PDA

View Full Version : Desk

Toney Robertson
09-14-2011, 9:06 PM
My son asked me if we could make a desk. He picked out the design off the net and since we made it together it was one of the most enjoyable projects I have ever done.

55" long x 24" wide and 31" high. The base is cherry, the undercarriage is honey locust and the frame around the top is walnut that I dyed (REALLY hated to do that but the piece needed it). All the solid wood came from my Dad's land and I personally cut down the cherry and honey locust trees.

I really hope that it is handed down through the family and eventually becomes a family heirloom.

The veneer for the top is smoked eucalyptus. My son saw it online and fell in love with it. It is very textured which adds a unique quality to the piece.

He did not want a handle on the drawer so I went with a push latch mechanism. Works well, after I supplemented the ejection with a small spring.

All comments welcomed.

Taking pictures of something this big is WAY more difficult than the pictures I take of my turnings. I definitely need to work on getting better at it!!!

Jamie Buxton
09-14-2011, 10:25 PM
Smoked eucalytus? What's that?

gary Zimmel
09-14-2011, 10:30 PM
A build with your son... Doesn't get any better than that Toney.
Sweet job.

Bruce Page
09-14-2011, 10:31 PM
Great father & son project! The pictures are a little dark, it might show better if you used a lighter background.
I have not heard of smoked eucalyptus, can you tell us about it? It is very beautiful.

Ken Fitzgerald
09-14-2011, 10:32 PM
He'll think of you, the time you spent together and appreciate it long after you are gone from this earth. Very nice project Toney and it is a family heirloom.

Toney Robertson
09-15-2011, 8:49 PM
I do not know the exact process but I assume that smoked eucalyptus is on the same order as fumed oak. A process to enhance the grain of the wood. I think it looks very cool. I got the veneer from a guy off of Ebay. I have purchased from him before and have always been pleased with the veneer and the price. Not affiliated with the guy, just a satisfied customer.

Some new pics. I forgot to adjust my white balance before. Like I said, I am used to taking pictures of small stuff inside a tent.

Thanks for the comments and I definitely agree that I will not do another project that will give me greater joy than building this desk with my son.

Toney