PDA

View Full Version : A Unisaw and a Farewell...

Jason Tuinstra
02-24-2005, 10:32 AM
for now that is. :p

Monday my family and I make the big move to California. Apparently, just in time for monsoon season :eek: Sheeeesssh!

Packing the shop was a major pain! It took me 2-3 hours to pack my study at the church (my calling). It has taken me 2-3 full days to pack my shop (my hobby). Is there a problem with this :confused:

Well, I decided that if I could sell my contractor's saw that I would. Just Sat. a guy at church was talking about getting into woodworking and he ended up buying my saw. Bonus! Now I don't have to pack it, and, now I get to buy a new Unisaw!

An hour ago I ordered the new saw to be delivered to my new address in Lemoore CA. I went with bargain deal that Woodworker's Supply has going right now with free shipping and a free mobile base. They were going so fast that I thought I better pull the trigger. The downside is that we'll be renting a home for the first few months. So right now I have a toy that I can't play with :( , but I'll get over it quick enough.

So in a day or so I need to pack up the computer. I just wanted to throw one last post at ya' this side of the Mississippi.

See you again soon - Lord willing!

Jason

joseph j shields
02-24-2005, 10:38 AM
Jason,

Good Luck with your move!

I'm sure the move is a pita....:rolleyes:

But is has a silver lining.... a new unisaw :)

Did you get the unifence or the bessie fence????

-jj

Dave Brandt
02-24-2005, 10:41 AM
Best of luck in your move Jason! I sure would like to pick your brain about packing the shop up. I'll probably be moving later this year or early next year (as soon as we find a place further south). I was thinking I'd sell off the entire shop, at least the big stuff and start anew. Even so, packing all that gear up scares me. And don't worry about the monsoon season. By the time you get there, it'll probably be over and another season will be starting. Maybe fire or earthquake, but most probably mudslide season. :eek:

Dan Gill
02-24-2005, 10:43 AM
Go with God, Jason. Just remember that it's not the amount of stuff you use in your calling or your hobby that counts. It's how you use it.

Jerry Olexa
02-24-2005, 10:46 AM
Jason, have a safe journey and get settled in your new surroundings. We'll all miss your ww results for a few months. Stay in touch. We all wish you well. Godspeed and you'll make great impact in your new location.

Ted Shrader
02-24-2005, 10:46 AM
Jason -

Have a safe and happy trip across the country. e-See you on the other end!

Ted

Corvin Alstot
02-24-2005, 10:51 AM
Jason/
Best of luck with your move.

Funny, from the look of your work I would have thought you were already using a cabinet saw, I think you will really enjoy your new unisaw. I guess it is really the craftsmans and not the tools.

Be safe,
Corvin

Randy Moore
02-24-2005, 11:06 AM
Jason,

Good luck on your mave. Follow your calling.
When you gewt your shop set up along with your computer show us what you have made on the left coast.

God be with you.
Randy

Bob Johnson2
02-24-2005, 11:18 AM
Make an extension cord, hook it up to the dryer connection. There should be plenty of room in the living room for the saw, it's only a rental.

Good luck and enjoy.

Jim Becker
02-24-2005, 11:41 AM
Safe travels, Jason!!! (And nice pre-gloat... :D )

Jim Stastny
02-24-2005, 12:58 PM
Dominie ;) ,

Blessings on your new ministry. Looking forward to your return to the Creek. Nice thing about this place it goes wherever you can plug a computer into the internet.

Mike Scoggins
02-24-2005, 1:42 PM
Jason,

I wish you the best on your move and your new assignment. Keep your hiatus from SMC as short as you can. We'll miss your posts until then. And...we look forward to many posts about your new shop, whenever and wherever that happens, with the Unisaw being a great way to start it!

You've got a great boss, and I pray that He blesses you in the place to which He has called you!

Mike

Ellen Benkin
02-24-2005, 2:03 PM
Welcome to Sunny California where we can now boast more rain than Seattle. More is always better, right?

Jason Tuinstra
02-24-2005, 3:24 PM
Hey Guys,

Thanks for the send off.

jj - I got the Biesmeyer because it's the one I'm most familiar with. My Jet had the xacta fence which I really liked.

Jason

Karl Laustrup
02-24-2005, 3:46 PM
Jason, have a safe trip. I would presume you will be traveling I-80. Be careful out there, especially in Wyoming. Weather can change very quickly this time of year.:eek:

We'll look for you on the left side.:)

Jason Tuinstra
02-24-2005, 4:06 PM
Jason, have a safe trip. I would presume you will be traveling I-80. Be careful out there, especially in Wyoming. Weather can change very quickly this time of year.:eek:

We'll look for you on the left side.:)

Karl, actually we just decided to go the southerly route - I 40. It's almost exactly 100 miles difference. Though I've been told Flagstaff can be blustery this time of the year as well, we figured the odds of good weather are better in the south. But thanks for the heads up!

Bill Grumbine
02-24-2005, 4:06 PM
Packing the shop was a major pain! It took me 2-3 hours to pack my study at the church (my calling). It has taken me 2-3 full days to pack my shop (my hobby). Jason

Jason, there is a sermon in there, just waiting for your new charges! I am sure God will be watching over you, and may you have a safe and boring trip. We will all look forward to your reappearance here on SMC.

Bill

Jason Tuinstra
02-24-2005, 4:25 PM
Jason, there is a sermon in there, just waiting for your new charges! I am sure God will be watching over you, and may you have a safe and boring trip. We will all look forward to your reappearance here on SMC.

Bill

Thanks Bill. I'm looking forward to that boring trip right about now!

Jeff Sudmeier
02-24-2005, 4:33 PM
Jason, good luck on the move! I am sure all will go well for you. Be sure to let us know as soon as you can that you and your family (tools too) are safe and sound.

Congrats on the UNI! ;)

Ken Fitzgerald
02-24-2005, 5:30 PM
Jason....good luck with the move. Take your digital camera and shoot lots of photos during the move. Get back to us when you can. Have a safe trip!

Norman Hitt
02-24-2005, 5:42 PM
[QUOTE=Jason Tuinstra]for now that is. :p

Monday my family and I make the big move to California. Apparently, just in time for monsoon season :eek: Sheeeesssh!

Packing the shop was a major pain! It took me 2-3 hours to pack my study at the church (my calling). It has taken me 2-3 full days to pack my shop (my hobby). Is there a problem with this :confused:

Jason, congratulations on the new saw, and have a Safe trip on your move. In addition to weather checks at the motels, stop at Truck stops occassionally, and check the weather on TV, and ask some of the Drivers about road conditions ahead, so you don't get any surprises, especially for the first 100 miles west of Flagstaff.

Now as to the Packing; The Office, mostly contains "WORDS", where the shop contains "TOOLS". The words are like the "how to" part of the Shop, which includes tool description, safety, proper useage, assembly instructions, tune up, and trouble shooting, but, "YOU" are the "TOOL", in this case. Words apply to Lives as well as tools, and we all know that Words pack a lot easier than the tools themselves, so your packing time is definitely not out of line.

Best of All, in your new Placement, & check in when you get there.

Jason Tuinstra
02-24-2005, 6:15 PM
Norman, well said! And thanks for the advice.

Joe Mioux
02-24-2005, 6:18 PM
Jason:

Best wishes with the move. Hope all goes smooth. Looking forward to hearing your next update in California

Joe

John Bailey
02-24-2005, 6:42 PM
Jason,

Good luck with your new move. As I look out at my yet unfinished shop under 3 ft. of snow, monsoon season looks pretty inviting. At least you won't have to wait in the cold for the water to melt and run away. Hope your new calling goes well.

John

Christopher Stahl
02-24-2005, 6:45 PM
Jason,
Have a safe trip! I just moved from Palo Alto back to Pennsylvania at the end of 2003, which seems like yesterday. Except for the rainy season, I'm sure you'll be enjoying the nice weather. I hope you continue to visit the creek even though you may not get to use your new equipment for a little while.

take care,
chris

larry merlau
02-24-2005, 6:51 PM
i am sure you wont need your ark :D those days are long past. just polish your new saw while waiting for the time to make some more shaker stuff outa some sturdy gopherwood :D i will be lookin forward to your return on here. thanks for your help in the past

Jason Tuinstra
02-24-2005, 7:21 PM
Shaker stuff outa gopherwood :D

Hmmmm..... Larry, you might be onto something there. :D

John Scarpa
02-25-2005, 12:12 AM
Jason,
Congratulations on the new saw. I know you will make good use of it. And welcome to California. I hope its dry upon your arrival. We are experiencing a little relief from the rain but the weather man says "more to come!"
John

Kelly C. Hanna
02-25-2005, 8:34 AM
Congrats and have a nice easy move...I've never had one so tell me what they are like if you do!! :D :D :D

Chad Pater
02-25-2005, 9:43 AM
I too pray for a uneventful trip. I think it was a wise decision to upgrade saw at this time. I will be looking for the "we made it in one peice" post. There is a lot of sick kids around our area so hopefully that stays away from you too. Traveling with sick kids isn't much fun :eek: .DAMHIKT
God be with you till we meet (post? doesn't have the same ring to it :) ) again
Chad