PDA

View Full Version : Beauty and the beast winners!!!

Josh Bowman
09-14-2011, 8:44 PM
Several of our members placed in the B&B contest, and 2 of them won 1st place!!!!
Congrats to David DeCristoforo and Tim Rinehart. Great job. David's is beauty on the left and Tim's is the beast on the right
http://www.woodturnersamerica.com/images/stories/Contests/Beauty_And_The_Beast/Entries/Beauty/DavidDecristoforo_1_thumb.jpghttp://www.woodturnersamerica.com/images/stories/Contests/Beauty_And_The_Beast/Entries/Beast/TimRinehart_1a_thumb.jpg

Dick Wilson
09-14-2011, 8:50 PM
Congrats David and Tim

Nate Davey
09-14-2011, 8:57 PM
Congrats to both of you. Beautiful work

Marty Eargle
09-14-2011, 9:07 PM
All the entries were amazing! Well done David and Tim...very much deserved!

charlie knighton
09-14-2011, 9:07 PM
congratulations to both, well done all

Scott Hackler
09-14-2011, 9:17 PM
Congrats to both guys. Great pieces and a great contest with awesome prizes.

Ken Fitzgerald
09-14-2011, 9:56 PM
Beauties both! Glad I wasn't judging that contest.

Bill Neddow
09-14-2011, 10:02 PM
Fantastic work. Congratulations, both of you.

Roger Chandler
09-14-2011, 10:13 PM
Congratulations to David and Tim...........both are exceptional pieces!

Bernie Weishapl
09-14-2011, 10:14 PM
Congrats David and Tim. Both well deserved.

Greg Just
09-14-2011, 10:22 PM
way to go - congrats to both

Ted Calver
09-14-2011, 10:23 PM
Kudos to you both!!

Tim Rinehart
09-14-2011, 10:26 PM
Wowzer...what can be said besides a sincere thank you and congrats to all who were able to be involved with this. I was ecstatic and honored to think I would make the top 10, and figured it would end there with so many entries from artists whose work I truly admire.
As has been said, this competition really took alot of folks out of their comfort zone, stretching their imagination and creative energy. It shows by looking at so many of the entries that we saw and voted for. Personally speaking...it got really uncomfortable for me as I was working on this piece. I had about 4 different pieces going on at the same time, partially as backup if the texturing didn't go as envisioned, if the dyeing didn't come out right...and so on.

I had to remake the lid on the day before the cutoff and just barely had time to get my photo tent set up and some shots taken to get both pieces entered. I probably have 20 hours in this piece between the turning, carving, texturing, burning, dyeing, painting, etc. Yep...definitely a beast, but I'm glad so many of you liked it. I thank you all.

David DeCristoforo
09-14-2011, 10:27 PM
I'm speechless... No, really.... I am....

Harry Robinette
09-14-2011, 10:37 PM
Outstanding work to both of you, How about a collaboration piece Like Tim making the base for David's hollow form.
Really outstanding work guys you should both be very proud of you work.

Chris Burgess
09-14-2011, 10:38 PM
Those are some spectacular pieces. All of the B&B pieces were amazing. They were all so far out of the box I still have not been able to wrap my novice turning mind around how they were done. Amazing work guys......all of you that participated

Alan Trout
09-14-2011, 11:31 PM
Congrats to everyone.

Alan

Tim Thiebaut
09-15-2011, 12:36 AM
Congrats to both of you!!! You both did an awesome job on these works of art, well done, and well deserved!!

Brian Kent
09-15-2011, 12:36 AM
David, I just need to tell you how deeply impressed I am with your artwork. You have taken a beautiful direction and developed it awesomely. Thank you for your contribution to the art of turning, and congratulations.

Kathy Marshall
09-15-2011, 1:12 AM
Congrats to you both! Awesome work all around!

Faust M. Ruggiero
09-15-2011, 7:18 AM
Though I surely congratulate both winners, the runners up and all who proudly entered their work, the real winners are those of us who looked forward to seeing each new entry as they were turned in. There is a lot of talent in the wood turning community and we got to be the recipients of a real gallery show. Thanks to all including John Hart and WTA for holding the contest and all the sponsers who donated prizes. Aren't we fortunate to be a part of all this?
faust

Tony De Masi
09-15-2011, 7:30 AM
Congrats gentlemen. Wonderful pieces and well deserved honors.

John Keeton
09-15-2011, 7:56 AM
I don't get over to WTA often, but did take a few moments to view the top ten that were posted. We have some talented folks!! Great to see SMC represented so well in the contest, and while there were many fantastic works submitted, these two deserve the recognition. Both are wonderfully done. CONGRATS, guys!!

Bill Bolen
09-15-2011, 12:00 PM
WTG guys! Stiff competition indeed.

Rob Cunningham
09-15-2011, 12:48 PM
Congrats David and Tim. Outstanding pieces.

David E Keller
09-15-2011, 5:35 PM
Congrats fellas! Lovely work deserving of the recognition!

David DeCristoforo
09-15-2011, 7:16 PM
When I entered this competition, I had no expectations. In fact I had told my wife that I really needed a chainsaw and that there was a turning competition in which a chainsaw was one of the prizes. The only catch was that you had to not make the cut to win it. A true dilemma!

When my entry made the top ten, I felt very satisfied, even though I knew it precluded me from a shot at the chainsaw. When the results of the second round of voting was announced, I was more than pleased to have made it into the top five. And when, a few days later I saw that I had made the final cut, I was ecstatic. Last night when I saw that my entry had been chosen for first place, I could not believe my eyes! I had this funny feeling that I should wait till morning and see if it was still there!

John Hart generated a lot of excitement with this competition. It was a brilliant concept and it really caught the imagination of some phenomenal artists. I am honored to have been a part of this, most grateful for the validation of my work that it represents and still in disbelief that my contribution would be recognized in this manner. So, thank you, John (and everyone else who worked to make this happen) for providing the opportunity, thanx to all who voted for my work and thanx to the final judges for selecting it from a field of top notch work from top notch artists. What a ride...