PDA

View Full Version : Some odd screwdrivers in the cheap section of the store

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
09-14-2011, 8:36 PM
So it seems that most quality screwdrivers have the darker tips, because they aren't plated there, or they're ground after plating or whatever.

In my shopping travels I've noticed some bargain-bin screwdrivers at the big box stores and dollar stores that struck me as funny - someone must have noticed this, and there are more than a couple cheap screwdrivers for sale now where they've taken your standard cheapo screwdrivers and dipped the tips in black paint. I mean, it's very obviously paint, most likely over the plating. I don't know why I'm sharing other than I find it funny.

Andrae Covington
09-14-2011, 9:59 PM
Some screwdrivers have a black oxide tip which supposedly wears better... and reduces glare. (Have you ever had a problem with a glaring screwdriver tip?:confused:) I guess the lower-end ones are painted to try to approximate that look. It's just like the John Economaki blog post I noted once or twice before where he talked about touring a factory in China. They were dipping pot-metal twist drill bits into dye to match the color of the four sizes that were actually hardened tool steel.:(:eek::mad::rolleyes: