PDA

View Full Version : Gimlet Bits

Mike Givney
09-14-2011, 7:18 PM
Had a good visit to a local antique shop this afternoon. In addition to a couple other nice items, I got a set of bits. They look just like the bit on a handled gimlet but, they're made for a brace an are sized 6,7, and 8. Made by Snell mtg co. So, is that what I have, gimlet bits? Also, a bit shaped like a tapered birdcage awl.. Again for a brace. Thoughts?

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
09-14-2011, 8:19 PM
I really like those in a 6" brace for pilot holes for screws. (even better if it's an old-style, with no heavy ratcheting stuff.)

Andrae Covington
09-14-2011, 10:06 PM
Had a good visit to a local antique shop this afternoon. In addition to a couple other nice items, I got a set of bits. They look just like the bit on a handled gimlet but, they're made for a brace an are sized 6,7, and 8. Made by Snell mtg co. So, is that what I have, gimlet bits? Also, a bit shaped like a tapered birdcage awl.. Again for a brace. Thoughts?

Yep. Here's a a few I have.

Mike Givney
09-14-2011, 10:10 PM
That's them!

harry strasil
09-14-2011, 10:40 PM
tapered like a birdcage awl? The old style or the new style, if its a long taper its probably a real old tapered reamer.

Mike Givney
09-15-2011, 9:21 PM
I imagine that is probably what it is Harry. It's about 3" long, four sided and tapered and ends in a rounded point. Unmarked. I tried it out in a length of pine and it did ream...coarse. I'll give I a go in some hardwood.