PDA

View Full Version : Millers Falls eggbeater drill question

Rob Harris
09-14-2011, 5:25 PM
I just picked up a tired Millers Falls No.5. It doesn't exactly match anything in the typology I found online, being somewhere between a type 10 and type 15. It has an exotic wood handle and crank knob, but I can't tell what kind of wood. It has the triangular logo and Millers Falls, Mass stamp, a straight sided crank set flush against the main gear, and a cast iron frame with steel insert. Everything looks original based upon the pins which look like they've been there forever.

I need a new side handle and threaded end cap for the main handle. Anyone have any spares? If not, can someone tell me if the handles were cocobolo or rosewood so I can fashion replacement parts?

Erik Manchester
09-14-2011, 5:56 PM
Rob,

Suggest that you take a look at George Langford's site http://www.georgesbasement.com/ for a lot of good info on the Millers Falls eggbeater drills.

The No 2 type study http://www.georgesbasement.com/mfno2typestudy/mfno2types.html indicates that the main handles were made of rosewood, cocobolo and stained hardwood in that order, based upon age. The side handles were always of stained hardwood, but I have seen some that people made out of cocobolo that were sharp looking if not authentic.

You will likely find it easier to find a whole new handle off of another drill than to get an endcap that matches the finish on yours. If you have a lathe it is easy to make a new handle, and I wouldn't worry about the screw top as they work just as well without the removable top. Good luck on your search.

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
09-14-2011, 8:26 PM
I've yet to find a time where the side handle is useful, but it sure gets in the way of setting the tool down.

Jim Koepke
09-15-2011, 11:21 AM
I've yet to find a time where the side handle is useful, but it sure gets in the way of setting the tool down.

You have yet to do any horizontal drilling at belly button level.

jtk

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
09-15-2011, 11:34 AM
That's true - I guess I had forgotten that! I have used it in those cases... I'm too young to be forgetting this much.