I said in the OP, I have to thank Mike Peace for the inspiration.
It took a lot longer then it should have what with the repair and trialing three different lids. If I had done it correctly from scratch and including finishing it shouldn't have taken more then a nice afternoon.

Well done. I like the inlay a lot.
Glad the youtube video was helpful. Again my inspiration came from Bob Hamilton's youtube video series. You got to love the wealth of turning info here on SMC.
Thanks Mike, I really like some of the ones I saw in the background of your video. I would have like this one better with a better mixture of fine gravels in with the large chunks for the inlay. The epoxy between the large chunks is pretty translucent almost to the point of not having any color in some areas.

Great little box James! I like the inlay too!
Kathy like I told Michelle, it is always nice to hear the female perspective on these things.

That's a fine looking box, James. I saw a Jimmy Clewes video where he does one and it looked pretty scary with those wings coming around. Whatever you did to fix the foot looks to have worked, I can't see anything.
Paul
Ohhh Paul! It's not so bad, its not much different then playing with exposed rotating lawn mower blades or airplane propellers.:D:rolleyes:

That's very nice work. I may have to watch the video. It looks fun to make.
Thanks Donny and do check out Mike,s video. Mike did a great job on it.

Ken Fitzgerald
09-16-2011, 3:33 PM
Very nice project.....nice idea and great recovery! Very well done James.